What was your first online/network gaming experience?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Re: What was your first online/network gaming experience?

Post by thl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Don't think I went online at all during the 90s as I usually settle with the simultaneous 4-5 player option.

It wasn't until 2006-2007 when one of my brothers had the Xbox360, I experienced the online multiplayer from Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for the first time. It was incredibly immersive as you up against millions of people (or strangers), who're determine to get something out of those matches and it can end on either winning or losing side.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Chu Chu Rocket & Toy Racer on the Dreamcast!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Only game i've ever played online is MarioKart Wii.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Unreal Tournament when I first got with the missus in 2003. And I'm just as crap now, case in point MW2 :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Rapidmollusc

Post by Rapidmollusc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:01 pm

hmmm....well i remember doing a null modem link with a pair of Amigas.....Stunt Car Racer, Knights of the Sky (possibly...or did i just make that up??) another driving game...and erm..something else.

First online was with a PC and would have been Command & Conquer and Worms Armageddon.

First console experience would have been on the PS2 with Twisted Metal Black Online.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm

LAN: Duke Nukem. My mate had two PCs hooked up, and we spent the whole A level results day getting drunk while playing this and Tekken 2 on the PS1. Great days!

Online: Perfect Dark Zero. Playing Eradication and Infection really opened my eyes to the possibilities of online gaming. Then I got Gears of War and I was hooked.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Worms Armageddon, probably around 2000-2001.

As I had no idea what I was doing, I entered the first match I actually got to work (as my internet connection was very, very bad, and I'd failed about 10 times beforehand) and found myself confused when, rather than blast me into a thousand pieces, my opponent instead started making his way through an intricate maze using his Ninja Rope. Only later did I learn this was a rope race, where players try to get through the maze with their rope as fast as possible. My opponent had made no attempt to communicate his desire to race me rather than shoot at my team, and assumed I knew all along.

I decided to fire at him anyway when it was my turn. Words were said. Expleitives were uttered. Decided not to bother with it again.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Well, it would probably be either Pokemon Crater (a random browser Pokemon clone) or Counter-Strike: Source.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Never played anything "online", just networked with other people - Animal Crossing on the DS, and a bit of Mario Kart DS as well. That's it.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 am

Yeah, bit embarrassed, still a virgin in that regard :oops:

Rapidmollusc

Post by Rapidmollusc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:19 am

ahh, forgot that i linked some old Gameboys a few times for Tetris, F1 and a few others

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:32 am

Used to play Quake 2 online on my 56k modem, loved capture the flag and got very good at it. Still remember the levels in my head i played it so much ! Difficult times though as the parents would suddenly want to use the phone during a huge competition so wanted to unplug me !

Played Red Alert over the network at ICL in the 90's a ton, great great laugh, then moved onto Half Life which was good. Playing that for 3 or 4 hours after work and then walking down these old corridors (Worked in this big old old building) just made you jump a ton !

Then played Madden in 2000 which i enjoyed but it was boring as hell when you play some kid in America and they constantly use AI busting plays, just no point and very unrealistic when you lose 73-0 every game

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 am

First online game was the text-only MUD hosted alongside the 'monochrome' BBS at City University back in 1991 (when I started studying at Loughborough). A few of us would play it from the VT52 terminals in the library or computer centre. Try to imagine a time when no-one had heard of 'W.W.W. dot' anything!
First local network game was probably Stunt Car Racer, played between my Atari ST and a fellow student's Commodore Amiga with a null modem cable, about a year later. We also hosted four-player games of Lotus Turbo II, occasional bouts of Falcon, and later I played Populous on a similar setup.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:05 am

Hmm... Nullmodem Transport Tycoon Deluxe I think for network.

And Counter-Strike on 33.6 modem on the internet.

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 am

My first online game was/is Halo 3, first played a week last friday. No, I'm not joking. I've been online gaming for 13 days.

My friend, fed up with me complaining that I'd have my arse handed to me, made me join her party. I don't know if my rank (Lieutenant 2nd grade) is good going for the length of time I've been playing it, but my friend was impressed. Then again, I'd already completed the campaign on Legendary 3 times (on three different friends 360's, the lazy buggers).