N64 Hori Pad - my review

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Re: N64 Hori Pad - my review

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:47 pm

C=Style wrote:
ninty wrote: ( and blimming customs got them to ! double NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! )
Does that mean you will have to pay extra tax? :( Mine came from Japan but looks like I was lucky.
That's what usually happens. I had two large-ish figurines come through from America and I had to pay Parcel Force around £40 just to get them. They pay the customs charges on your behalf then you essentially have to pay them back for it before they deliver the goods to your door. It's really NOT cheap as my £40 bill proved :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ninty

Post by ninty » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:44 pm

That's what usually happens. I had two large-ish figurines come through from America and I had to pay Parcel Force around £40 just to get them. They pay the customs charges on your behalf then you essentially have to pay them back for it before they deliver the goods to your door. It's really NOT cheap as my £40 bill proved
Yeah , I know. Though I think a big flamming red light flashes at Customs whenever I import games/consoles in.Everytime I tell you. Think I keep them and Royal Mail going at the min lol.

:D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Megamixer wrote: That's what usually happens. I had two large-ish figurines come through from America and I had to pay Parcel Force around £40 just to get them. They pay the customs charges on your behalf then you essentially have to pay them back for it before they deliver the goods to your door. It's really NOT cheap as my £40 bill proved :(
That's ridiculous. I have been stung on customs before when I've imported certain goods but my old postman used to let me off it, he wasn't sure what to do tbh and I said to him he should just give it to me and I'll pay them later lol, of course I never did. I didn't realise that customs tax would apply to this controller too, so I guess I really was lucky.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:19 pm

It is my understanding that anything imported over the value of £18 will have a customs charge.

If buying on ebay get the seller to declare on the packaging that the value is under £18.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:29 am

I'm still waiting for an adapter to allow you to use GC controllers on an N64... come on someone, MAKE ONE ALREADY :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

C=Style wrote:
Megamixer wrote: That's what usually happens. I had two large-ish figurines come through from America and I had to pay Parcel Force around £40 just to get them. They pay the customs charges on your behalf then you essentially have to pay them back for it before they deliver the goods to your door. It's really NOT cheap as my £40 bill proved :(
That's ridiculous. I have been stung on customs before when I've imported certain goods but my old postman used to let me off it, he wasn't sure what to do tbh and I said to him he should just give it to me and I'll pay them later lol, of course I never did. I didn't realise that customs tax would apply to this controller too, so I guess I really was lucky.
Well I guess you're luck that it was in your postie's hands...like I said, my stuff was intercepted before it got that far and the charges already paid for so I had no choice. Kinda crap when you get a letter basically saying "Yo, we have some stuff of yours but you're not having it until you give us some coin"

The best thing to do is mark things as gifts or - even better - wrap them in birthday paper because as I'm aware, presents are exempt from tax.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm

After spending a few hours alone with some music on 'refurbishing' my weaker n64 pads I decided it wasn't worth the effort, as there was not enough improvement (too much plastic worn off the sticks, layered tape went some way towards rebuilding them, but it wasn't great)

I was gonna contact an importer whos friendly with a few guys at work to hunt down some mini-horis, but whilst i was trying to remember the address I also found lots of people mentioning the MakoPad as a very good (some say the best) quality analogue stick available for the N64.

So £3 on ebay and I ended up with one of these

Now, the shape and layout of some of the buttons feels very strange at first, but 20 mins on Majoras Mask and I was very impressed. There's a great deal of smooth control in the stick, and once your fingers adapt to not being in quite the usual n64 locations they are used to there's not a lot wrong with any of the buttons feel or layout.

So, if you don't want to fork out for the Hori Pad, I would definitely recommend one of these bad boys
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Yeah I got one of those MakoPads, it's also the same design as the SuperPad 64. I think they have full metal bearing inside so the stick won't wear down and get loose, which is of course one of the main draws to the Hori Pad.

Perosnally I think the buttons are way too chunky and not as comfortable to hold (could say the same about the Hori) but if you spend time with it like you say then you get used to it. It's just when you do go back to the offical contorller you think "wow, I have so much more contorl now" and everything feels so nimble and precise. But at least it won't wear down which is cool. I don't even use my Hori Pad which is a waste considering. Looks nice though :)