N64 Hori Pad - my review

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

batman877

N64 Hori Pad - my review

Post by batman877 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:59 pm

OK so after much searching, I've finally managed to purchase one these rare controllers for the Nintendo 64 and here it is...

These were released late in the N64's life and only ever available in Japan. It's also know as the N64 Hori Mini Pad because it is much smaller than the original controller. As you can see it has a gamecube style analogue stick and this is the crucial part. In my opinion it is 10x better than the original stick. It really improves the control accuracy and I've already started to enjoy several games a lot more because of it (e.g. F-Zero X, Road Rash, Super Mario 64, ISS 98).

The D-pad is also similar to the Gamecube controller and it too is a quality build. The other buttons are very similar to the N64 original (which is a good thing!) (except the start button is made of rubber). There are also two 'Z' buttons in the same place you would find 'L2' and 'R2' on a Playstation controller. This is an excellent idea because you can still hold the controller in just one hand (it's quite light) for certain games such as racing games where 'Z' is accelarate. However, some criticise this pad for being too small... trust me it's really not a problem. I have fairly large hands and I find it very comfortable. It has quite a lot of depth to it, particualrly where the memory card goes underneath.

Here's my controller sat next to a Gamecube controller to give you an idea:

The cable is also a decent length - about 5ft.

I spent £30 on this and it really is worth every penny. I'd love to hear anyone else's views if they've been lucky enough to find one.

There's also a pretty good video reviewing this pad on youtube if you want to see one in action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=979Br_YPrfQ

TheNewMonkey

Re: N64 Hori Pad - my review

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:09 pm

I have allways wanted one of these pads but they seems to sell for crazy money!
£30 is a steal i would say, its looks in nice condition aswell, i would snap it up for that price.
Even the standard N64 pads still fetch about £10 on ebay for some reason :?
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Curiously enough I read about these cool-looking pads just a couple of days ago and now here I am reading a well-put review. If only I had that 3-way adaptor for the Wii I'd definitely try to hunt down this one.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 am

Good review, thanks for that. I'm definitely going to pick one of these up but to be honest over the course of the past month I have really got into the swing of using the standard N64 contorller again. I think it feels superb to use and the analogue stick (which many criticise unfairly imo) is great with the only problem being that they wear out after a lot of use which makes them control horribly. There are however fixes I have come across since which require you to open the pad up and lubricate inside the stick with some industrial grease. This will stop the N64 pad from ever chalking up again and it is the route I'm going to take.

The only thing that puts me off the Hori pad is the fact the Z trigger is on the shoulders, I love having it under the pad like a trigger on a gun, it's one of the many unique features of the N64 pad that sets it apart from others and it feels great with games like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark etc.

Cheers for that review though, it's good to hear it's a decent pad. The size thing is not an issue and won't be for anyone because if you look how much of the N64 controller you actually use, it's tiny anyway and yet one of the most ergonomic controllers I've held.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:50 pm

I actually prefer the look of the original pad, the thing i really don't like though is the placing of the dpad. It just looks like it would be so awkward to play anything that doesn't use the analogue stick. I've not used one though so can't really comment.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Thankfully about 1% of N64 games make good use of the D-pad so that's probably the reason why it sits in a silly place.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 am

It really is all about the improvement and quality of the analogue stick.

This weekend I played some first person shooters and I've never been able to control them so well since getting the Hori Pad. I can finally aim on 'Goldeneye' without the cursor wobbling too much! 'Doom 64' plays like a dream and I've rediscovered the pleasure of the four 'Turok' games and two 'Duke Nukem' ones.

Some driving games feel better too -'F-Zero', 'Road Rash' and 'Penny Racers' :D - although some will never improve - 'Off Road Challenge', 'Crusin USA' and 'California Speed'! :oops:

Platforming wise 'Super Mario 64' is great too so I'm going to give 'Donkey Kong 64' a go tonight...

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Out of interest, does anyone know the best place to get these?

A google search for me only found ones that have already been sold...
Where logic won't work, I will

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:52 pm

gunbladelad wrote:Out of interest, does anyone know the best place to get these?

A google search for me only found ones that have already been sold...
I'm afraid the only place to look for one seems to be ebay. They do crop up every now and then. Don't limit yourself to ebay UK either...

Expect to pay upward of £30 and don't be picky what colour you want! :wink: I really wanted the see-through one!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 am

Heh, thought I'd rake up this old topic for a laugh.

Received my Horipad Mini 64 today and have had a nice session on it so will also share my first impressions...

The first thing that struck me was how loose the actual stick is, it doesn't share the same resistance of the Gamecube sticks. As I wrapped my hands around it I got a feel for how the Z trigger (or buttons now) would work, and they are sitting in an awkward place as I suspected.

So I go to test it out with Goldeneye. I'm all over the shop, can barely walk in a straight line as the stick is very loose by design, manual aiming is a nightmare, the gunsight twitching all over the screen lol but after a few minutes things started to pick up though. Shooting with the Z button was a bit odd at first, it makes you curl your fingers up to reach it comfortably. It all comes together naturally though and is only a matter of time before I fully adjust, though tbh I think I'll continue to play PD and Goldeneye with the tridant as it suits it so well.

The D-Pad that sits in the middle is actually very comfortable to use, much nicer than the tridant's and way more responsive, I reckon I could even play a Street Fighter game well with it! Looking forward to trying it out with Mischief Makers.

The next game I tried out was Starfox 64, a game that is completely tailored to the original N64 contorller. This is where I was very surprised how well the Horipad functioned, on my first go I had my best ever run on the first level which says it all I think, it plays brilliantly with it.

Oh yeah and one other thing, the rumble pad on this lol! It shakes it like crazy, I guess because it's so light and small. :mrgreen:

So overall, I'm impressed.

ninty

Post by ninty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:46 pm

I've got a couple on the way , well they turned up but I wasn't in and there now at the posties till tuesday ! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

( and blimming customs got them to ! double NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! )

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Heh, I had a feeling mine would come this morning so I made sure I was about. Great pads though, if you are not a fan of the original ones like so many people they will be a godsend.
ninty wrote: ( and blimming customs got them to ! double NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! )
Does that mean you will have to pay extra tax? :( Mine came from Japan but looks like I was lucky.
Last edited by C=Style on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:54 pm

C=Style wrote: So I go to test it out with Goldeneye. I'm all over the shop, can barely walk in a straight line...
You must unlearn what you have learned! :wink:

Seriously though, I know what you mean. But now I'm used to it I'll never go back to using the original pad.

As I've mentioned before... Doom 64, Duke Nukem, Hexen and Quake are an absolute dream to play with the Horipad. Certain 'floaty' driving games are easier too.

Those of you who have bought one recently, do you mind if I ask how much you paid and from where?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Ah I was hoping you would reply. I guess it is a matter of getting used to it, they are comfortable there's no denying that and certainly not too small. I'll maybe take your advice and just do the full switch, that way I don;t have to keep going back and forth. The only problem is that I bought the red one, while it is the colour I really like, it looks well out of place with the red contorller port plugged into my N64. Maybe I should now buy a melon red case for the N64 to go with it lol!

As for the price, I got a really good deal, a case of being in the right place at the right time, it literally came straight on Ebay for £25 with £6 shipping from Japan and that was all, so £31 in total. There were some others going on Ebay for crazy money £45-£60 which is too much IMO.

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Dammit i want one of those pads. I've had my eyes on 'em for years, but those prices are just too much for me. It's gone so far that i just can't play N64 games anymore because of the totally worthless stick. We had a very big Mario kart 64 tournament a few weeks ago, and i was struggling with the damn controller the whole time. It sure didn't help that i had been playing Double Dash eariler that day. It's like eating a good pizza and go on and eat rotten fish with 2 year old mayonaise. >.<
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y