Games that provokes your emotions.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Grizzly

Re: Games that provokes your emotions.

Post by Grizzly » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:15 pm

the sonic games. particularly the music, they had a fantastic soundtrack which now invoke a lot of emotions inside me. even while i type this i get a wistful sense of nostalgia as i remember the chrome gadget music ( sonic 3 competition mode)
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

highrise

Post by highrise » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:50 pm

my earliest memory of being properly scared in a game was playing Phantom Slayer on the Dragon 32. This is hands down the scariest 8-bit game going, it's proper survival horror. The next time I jumped that much was the dogs in Resident Evil. However, I think the creepiest, most disturbing experience I have had has to be in the kimono room in Fatal Frame 1. Just the thought of that room gives me a shiver.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:31 am

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the first videogame I ever played: Alley Cat. Just listening to the intro "music" makes all the memories of my childhood back. How my dad introduced me to computers when I was only 6 ys old, how I thought the mouse was a joystick of sorts, how happy I was playing these simple games.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 am

Never really got sad because of a game but many have made me laugh, like the airport level in MW2.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 am

The new Wii Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a very effective game at provoking emotion. I'd say it's easily the creepiest game I've ever played.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:55 am

I wept like a baby at the storybook sections of Mario Galaxy. 'Mama is sleeping under the tree on the hill'? I'm welling up just thinking about it.

I was really surprised when Miyamoto said he was reigning in Koizuma's urge to expand the plot and characterisation of the Mario games because I thought Galaxy nailed it - it was still a fairly simple story but there was loads going on under the surface.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Just been playing through Elite Beat Agents on the DS for the first time.

What started out as a silly, fun game suddenly smacked my emotions with a brick on Stage 12. Really wasn't expecting that :( . I'll even admit that a tear came to my eye and I had to turn the DS off for a couple of minutes and put myself in the right frame of mind to go back to it.

I won't spoil it for anyone who's not played it, but I don't care if anybody scoffs...I just wasnt prepared for the sudden shift in tone and it got to me. :( Damn you INIS, damn you to hell.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:43 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Just been playing through Elite Beat Agents on the DS for the first time.

What started out as a silly, fun game suddenly smacked my emotions with a brick on Stage 12. Really wasn't expecting that :( . I'll even admit that a tear came to my eye and I had to turn the DS off for a couple of minutes and put myself in the right frame of mind to go back to it.

I won't spoil it for anyone who's not played it, but I don't care if anybody scoffs...I just wasnt prepared for the sudden shift in tone and it got to me. :( Damn you INIS, damn you to hell.
"...you are my inspiraaaaation"

Yeah, I know which one you mean :(

On the flipside, the final stage is one of pure evil and fury.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Just been playing through Elite Beat Agents on the DS for the first time.

"...you are my inspiraaaaation"

Yeah, I know which one you mean :(

On the flipside, the final stage is one of pure evil and fury.
I liked EBA but I liked the japanese games more.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:28 am

killbot is right. The last but one chapter of the Mario storybook, "Mama is sleeping under the tree on the hill", and then you see the hill, and there's just this great big tree - that's the most heartbreaking moment of any story ever written.

There's also an impressive bit in "Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath", as you head upriver to the base of Sekto's dam headquarters. You pass through a flooded cave that contains the Grubbs' now abandoned city. You can't interact with it, and there's nothing to do but pass through, but it's a hugely moving reminder of what you're fighting for. (And for anyone who got bored with the bounty hunting and never found the mid-game twist, play it again...).

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:On the flipside, the final stage is one of pure evil and fury.
It took me weeks to finish that on hard, only to find out that it simply unlocked another, even harder, mode. I nearly threw the DS through a f****** window.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:56 pm

There's going to be spoilers here for some budget PS2 games that only maniacs such as myself buy (Global Defence Force and Zombie Hunters 2, to be precise) so beware. I very rarely get too emotional over games, but when I do, it's usually to the strangest things. Here's the majority of them:

Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - Oh, come on, you know which bit this is. For the record, though, I didn't cry. I was just shocked and wanted retribution!

Metal Slug 2/Metal Slug 3 (Neo-Geo) - The final stage in each one. In Slug 2, the final battle theme from the first game starts up as the rebel soldiers you've been killing for most of the game team up with you to defeat the Mars People- it's a great moment that makes you want to raise your fist in the air and shout "C'mon, let's do this! Hell yeah!", but then you feel sorry for them, as they get slaughtered by the aliens. In Slug 3, the same thing happens again, with a little cutscene showing a rebel soldier calling to his buddies as a whole platoon of them charges on-screen- in the section that follows, they help you out as as much as they can, but you still can't protect the poor guys.

King of the Monsters (Neo-Geo) - The game itself is just a silly monster beat-em-up (with some slightly downbeat undertones that are only really evident during the ending) but the game over screen is something else.

This still creeps me out. It's that arm flopped lifelessly over the car that does it. Quite a haunting image.

Pikmin (Gamecube) - A combination of Olimar's adorable journal entries (one of the last ones I got was a little entry about how desperate he was to see his family again) and the Pikmin themselves (I lost a whole troop of Yellows when I turned a corner and accidentally walked into a stretch of water- their screams! Oh, their screams!) made the game tug at the heartstrings a little. I didn't blubber and wail, I was just a little touched.

Galaxy Force II (Mega Drive) - No overwrought emotions here- it's just I always get a huge sense of nostalgia about this game, as I have a huge soft spot for it. The music for the first stage in particular sends me reeling back in time.

Zombie Hunters 2 (PS2) - A shock twist ending in a zombie exploitation game? Why not? Two of the characters, Riho and Makoto, seem to serve as the 'comedy relief' story of the game- they're both guest characters, and Riho slays zombies in just a bikini, so it's not like the game takes them seriously. As you make your way to the end with these two, things turn ever-so-slightly dark until, after killing the final boss, it all goes a little crazy- it's done in text only, but the game basically tells you that Riho and Makoto kill each other. Fade to black, credits roll. Wait, what? What?! WHAT?!?!

Global Defence Force (PS2) - This is kind-of shameful, but after an all-night session I'd finally reached the last battle. In the five or so missions before the end, the guy writing the mission briefings gives up all hope for humanity surviving, saying stuff like, "As the chances of success are so low, any who do not wish to participate will not be forced to" and "There is nothing left to say, aside from saying prayers. This will most likely be our last mission." When you finally do destroy the mothership (and you're finished pumping your fist in the air in triumph) you're given a brief epilogue where you're told one soldier (that's you) made a last stand for humanity, but disappeared under the flaming mothership wreckage. Way to lay it on thick, guys.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:There's going to be spoilers here for some budget PS2 games that only maniacs such as myself buy
*raises hand*

Another 'maniac' here :)

That's a weird ending for Zombie Hunters 2 though. I badly want this game but can't find it anywhere. It sounds the same as Zombie Hunters though (with Makoto and the oh-so-jiggly Riho) which looks identical to Zombie Zone.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tepid Snake wrote:There's going to be spoilers here for some budget PS2 games that only maniacs such as myself buy
*raises hand*

Another 'maniac' here :)

That's a weird ending for Zombie Hunters 2 though. I badly want this game but can't find it anywhere. It sounds the same as Zombie Hunters though (with Makoto and the oh-so-jiggly Riho) which looks identical to Zombie Zone.
Keep looking for it- it's an improvement on the other two PS2 games, and it's a real sequel rather than another 'special' version of Zombie Zone. You can take two characters to every stage, there's actual differences between the characters (there's 8 of them, including a few unlockable ones who use guns) and the combo ratings from the Wii version made their debut here. It's still more of the same, though- they even reuse the zombie sisters boss fight. Still an improvement at any rate- if only it had real 2-player co-op!

Anyway, back on topic, I thought of one more:
Eversion (PC) - You can download this game here but heed my advice. First, don't read anything about it online, otherwise you'll spoil it. Secondly, don't be a complete idiot like I am and start playing at 12 at night. I was up with it until 2 in the morning and, after the 'twist' happened and I jumped over a pit (play the game and you'll understand), I was absolutely terrified. Didn't sleep very well that night!
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Megamixer wrote:That's a weird ending for Zombie Hunters 2 though. I badly want this game but can't find it anywhere. It sounds the same as Zombie Hunters though (with Makoto and the oh-so-jiggly Riho) which looks identical to Zombie Zone.
I'm after it too, after getting and really enjoying the Onechanbara games on Xbox 360 and Wii.

I've got both Zombie Zone and Zombie Hunters, what Tepid Snake says is right about them. Zombie Hunters is literally Zombie Zone: Special Edition...although it is a lot easier to play due to having an in-game map, something Zombie Zone sorely lacked and made finding your way around it confusing as hell at some points. If you accidentally hit 'Attack' when you're next to a door, Zombie Hunters will also ask you to confirm you actually want to go through the door....it's a very easy thing to do in the heat of the moment (ie. fighting a horde of zombies in a cramped room) and it was extremely frustrating in the original Zombie Zone to just automatically go through the door with no warning (suffering a loading pause), then have to turn back around and go back through the same door again to get back to where you needed to be (suffering another loading pause) only to find that the enemies had respawned :evil:

I've found a few copies of Zombie Hunters 2 for around £40-45, which I refuse to pay given the original price of the game. I put a shout out on Ebay as well, a guy offered me a copy but wanted me to make him an offer....when I said I wasn't going over £25 at the very most, I neer heard from him again :(

Tepid Snake, you haven't finished with yours by any chance, have you? :wink: :wink:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!