Should I buy a psp 1004 with custom firmw.?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Re: Should I buy a psp 1004 with custom firmw.?

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:51 am

greenberet79 wrote: I must say, i thnk the best thing is being able to run PSP games straight off the memory stick - vice city loads about 50 times quicker, no exaggeration!
The is a TURBO option in the Recovery Menu =D - other than Tekken Dark Rising - everything else works fine with...

Romulous wrote:
Zetr0 - what's this TURBO option all about then? I had a scoot around the Recovery menu but couldn't see anything...

Also, I need to send your pandora battery back to you. If I stick in a couple of 8gig SDHC memory cards would you be so kind as to put on a couple of PSOne/PSP ISOs you have lying around?

cheers!!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 am

I thought it was only M33 that had the increase read access to memory stick?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

frood42

Post by frood42 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:18 am

frood42 wrote:When the Class 6 cards turn up I'll post if I see any further speed benefits.
No noticable speed increase. But I haven't done any deep timing or testing, just noting playback quality of in game cut scenes.

Zetr0, did you ever get Dungeon Master running on a PSP Atari emulator? The thought of a portable DM makes me feel giddy. :)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 am

Slightly off topic - if (in theory, of course) you had hundreds of ROMS for an emulator, is there a quick way to scroll through them all? Again in theory, i could have a game gear/master system emulator (or snes) with about 1000 roms - it would take ages to scroll through to S, or R. Can I just create new folder in roms, such as A-D, E-J, J-P etc??

Also (1) - Can anyone recommend a decent PC Engine emulator for PSP? There seems to be a couple out there.

Also (2) - does anyone have the CPS1/CPS2/MVS emualtor working on PSP?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:25 am

Depends on the emulator.
Most will scroll 1 game at a time if you push Up or Down.
Several emulators jump several games (cant remember how many exactly) if you push Left or Right.
You can easily get from a to z (even with a 1000 roms) in a couple of seconds.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:46 am

greenberet79 wrote:Also (1) - Can anyone recommend a decent PC Engine emulator for PSP? There seems to be a couple out there.
I'd like to know this too. Used to use PCEP on a much older firmware, but now I'm on 5.00m33, that no longer works. What are people using these days?

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:04 am

stvd wrote:Depends on the emulator.
Most will scroll 1 game at a time if you push Up or Down.
Several emulators jump several games (cant remember how many exactly) if you push Left or Right.
You can easily get from a to z (even with a 1000 roms) in a couple of seconds.
Cheers - it's blatant that I'm extremely lazy!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 am

By the way, I've installed Hugo as my PC Engine emulator and it seems to work fine.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:58 am

greenberet79 wrote:Slightly off topic - if (in theory, of course) you had hundreds of ROMS for an emulator, is there a quick way to scroll through them all? Again in theory, i could have a game gear/master system emulator (or snes) with about 1000 roms - it would take ages to scroll through to S, or R. Can I just create new folder in roms, such as A-D, E-J, J-P etc??

Also (1) - Can anyone recommend a decent PC Engine emulator for PSP? There seems to be a couple out there.

Regarding the ROMS - I have my Speccy, SNES, C64, and Megadrive emulators in lettered folders, plus a Favourites folder for the more commonly used titles.

1) Hm dunno.
2) I'm doing some investigation into this, will post results inthis thread.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:16 am

greenberet79 wrote:By the way, I've installed Hugo as my PC Engine emulator and it seems to work fine.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am

Commander Jameson wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Slightly off topic - if (in theory, of course) you had hundreds of ROMS for an emulator, is there a quick way to scroll through them all? Again in theory, i could have a game gear/master system emulator (or snes) with about 1000 roms - it would take ages to scroll through to S, or R. Can I just create new folder in roms, such as A-D, E-J, J-P etc??

Regarding the ROMS - I have my Speccy, SNES, C64, and Megadrive emulators in lettered folders, plus a Favourites folder for the more commonly used titles.

1) Hm dunno.
2) I'm doing some investigation into this, will post results inthis thread.

The Zetr0 has beaten me to it.....again......

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=20068

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm

@CJ

My friend, its always good to get a couple of reviews in, carry on your research, after all you have a PSP1000 model - enjoy your research I look forward to reading it.

@greenberet79

You will find what you seek here (MVSPSP) and here (CPS2PSP), CPS1PSP / PicoDrive / Snes9xTYL will be up later this evening.

If i get time, I will put Fuse and PSPVice as well.

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Right, finally got my CR-5400. Now, where's the best place for Micro SD cards? The 16GB ones on play.com are all class 2. Am I right in saying the class only affects transfer speeds? ie - the time it takes to copy stuff onto them from my PC? Or does it affect performance too?

Cheers ... :)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 am

Remember to NOT use Windows to format your SDHC Cards.
I linked to a site with the proper tool on, so search back through this thread to find it.

It makes a world of difference to file access/load speeds. :wink:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 am

I was under the impression that using the PSP itself is the preferred method of formatting. Is that not the case?