Should I buy a psp 1004 with custom firmw.?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Freestyler

Re: Should I buy a psp 1004 with custom firmw.?

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Apparently they even do one which holds FOUR SD-HC cards for a truly staggering 128 Gigabytes of data.
Surely that's every retro game, ever made, ever, on any system, all on one card?!!? :shock: :? :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Freestyler wrote:Apparently they even do one which holds FOUR SD-HC cards for a truly staggering 128 Gigabytes of data.
Surely that's every retro game, ever made, ever, on any system, all on one card?!!? :shock: :? :lol:
Links or it didn't happen =)

please

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Everything pre PlayStation - yeah.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:16 pm

The PSP is a fantastic little handheld when it's true potential is unlocked so by all means buy a PSP 1004 with CFW but be aware that the D-pad is vastly inferior to the 2000/3000 model (in my opinion). It has a lot less angle to move and sits a lot more flush to the console and it's difficult to get diagonals, basically it's a pain in the arse and where retro 2D gaming is concerned it's fairly important you are comfortable with your contorls I think. You may like the D-pad however but if not there are various mods to improve it not least an offical solution from Capcom which they bundled with one of their games I believe.

Also try to get yourself acquainted with how to install your own CFW so you can upgrade if you feel the need rather than being stuck with what you have and feeling lost/confused with it all. Following the right guides which explain things well goes a long way to make the whole procedure very simple. All it takes is a little bit of time to read and follow instructions. 8)

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:10 am

C=Style wrote:The PSP is a fantastic little handheld when it's true potential is unlocked so by all means buy a PSP 1004 with CFW but be aware that the D-pad is vastly inferior to the 2000/3000 model (in my opinion). It has a lot less angle to move and sits a lot more flush to the console and it's difficult to get diagonals, basically it's a pain in the arse and where retro 2D gaming is concerned it's fairly important you are comfortable with your contorls I think. You may like the D-pad however but if not there are various mods to improve it not least an offical solution from Capcom which they bundled with one of their games I believe.
I bought a Japanese 'phat' PSP (PSP-1000) fairly soon after its launch and I then bought a Slim a year or two ago (PSP-2003), and I've never noticed the difference on the D-Pad controls between the two models... I'll have to go and have a look now!
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:42 am

Zetr0 wrote:/Zetr0 Smugly grins with his CR=5400 with 2x16GB cards

Indeed the CR-5400, awesome! (32GB of gaming yummyness!) (well its actually only 29.5GB after format as they dont put a proper 16,384MB per card)
Just ordered mine this morning, from Amazon, CR-5400 and 8gb microSD for £20. Decided on 8gb for now as for some reason there's a huge price hike when you go up to 16gb. One day maybe.....
I was going to have the PSP as a 'retro-museum' handheld with full back catalogues of games on for each console, but I think I'm just going to go with the most popular titles for each console, and get a few PSP games on there too, even with just that it's going to be an amazing bit of kit....

I don't feel I need to cram it full of games as my freshly-Zetro-modded Xbox will take care of my 'master' library nowadays (yeah thanks again!)

Never heard of this ChickHen thingy before, is there any risk of bricking this way?

BTW I started a similar thread a while back, whereupon Zetr0 proceeded to illuminate all around with his knowledge of the PSP, and answered a lot of the points brought up here, linky - http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=17606
This lead me to pick up a used PSP-1003 shortly after. If you aren't leaving the house much with it, there's nothing wrong with buying a Phat over a Slim 'n' Lite IMHO.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:05 am

Hello all - just a note to say thanks to Zetr0 for guiding me in putting CFW on my PSP. Thanks to his instructions (and Pandora battery) i now have a fully modded PSP, full of snes, megadrive, nes, speccy games etc etc. It even plays brand new psp games so it's fulfilling its potential. If you read all the instructions then it's pretty easy.

ta
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 am

greenberet79 wrote:Hello all - just a note to say thanks to Zetr0 for guiding me in putting CFW on my PSP. Thanks to his instructions (and Pandora battery) i now have a fully modded PSP, full of snes, megadrive, nes, speccy games etc etc. It even plays brand new psp games so it's fulfilling its potential. If you read all the instructions then it's pretty easy.

ta
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Just got mine back from Zetr0 on Friday, it is a thing of wonder, now loaded up with SNES, Megadrive, Speccy, C64 and GBA titles. Having no luck with MAME so far, have you managed to sort it with any success at all?

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 am

greenberet79 wrote:Hello all - just a note to say thanks to Zetr0 for guiding me in putting CFW on my PSP. Thanks to his instructions (and Pandora battery) i now have a fully modded PSP, full of snes, megadrive, nes, speccy games etc etc. It even plays brand new psp games so it's fulfilling its potential. If you read all the instructions then it's pretty easy.

ta
haha, he's a busy fella! I reckon he's actually a digruntled sony employee...

I don't think MAME works that well does it? From what I can gather anyway, it's just the early stuff that works okay. If you find out otherwise let me know!

I must say, i thnk the best thing is being able to run PSP games straight off the memory stick - vice city loads about 50 times quicker, no exaggeration!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 am

greenberet79 wrote:

ta
haha, he's a busy fella! I reckon he's actually a digruntled sony employee...

I don't think MAME works that well does it? From what I can gather anyway, it's just the early stuff that works okay. If you find out otherwise let me know!

I must say, i thnk the best thing is being able to run PSP games straight off the memory stick - vice city loads about 50 times quicker, no exaggeration!
I can't seem to find much info on PSP MAME compatibility tbh - I'm relying on all the marvellous Atari/Namco/Capcom/SNK retro PSP compilations for my arcade fix, a lot of the big titles are covered by these! In fact, last night, to get a game of Super Hangon, I resorted to firing up Sega Classics on the GBA via emulation on a PSP - so that's a Sega Game, running on Nintendo hardware emulated in software on a Sony device running custom firmware. :shock:

The things we do to play our favourite games....

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:14 pm

speedlolita wrote:Everything pre PlayStation - yeah.
Not!

An Amiga collection alone is pretty huge, start chucking in all the other formats and you have a rather large collection, a lot more than 128 gigs.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

greenberet79 wrote: haha, he's a busy fella! I reckon he's actually a digruntled sony employee...
*hehehe* <---- thats my pathetic maniacle evil laugh....
greenberet79 wrote: I don't think MAME works that well does it? From what I can gather anyway, it's just the early stuff that works okay. If you find out otherwise let me know!
MAME on the PSP is.... well I have yet to enjoy it to be honest.... It cannot even run Alien Syndrome.... alas PSP MAME needs an overhaull - yeah its great for the ancient 8bit stuff.... but out side that remit... and you are in suxville...
greenberet79 wrote: I must say, i thnk the best thing is being able to run PSP games straight off the memory stick - vice city loads about 50 times quicker, no exaggeration!
The is a TURBO option in the Recovery Menu =D - other than Tekken Dark Rising - everything else works fine with...

Romulous wrote:
speedlolita wrote:Everything pre PlayStation - yeah.
Not!

An Amiga collection alone is pretty huge, start chucking in all the other formats and you have a rather large collection, a lot more than 128 gigs.
Indeedy - its about 100GB just for the CD32 games library - then probably another 30GB for the CDTV library - and another 40GB for the Disk (ADF) Library... =D (of course compression will play a little in that but - when you want something live - and not archived ... better get some big disk =D)

@Commander Jameson

I really am pleased your happy with it m8y, I hope the extra package contents meets your approval my friend =D

frood42

Post by frood42 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 am

Is it worth spending a little bit more to get named brand Micro SD/HC memory when using the CR-5400?

I've just bought a PSP, got it soft modded, bought the CR-5400 and picked up 2x8Gb 'Play.com' brand Micro SD/HC cards (they were on special and were dirt cheap at the time). I've noticed on a couple of games a bit of a slowdown and judders on cut scenes and other graphic heavy bits. Nothing to make things unplayable but enought to make me wonder if I should have stumped out for some Kingston or SanDisk brand cards. :?

Edit: Probably doesn't matter but I just checked the cards. They don't seemed to be labled 'play.com' but they are 'class 4', should that make a difference?

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:45 am

I know that it's best NOT to use Windows to format your SDHCs. There's something "wrong" with the way it does it that causes a lot of slowdown when using them.

To quote from the official SD Association's website:
SD or SDHC memory card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with official SD memory card requirements and optimum performance may not be experienced.
and I can repeatedly confirm this to be the case. After using this program I noticed drastically faster file access and loads/saves.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

frood42

Post by frood42 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 am

Freestyler wrote:I know that it's best NOT to use Windows to format your SDHCs. There's something "wrong" with the way it does it that causes a lot of slowdown when using them.
Cheers freestyler, I'm reformatting the cards with that software right now and I'll give it a try.

Would still be interested to see if anyone has had any experiance with different class cards with the PSP.