Next Generation Consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which next-gen system are you going to buy?

360 the whole way around!
7%
I'm gonna PS3 myself!
17%
I'm too excited - I just want a Wii!
62%
I came into money and I'll get several!
7%
I came into money and I'll get several!
7%

Total votes: 42

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:01 am

Will eventually own all 3 but probably only the Wii around launch due to the lower cost.
Will invest in a 360 and PS3 when the hardware is cheaper and there is a better catalogue of quality games and a budget range.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:12 am

Right now I'm not excited about the PS3 at all but I am interested in Wii's games like Sonic Wildfire, Smash Bros Brawl, Dragon Quest Swords and Super Mario Galaxy. The 360 still has a lot to prove to me. I'll start becoming interested in that if Rare ever decide to make another Banjo Kazooie.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 am

I have a 360 already (for my on-line fun) but the only other one I'll get is a Wii, I have no interest in bankrupting myself for shiny graphics. And a revolutionary new control method that lets you attack its weakpoint for massive damage, and has real time weapon changes. :P
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 am

The 360 & PS3 don't really interest me at the moment, so it'll be a Wii only for me. Although I would love a shiny new computer to replace this tired old thing that I'm currently using.

devilman

Re:

Post by devilman » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Morkin wrote:The 360 & PS3 don't really interest me at the moment, so it'll be a Wii only for me.
Ditto. I'm still picking up cheap games for the PS2 & Xbox so I'm not fussed about picking up flashier editions of those games for the PS3 & 360.

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:41 pm

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:13 pm

Wii for me too. I was one of the DS's biggest critics when they anounced it, but they proved me wrong.

I will probably get a 360 at some point for the online stuff, but not at the current price. PS3 holds zero interest for me, which is a shame as I loved (and still do love) my PS1 and PS2.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:54 pm

I had a go on the Wii today (Nintendo came to our work to demo the unit) and I can say that it absolutely rocks. I played an offroad racing game using the wireless controller as a steering wheel and it felt quite natural. Some guys were playing the orchestra conductor game but I didn't have a go on that. I did see the golf game swinging and putting with the controller and that looked like fun. Finally, I had a go on Metroid and for me that was the best of the bunch. I don't like playing FPS on consoles cause I can't get used to the controls. But the Wii is great with them. You use the wireless-infrared to aim and then you use the adaptor to move forward, back and strafing. It took a few minutes to adapt but after that it felt so natural. The best bit was the manipulation of the controllers to open a locked door. You had to "throw" it (like a fishing rod) which would make Samus's hand grab the switch. Then you had to turn the controller to the right as if turning the switch and finally you had to jerk it back (like reeling in a fish) to pull the switch which opened the door.

Even before today it was the only console I was looking to buy, but now I know for sure I definitely getting it. The guy said the launch price is 250 euros so that would make it between £170-£200. They didn't give me a launch date but just said Q4.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:06 pm

you lucky, lucky b*st*rd

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:30 pm

Wii for me too :D

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:07 am

Mantas wrote:
I played an offroad racing game using the wireless controller as a steering wheel and it felt quite natural.
Excite Truck ?

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:13 am

Mantas wrote:The guy said the launch price is 250 euros so that would make it between £170-£200. They didn't give me a launch date but just said Q4.
If that's an accurate price then I'll probably sell some of my PS2 stash to get one on launch. I've never got on the bandwagon that early before.

Of course, it'll be the price of the games and peripherals that will be annoying.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:54 am

Wii for fun, PS3 for .. can I use the word loyalty? ;-) Have both PS1 and PS2, gotta have the new one. But definately Wii! It will be perfect for beer drinking/games... heh

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:42 am

Personally I'm still having fun playing this gen and picking up quality games like Far Cry:Instincts and Brothers in Arms,for under a tenner.

I'm also the one person who hasn't played Half Life 2 yet along with a stack of 25+ games in my collection untouched :oops:

At the moment there aren't any games on the 360 that really grab me as must haves, although I really like the look of Kameo and Condemned, when I eventually do take the plunge they'll be really cheap.

The PS3 is too expensive, but if they release a sequel to Ico and/or Shadow of the Colossus I may not be able to resist!

The Wii is looking like it could be a load of fun, I play my DS more than any home console at the moment, and the different control method and the vareity this adds is the reason for this, so it could end up being the 1st one I buy.

Mario Party on the Wii anyone?!?!

retro mania

Post by retro mania » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 pm

Wii because its the most intresting thing in gaming for 10 maybe 15 years.