Next Generation Consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which next-gen system are you going to buy?

360 the whole way around!
7%
I'm gonna PS3 myself!
17%
I'm too excited - I just want a Wii!
62%
I came into money and I'll get several!
7%
I came into money and I'll get several!
7%

Total votes: 42

Shin_Gouki

Next Generation Consoles

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:35 pm

Which system/s is/are you going to buy?

No doubt a few of us already have a 360, but I'm torn between PS3 and Wii. Although I would tend to lean towards the Wii for the 'cube and retro compatibility, plus it's the most innovative thing I've seen in a long while.

Besides, who could possibly go past Super Mario Galaxy? :D
真・豪鬼

CraigGrannell

Re: Next Generation Consoles

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:35 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:I'm torn between PS3 and Wii
I would have thought for most games players, there's hardly a decision to be made there. It's a straight choice between "more of the same, but with slightly better graphics—at a huge cost" and the possibility of innovation and fun.

The DS and its catalogue may be flawed, but it at least proved Nintendo can think outside the box and create something different; these days, that's all I really want from a console—after all, I already have a DC, Xbox, GBA and DS, and feel no need to repeat myself in terms of games. (That said, I'd love a copy of GW...)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Kai

Post by Kai » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:09 am

I'll definitely buy a PS3, and maybe later, when it's MUCH cheaper, a 360. Not really interested in the Wii thing, except for the possibility to download old games. But downloading is not as "real" as buying a game that you can touch and smell (:wink:), so I will wait. Welcome, Wii, to the third place... :lol:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:15 am

Wii for the innovation. I have my PC for everything else.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:24 am

If I buy anything it will be the Wii, but I'm probably not going to get a new console for a couple of years...maybe.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:31 am

Kai wrote:Welcome, Wii, to the third place... :lol:
Actually, I think the forthcoming console "battle" will be far more interesting this time round. Bear in mind how successful the DS is, despite original opinions, which largely dismissed it as a gimmick. In Japan, it has a massive 60%+ marketshare, with the PSP languishing on around 15. In the US and Europe, the DS is holding its own against the PSP, and I can't have been the only one to notice the recent change of GAME facing (all the stores around here have unsubtly shifted the DS rack from the back of the store, behind a huge sign saying "beware of the leopard", to the very front). If Nintendo can capitalise on the success of the DS with the Wii, I very much doubt we'll have another GC-style distant third. The Wii's diminutive size should also help cement its place in many living rooms.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:29 am

Hopefully Nintendo will also come up with some clever ways to use the DS in conjunction with the Wii - even if it's just downloading demos or acting as a mini-screen.

It will be a Wii for me, and entering lots of competitions to try and win either of the others...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:31 am

I will probably buy a Wii , because I love the cube and I will not be able to afford a Ps3 or a 360 till I finish Uni next July.
The Wii is undoubtably going to be a whole pile of fun and is cheap which is even better.
I think the 360 is a great machine and the PS3 has a tough fight on its hands to compete against it, nothing I have seen so far PS3 wise has made me see why it is worth the asking price, apart from the obvious inclusion of a blu ray drive and the huge storage possibility.
The graphics I have seen at least are same standard as the 360 no major imrovement at all, and the cost lol .. well
Once out of Uni and back in the land of work I will get a 360 (after a few choice retro consoles&computers :P) and maybe buy a PS3 if it has by then proved its worth.
Retro when it wasnt cool

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:55 am

I already have a 360. And i will probably get a wii and a ps3. But not until i can get them cheap enough preowned.
"the forum is populated by idiots, and poorly moderated"

Shin_Gouki

Re: Next Generation Consoles

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:05 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Shin_Gouki wrote:I'm torn between PS3 and Wii
I would have thought for most games players, there's hardly a decision to be made there. It's a straight choice between "more of the same, but with slightly better graphics—at a huge cost" and the possibility of innovation and fun.

The DS and its catalogue may be flawed, but it at least proved Nintendo can think outside the box and create something different; these days, that's all I really want from a console—after all, I already have a DC, Xbox, GBA and DS, and feel no need to repeat myself in terms of games. (That said, I'd love a copy of GW...)
I agree with you 100%... one of the main reasons I would get a PS3 was the backwards compatibility with Psone & PS2 games. Aside from that, I'd be only too happy to be able to play newer games, such as new GTA, Final Fantasy (I'm a bit of a fan :wink: ) etc. I'm sure there will be quite a few that would capture my interest. But backwards compatibility is important to me, and my old PS2 is not going to last forever.

As for newer games that are re-hashes of older titles (Gran Turismo comes immediately to mind) I will avoid like the plague. There is not enough innovation in today's games. It's quite offputting.

P.S. I think the DS is the best handheld ever devised.
真・豪鬼

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:08 am

I am not interested in the 360 at all (its current crop of games are dire to). To only decent games I can play on my pc so thats that taken care of. HD TV is nice but good graphics a good game make not.

The ps3 has my interest due to it being a Japanese console with Japanese developed games (which I prefer for console games) but when the console is released it will to much for me to buy.

But the WII has my interest as Nintendo produce some of the best games time and time again. This factored with the only console to actually (hopefully) innovate and create fun games using its abilities to the full has me totally interested. Making this the console I am wanting to own.
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:19 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:Which system/s is/are you going to buy?
I 'is/are' probably going to have a Wii at some point.

I want to try waving my Wii Wand at stuff :D
Last edited by GarryG on Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:25 am

GarryG wrote:I 'is/are' probably going to have a Wii at some point.

I want to try waving my Wii Wand at stuff :D
:lol:

And yes, I'm aware that I'm a jackass. ARE!!! :wink:
真・豪鬼

Jazzem

Post by Jazzem » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:35 am

Another Wii vote here. I've been a Nintendo fan(boy?) for a long time now, and I really admire this new direction they're taking. Sure, perhaps there's a little too much focus on the controller, and the wii doesn't seem top for graphical abilities, but at the end of the day it's the one I want to play with the most. The Xbox didn't interest me much (I only played the odd Sega exclusive while my brother owned it), and the 360 interests me even less. Live and Live Arcade both look excellent, but very few games on the system appeal to me. The same goes for PS3, if the price drops considerably and we get a PS2 scenario for games, then I may consider, but otherwise it really doesn't persuade me to purchase.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:42 am

Its weird i'm just not into any of the new consoles.

I'm not stuck in some time warp but i just find the best games from 1995 and earlier. I'm strictly an emulator fan, dont really buy many games nowadays.