PS3 Vs XBox 360.....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Weekend_Warrior

Re: PS3 Vs XBox 360.....

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:43 am

Xbox 360 - Most multiplatform games look better and run smoother than on PS3. Natal could also breathe some new life into it

PS3 - Has better exclusives. Shows the most promise for outliving its competition due to its Blu-ray player capabilities

I think the 360 is still currently ahead. But the PS3 is catching up FAST!

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:08 am

I've been thinking about getting one or the other in the not too distant future, I'm going PS3 because:

1. I can play Street Fighter IV with a decent controller (this is the deal breaker)
2. Blu-ray
3. I can play PS1 games on it (I think? Does it upscale them?)
4. Wireless out of the box

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:23 am

I like both but PS3 edges it for me because I just like the overall 'feel' of it. That and im new to Xbox and just getting used to the controller.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 am

Dam wrote:I've been thinking about getting one or the other in the not too distant future, I'm going PS3 because:

1. I can play Street Fighter IV with a decent controller (this is the deal breaker)
2. Blu-ray
Unless things have radically changed, the support for PSX and PS2 games on the PS3 is poor indeed, and one of the biggest mistakes SONY made by not making the console backwards compatible.

90% of my PS2 collection Work very well although having not played them through to the end cannot say if they have any issues, the other 10% vary from bad graphical artifacts to just not loading.

PSX reliability is worse.

Bear in mind i have an original launch console so perhaps someone could confirm the reliability with the newer PS3 Slim.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:38 am

MikeHaggar wrote:
Spooky wrote:In terms of sales, I think the PS3 is ahead...
Not in the UK or worldwide total. You mean in France?
Correct

360 is still ahead in worldwide sales. The PS3 had a good couple of months after Uncharted 2 was released where it outsold the 360 but then fell behind again in December.

Both good machines but the 360 is the best games machine I have ever played. I think it has the better games, and has more extra content for the games that are multi format. The online is miles better and XBOX Live is way ahead of the PS3 online Network.

Another big factor for me is the retro content, XBLA is full of retro classics and more are added all the time, the PS3 does get some of these but nowhere near as many as the 360 does.

I would also agree that the XBOX and PS have seen a role reversal this generation, the 360 is not quite as powerful (like the PS2 couldn't match the Xbox power) but still has the better games.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 am

The power difference is extremely marginal - it's pretty much not worth mentioning.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:49 am

Personally, the PS3 is the better console for myself. Simply put it has much more real exclusives. I can play most of the more interesting 360-exclusives on my PC with better graphics and better physics. There are exceptions like Crackdown 2, but when it'll be released I can turn on my 360 again after about a year.
The only pity is that most developers are still too dumb or too lazy for quality ports in terms of multiplatform releases - Bayonetta being the most recent example...urgh! There, the 360 still has the edge and I think it'll stay this way^^

And in terms of online: I stopped paying for Xbox Live a long time ago. It may be a great service, but it offers nothing, that I can't have on the PC for free...

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:51 am

Dam wrote:I've been thinking about getting one or the other in the not too distant future, I'm going PS3 because:

2. Blu-ray

PS1 games (I have about 300) all seem to work fine as far as I can tell. PS2 support is only available in the original 60Gb launch machine, and that's been pretty good, but not as good as the PS1 support. That said PS1 game don't look the best in HD. PS2 games upscale nicely in some cases: God of War and Shadow of Colossus spring to mind.

Between the two, (PS3/360) there is a tinkers curse.

I don't use Live, and PSN is a constant source of gnashing of teeth, but it is free. (You get what you pay for.) PSN has a download movie service (as probably does the 360) which has an actually not bad selection of stuff.

The interface on the PS3, i believe is nicer. The xbox seems to suffer from a Microsofts beagle like ability to bury everything somewhere elusive.

The PS3 is better at multimedia, it handles USB devices in a better way, the HDD is easily and cheaply upgradeable, the Earth animation the PS3 moves around when it's playing a CD or MP3 is absolutely aces (best CD animation screen since the 3DO IMHO!) , and when running, the PS3 is considerably quieter than the 360, making it more telly-watching friendly. Plus Bluray if that floats your boat.

The 360 has a considerably better controller for FPS and Driving (although Ridge Racer is the exception - just felt weird) and PGR4 and Ace Combat 6 are my absolute favourites, while the only standout games for me on the PS3 is really Uncharted 2 and MGS4 (which is marmite anyway). Although I still reckon RR7 is better of the two RRs this gen.

Statistically, the 360 is most likely to bork just a bit sooner than the PS3.

You pays your money, yous take your chances. ;)
Last edited by will2097 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:52 am

Personally I see the 360 as current gen and PS3 as next gen. By that I mean that the 360 is proving its worth now and the PS3 is just starting too. I said this last year, but I reckon this time next year the PS3 will be the lead console.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:52 am

speedlolita wrote:The power difference is extremely marginal - it's pretty much not worth mentioning.
I'd agree with you, but if you search the web you will see the power of each machine is very important to some people.

For me it's all about the games, as far back as I can remember I have always picked machines based on what games I want rather than which has the better graphics or tech specs etc....

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:55 am

I think the power would be important if developers bothered to utilise it.

I think GT5 might be one of the first to truely do so.

As far as power goes - all it really equates to is better graphics at this stage in time.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 am

speedlolita wrote:I think the power would be important if developers bothered to utilise it.

I think GT5 might be one of the first to truely do so.

As far as power goes - all it really equates to is better graphics at this stage in time.
But it will still be about as much fun as being stuck in the snow on the M60..........

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:59 am

:(

I presume you like arcade racers then. I see what you're saying though. I've just always loved GT.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:10 am

PS3 and their games are still far too expensive. As I don't have a blog (with which to increase my internet epeen by pretending that all who read it are really my real friends, really) I only play for my own amusement. My money gets spent on real life.

I buy Xbox 360 games when they're reduced to a tenner. That's usually after one month, tops.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:11 am

JackBurton-Me wrote: I would never have bought a 360 for the following reasons.

Paying for online - hassle
Not all models having even Wi-Fi as standard - hassle
RROD - disgrace
Dreadful 360 controllers - why are they so fat?

The only advantage I can see for the 360 now is how cheap it is, but even that is deceptive because of all the add-ons.
I'd also add "Made by Microsoft" to the list of bad points. That's the biggest deal breaker for me.

MikeHaggar wrote:
Spooky wrote:In terms of sales, I think the PS3 is ahead...
Not in the UK or worldwide total. You mean in France?
It's not far behind according to VGChartz:

Weekly.............Total
PS3 944,425 (-2%) 31,017,435
360 754,755 (+15%) 36,580,655
Last edited by necronom on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V