Recommend me some PC Games from the 90's

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Recommend me some PC Games from the 90's

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 pm

oli_lar wrote:Is 3Dfx emulated with modern graphics cards in any way?
Sometimes. 3Dfx cards had their own API, basically speaking their own language, so games had to specifically support 3Dfx rendering. Its not like now where DirectX is used by the game to run on any hardware.

The 3Dfx API is called Glide.

On modern systems, its possible to get a Glide 'wrapper'. This is as you suggest, pretty much emulating the 3Dfx command set on your new hardware. I can't speak for other systems, but for my last couple of generations of graphics cards I've had nVidia so I know there are Glide wrappers available for those.

If seeking Independence War, make sure to get the Deluxe Edition as it contains the Defiance semi sequel campaign (which plays from the opposing side) and an enhanced graphics engine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-War_(Independence_War)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Megamixer wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:
Megamixer wrote:PC gaming in general doesn't appeal to me but there were a few games that had me hooked back in the 90's...

Myst
Riven (sequel to Myst)
no wonder pc gaming dont appeal to you if you spent your time playing these!

How about Half-life?
Never touched a Half Life game.

For what it's worth, I did really like the Myst games so it wasn't as if they themselves put me off PC games. I played all 5 of them but got a bit tired of the later games which I'm sure were much harder and near-impossible to solve at times.

I see a PC as something to go on the internet with, mess about with pictures or do letters etc. with consoles being my gaming place. I know nothing about that makes any logical sense but it's just the way it seems to me.
i was mentioning half life to the OP, but thanks anyway for replying :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sometimes. 3Dfx cards had their own API, basically speaking their own language, so games had to specifically support 3Dfx rendering. Its not like now where DirectX is used by the game to run on any hardware.

On modern systems, its possible to get a Glide 'wrapper'. This is as you suggest, pretty much emulating the 3Dfx command set on your new hardware. I can't speak for other systems, but for my last couple of generations of graphics cards I've had nVidia so I know there are Glide wrappers available for those.

If seeking Independence War, make sure to get the Deluxe Edition as it contains the Defiance semi sequel campaign (which plays from the opposing side) and an enhanced graphics engine.
Cheers, heard of glide wrapper before but didn't put it together. Will look for that deluxe edition.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:41 pm

reading this thread has brought back some great memories. It really was a golden period for PC gaming, loads of variety, innovation and first person shooters of course...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:49 pm

I loved the 'They Hunger' mods for Half-life. Genuinely scary. Actually gave myself nightmares playing them, i was only 25. Got them on the coverdisks of PC Gamer. would love to play them again but Half-life runs too fast on my laptop
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 am

Try Civilisation, Railway Tycoon, Dune 2, Syndicate, Pinball Fantasies, The Chaos Engine, Descent(on GOG at the moment), X Wing(you mentioned Tie Fighter before, whilst that is better, X Wing and its add ons is still a good space sim).

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 am

This is probably my favorite era of PC gaming (Dos/Windows 95)
Here are some other games which I don’t think have been mentioned yet –

Forsaken
Crusader: No Remorse
Quarantine
TFX
Hexen II

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 am

oli_lar wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

Cheers, heard of glide wrapper before but didn't put it together. Will look for that deluxe edition.
Totally agree about the lovelyness that is I-War (I still have my copy from the late 90's), but Independent War II shouldn't be dismissed as it is also full of lovely and has one of the best soundtracks ever put to PC and some interesting mods, my favourite being one that changes your base from that brown blob to Babylon 5. :mrgreen:

Looking through my old games folder, some games I can recommend are
Battle Zone 1 & 2
Dungeon Keeper (I have a copy of the gold classic version)
Nox (much underrated Diablo alike)
Magic Carpet 1 & 2
Shadow Warrior (sort of Duke Nukem follow-up)
Heavy Gear II (running around in mini Mechwarriors)
HADDOCKEN!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 pm

No love for Phantasmagoria? I know it's 7 CDs of what is mostly grainy FMV, but that game still scares the shits outta me!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:55 pm

pottyboy wrote:No love for Phantasmagoria? I know it's 7 CDs of what is mostly grainy FMV, but that game still scares the shits outta me!
I bought that a couple of years ago and could not work out what the flucking hell I was meant to do!
Scapegoat wrote:Totally agree about the lovelyness that is I-War (I still have my copy from the late 90's), but Independent War II shouldn't be dismissed as it is also full of lovely and has one of the best soundtracks ever put to PC and some interesting mods, my favourite being one that changes your base from that brown blob to Babylon 5. :mrgreen:
I still have my copy of this as well. Is yours the double jewel case like mine? I could never ever get the hang of playing it, though. Always used to crash and blow up! And, funnily enough, I bought the re-release of I-War II last year some point. Haven't played it though. Going to look for a Star Trek mod for it :D
Scapegoat wrote:Shadow Warrior (sort of Duke Nukem follow-up)
Seconded. Some good one-liners ('Who want some Wang?) and some over the top gunplay and violence......I LOVE IT!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:13 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
pottyboy wrote:No love for Phantasmagoria? I know it's 7 CDs of what is mostly grainy FMV, but that game still scares the shits outta me!
I bought that a couple of years ago and could not work out what the flucking hell I was meant to do!!
Did you try asking the skull? :wink:

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Big Red Racing
Descent
AvP (the original)
Links LS
Grand Prix (Geoff Hammond)
Also, another vote here for both Blood and Destruction Derby

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:10 pm

pottyboy wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:
I bought that a couple of years ago and could not work out what the flucking hell I was meant to do!!
Did you try asking the skull? :wink:
Skull?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Some of my suggestions:

Warcraft (I might be the only person alive that liked the first one more than the second)
Warcraft II
Starcraft
Command & Conquer
Pinball Fantasies
Pro Pinball: The Web
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake II
Tyrian

Tabe

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:26 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:Skull?
The red skull in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Click on him, and he'll give you a hint as to what to do.