Any nostalgia for Streets of Rage?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Re: Any nostalgia for Streets of Rage?

Post by Shinobi » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favourite games ever.. Streets of Rage 3 though looking nice is horribly unbalanced on Pal though the Jap Megadrive version is far superior better difficulty level, correct clours extra level no missing characters the Villiage people typesetc have been removed on pal
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 pm

I have no nostaliga connected with the series, as i never really played them back in the day. I only got SoR2 now for the MD, and i like it alot. Damn good game, alot better than Final Fight imo. I will be picking up SoR 1 and 3 somewhere down the road.
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:52 pm

GunstarHero wrote: Was watching a vid for 2 Crude Dudes the other day and it looks pretty fun, if a little repetitve. Is it worth buying?
I think it is, everything is pick up or destructable near enough, is best played with 2 players as you can pick up and throw eah others at the enemies for no loss of life, other than that its well worth picking up and throwing cars and the such like!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:39 am

Streets of Rage 2 was ace. I did lament at the time that it was not as intense as arcade Final Fight. However, playing FF on MAME today, with all of it's coin-grabbing cheapness, I think SoR2 did it just right. :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:50 am

SpeedBreaker wrote:Streets of Rage 2 was ace. I did lament at the time that it was not as intense as arcade Final Fight. However, playing FF on MAME today, with all of it's coin-grabbing cheapness, I think SoR2 did it just right. :)
Yeah exactly, I'll also prefer a game made for the home consoles over the arcade as they were made with money in mind primarily, not the gamer.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:54 pm

Preferred Final Fight really, although for a console title it is v.good.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:22 pm

Ahh, SOR2, quite possibly the side-scrolling beat-em-ups finest hour.

To me, evrything in that game was just right. The graphics, the flow of the game, the music. It was indeed the complete package.

And it made my mates copy of Final Fight on the SNES look more than just a bit crap.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Gamewar

Post by Gamewar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Streets of rage one was the second game I ever played and the first one I completed, absolutly loved it as a kid and still love to play it today. I even got the version for the mega cd. Me and my mates still play it. As much as I would love a forth streets of rage, its not likely going to impress many people.
Gamer needs food badly

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:03 pm

First Game: Reasonable. Final Fight on SNES is way better though. Great in Two player mode though as you can grab each other for combo moves!
Second Game: My favourite beat-em-up. Ever.
Third Game: Didn't like it. They tried too many changes and it "felt" all wrong to me.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:30 am

Freestyler sums it up pretty well. AS do most in saying SoR2 is the best of the series.
Love the remake, hammered it to death when I finally got it working. Sega should buy it and sell it on live.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:33 am

Having finally gone online with my 360 at Christmas, I am going into town today to buy some gamerpoints in order to download Streets of Rage 2. I already own it for the Megadrive, but I want to play my mate in America at it. Eeeee!

Also, I downloaded the demo for Dante's Inferno, and it's basically a scrolling beat-em-up dressed up in semi-literary threads. Makes me even more unsure whether or not SoR would have made the transition to 3D intact...

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:44 am

I must be losing it, i thought i already posted this today.

The OpenBOR project has just had an update, apparently another fanbuild of SOR4, ive never tried it as im not that much of a fan of the original but it would be nice to see what SOR fans think of it.

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic ... l#msg56606
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 am

I love SOR, posted a video recently for Bare Knuckle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNAl6m-_wQ

Still need 2 & 3 for my collection, I know 2 is great but hear the 3 is very poor soundtrack wise compared to the first two. At least its uncensored though.

Yuzo Koshiro is a musical legend, I remember seeing a video on YT featuring the SOR soundtrack in a Tokyo nightclub! Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_1M8CiINM