Any nostalgia for Streets of Rage?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

coe

Any nostalgia for Streets of Rage?

Post by coe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:18 pm

It's sad that a part 4 never made it past a Dreamcast prototype.

I guess most beat em ups went out of fashion in the mid 90s, probably due to 3D and what not, but SoR was so much more than that. The dark noir middle of the night feel, the music, the familar likeable characters, it had such a signature style I can't believe no ones brought it back. Even in 3D, I think a ton of gamers in their 20s-40s would love to see it come back.

What do you guys think?

jdanddiet

Re: Any nostalgia for Streets of Rage?

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:22 pm

well yes and no really - like you say it was of it's time, and i think particulary suited to 2d rather than 3d. It did have some very cool music (as did the sequel), but the third one really left me cold.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:23 pm

I love it. I know it's basically a Final Fight clone at it's core but the music, setting and gameplay are all far superior in my opinion.

I can play the second game over and over - it never feels old to me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:I love it. I know it's basically a Final Fight clone at it's core but the music, setting and gameplay are all far superior in my opinion.

it's easy as well for I am generally quite useless at beat em ups.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:27 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I love it. I know it's basically a Final Fight clone at it's core but the music, setting and gameplay are all far superior in my opinion.

it's easy as well for I am generally quite useless at beat em ups.
True. I found Final Fight pretty tough which drained the fun factor to a degree. Streets of Rage 2 was far easier but not too much of a walkover.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:30 pm

First games terrible, second one's far superior though.
Splink!

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Love the first two (not too difficult - like everyone else here I love the soundtrack), passed up several chances to own the third and when I went back to the games store to buy it, it had gone. :(

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:43 pm

I love the Streets of Rage Remix, apart from the fact that it keeps crashing on me after 4 levels...

...and yes, I'm one of the 20-40 year olds who would love to see it return, but not in 3D. Have you ever played the 3D scrolling beat-em-up "Devil Within" mini-game in Tekken 5? That gave me headaches like you wouldn't believe. Although I continued with it just so that I could unlock Starblade.

I too passed up the opportunity to buy Streets of Rage 3 many times, having always been told it was pish.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Im not a massive beat 'em up fan but I gotta admit I played this a helluva lot 8)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:Have you ever played the 3D scrolling beat-em-up "Devil Within" mini-game in Tekken 5? That gave me headaches like you wouldn't believe. Although I continued with it just so that I could unlock Starblade.
Yeah, it was pretty crap. Tekken Force in Tekken 3 is a billion times better.

The 3D beat em' up mode in Mortal Kombat Armageddon was similarly dire and made me give up despite wanting to unlock the creation parts by doing it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:51 pm

First - Meh
Second - FARK YEAH
Third - ok

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:26 pm

All three games are pretty good IMO. The first one has the best music, but the second has the best gameplay though. The police backup in the original is a handy feature against the bosses too!

Wasn't Die Hard Arcade on the Saturn originally going to be Streets of Rage 4, before being adapted to Die Hard? If that's the case I'm glad it wasn't part of the SOR franchise, as it's so differet to the style of the Megadrive ones.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Yeah definitely got some good memories for this series of games. The first one back in the day was great but it's a game that I just cannot play these days. It's just so insipid to me, the gameplay just isn't there imo.

The second game, well that's superb. I remember ringing up Special Reserve nearly every day after school for 2 weeks asking if my preorder had been dispatched, man I was such an annoying little fucker lol, the must have hated me (don't say "what's changed?" ;) Well, I agree with what's been said about SOR 2, never gets old and has some fine gameplay going for it. I still love playing it now, it's got almost an almost rhythmic style to the gameplay, it's really good.

the third game, well I have zero nostalgia attached to it but I have played it a few years ago and think it's ok, but they messed with the fighting mechanics too much, it doesn't feel as good as 2 (and certainly doesn't sound it), but it's still an ok game.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Streets of Rage makes Final Fight look a bit poo IMO. I wonder if anyone is willing to dump an image of the Dreamcast beta of Streets of Rage IV if they have it.

We can hope. :mrgreen:

There's also a homebrew game named Beats of Rage. It's basically the same but uses KoF characters. Pretty cool!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

coe

Post by coe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Yeah I think we can all agree that part 2 was the only stand out masterpiece of the series but I think 1 and 3 both have enough redeeming qualities to make up a solid trilogy. I think the best thing about SoR in general is that it has a better outfit than a lot of other beat em ups; cookie cutter soundtracks, bland characters, settings, colors etc. that make you forget them. Whenever I look at my Sega Genesis I can remember all the SoR games like its 1994 again. I don't know, maybe I just spent too much time playing them loool