Overrated games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HEAVYface

Re: Overrated games!

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

speedlolita wrote:
LostPenguin wrote:street-fighter is overrated as well

and when you think about it you got games like soul caliber.. Tekken.. even mortal combat All fighting games... but with each new release they tried to ADD something Hell Tekken went to 3d
all of these were unique fighting games with their Own style.

then you look at street fighter... DOESN'T change the street fighter 4 sucked...

Soul calibers new finisher... epic addition so not like street fighter four where you get your ass kicked then out of no where you can pull a wind out of your ass... it completely takes away from learning how to play the game... when all you need to do is get your ass handed to you and continue sucking.
Tekken was always 3D. :|

Each Street Fighter plays pretty differently if you're playing at a slightly more advanced than beginner. Maybe you should try learning how to play the game - by playing real people.
tekkens graphics were always 3d (ditto virtua fighter) but the first few games of each played out on a 2d plane like street fighter 2 - i think thats what lostpenguin was getting at?

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Ah, 2.5D as it were then.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Freestyler wrote:Over-rated Game: Doom 3.

Walking into closed room after room, and having some monsters spawn directly behind you every single time is fun for the first 5 minutes. Then it gets dull. How about... I don't know... maybe actually having them in place when I get there so I can see them? Like Doom? And maybe Doom 2? The good ones?

So, I'm walking down a corridor (ALERT! A demon just magically appeared behind me!!) and I come to a room. (Naturally I've had to download the censored Duct Tape mod so I can see where the jolly censored I'm going, so I'm not suicidally walking into yet another spawning ambush) and I see a dead body on the floor. Since every other dead body I come across jumps up to attack me the very second I get close to it I decide to not approach it, and open fire from the doorway. Every single time. Thus removing the entire point of those jumpy-up-and-attacky enemies.

Yes the graphics are hella-sexy; even more so now that PCs have better Graphics Cards and don't choke on even the games lowest visual settings; but the game design is old. Archaic. Frankly it's quite dull. Maybe it gets better after the first few hours, but (to be honest) System Shock 2 did (and still does) a far better job of creating an atmosphere of sheer terrifying menace.

Without Cacodemons spawning like clockwork behind me every time I open a cupboard door.
I find the spawning demons add to the atmosphere. I loved how you moved from room to room and weren't allowed to think "right, that area's done, let's forget that last room and keep going". You couldn't because the threat of something appearing from behind was always there. Even worse when you hear something, turn around and there's a demon right in your face, screeching and you're like "SHHHHHIIII-" pumping bullets into like crazy just to get rid of it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Final Fantasy 13 the most recent example of an overrated game for me, just so borrrred of it now, people say it gets better after 25 hours but I'm finding it hard to get the motivation to play on, wouldn't be so bad if the story was any good.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:44 am

Megamixer wrote:I find the spawning demons add to the atmosphere. I loved how you moved from room to room and weren't allowed to think "right, that area's done, let's forget that last room and keep going". You couldn't because the threat of something appearing from behind was always there. Even worse when you hear something, turn around and there's a demon right in your face, screeching and you're like "SHHHHHIIII-" pumping bullets into like crazy just to get rid of it.
Yes it is good, but every single time? Why did id turn Doom 2 into Final Fantasy with that stupid random battle spawning thing. Also, like Final Fantasy the "Random battles" weren't random at all; they became expected instant battles, since you quickly got used to how and where they would spawn. You could argue that was part of the thrill, but the counter-argument would be Final Fantasy again. It's just not turn based.

I think I know why they chose to have them spawn. Their game engine was far and away the most advanced at that time, and most peoples PCs (at the time) struggled on medium-high settings, so having large open-plan rooms (the size of Doom 2 or even Quake 2) populated by lots of wandering monsters would have been a massive drain.

Perhaps I'm being a little unfair, and on today's systems Doom 3 (on max-ultra settings with High Res Textures patch) is still an utterly beautiful game. It's just not better thanDoom 2.

censored, I'm off to reinstall Doom 3 with the texture patch and play it again. It's not brilliant but it is damn good fun! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:48 am

Budly Moore wrote:Final Fantasy 13 the most recent example of an overrated game for me, just so borrrred of it now, people say it gets better after 25 hours but I'm finding it hard to get the motivation to play on, wouldn't be so bad if the story was any good.
25 hours?! Screw THAT.
I'm an adult. I have limited time. I have kids, work, bills, household chores, gardening... And that's before I even pick up a joypad!

Games get an HOUR tops. If they haven't piqued my interest by then they're in the bin. I don't have either the time or inclination to sit playing some game that's boring as watching a horse take a slow dump for 10 hours before it starts to get interesting.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:57 am

I stopped playing when I reached the non linear point. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Freestyler wrote:
Budly Moore wrote:Final Fantasy 13 the most recent example of an overrated game for me, just so borrrred of it now, people say it gets better after 25 hours but I'm finding it hard to get the motivation to play on, wouldn't be so bad if the story was any good.
25 hours?! Screw THAT.
I'm an adult. I have limited time. I have kids, work, bills, household chores, gardening... And that's before I even pick up a joypad!
So am I but being a huge FF fan I played the 25 hours and it DIDN'T get better! :x
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:22 pm

How can final fantasy 13 be over rated? It only got 5-7 out of 10 in pretty much every review I read, indicating it is pretty average. After playing it for 60 hours I'd agree, but I wouldn't call 5/10 over rated.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:How can final fantasy 13 be over rated? It only got 5-7 out of 10 in pretty much every review I read, indicating it is pretty average. After playing it for 60 hours I'd agree, but I wouldn't call 5/10 over rated.
Absolutely but there are many that love it so perhaps that's what he meant.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

giss

Post by giss » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm really need to get my flameshield up before saying this, but here goes.

-Final Fantasy VII
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Don't get me wrong, these are two great games. However, they constantly appear on the number one spot of pretty much every "best game ever" list, a position these games do not deserve.
Final Fantasy VII is a great RPG and I see why people love it so much, since it is pretty much the first RPG with such a detailed world and unique atmosphere. But it's not the best RPG ever (it's not even the best Final Fantasy ever, for me the best FF is Final Fantasy VI) and I get so tired of it being mentioned everywhere all the time.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time always take the number one spot on any Nintendo 64 list, but I guess I don't like it as much as everyone else cause I'm not even sure it makes it onto my personal N64 top5 list.

The thing that really makes these games so overrated is the fact that simply mentioning these games online has become some sort of an easy way to get people to agree with you. Usually once someone mentions any of them they get replies with people just saying "best. game. ever.", it's almost like it's presented as fact online that FFVII and Z:OoT are the greatest games ever. I bet there are A LOT of people out there who hasn't even finished these games that just agree with people and mention these games whenever they get the chance, just to have other people agree with what they're saying. I'm not saying this happens on this forum a lot, mainly on public sites and such.

TL;DR = FFVII & LoZ:OoT, gr8 gmz != gr8est KTNXBAI

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:57 pm

giss wrote:gr8 gmz != gr8est KTNXBAI
What? English please!
Last edited by SpiffierRabbit on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:01 pm

I haven't even finished Ocarina and I would say its one of if not the greatest game ever made. It's just a pure masterpiece from start to finish.
I can't imagine why anyone would argue otherwise. It isn't in my personal top 10 but I would never argue with all the people who say it is.

Some statements are just silly. :wink: :lol:
giss wrote:I'm really need to get my flameshield up before saying this, but here goes.

-Final Fantasy VII
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Don't get me wrong, these are two great games. However, they constantly appear on the number one spot of pretty much every "best game ever" list, a position these games do not deserve.
Final Fantasy VII is a great RPG and I see why people love it so much, since it is pretty much the first RPG with such a detailed world and unique atmosphere. But it's not the best RPG ever (it's not even the best Final Fantasy ever, for me the best FF is Final Fantasy VI) and I get so tired of it being mentioned everywhere all the time.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time always take the number one spot on any Nintendo 64 list, but I guess I don't like it as much as everyone else cause I'm not even sure it makes it onto my personal N64 top5 list.

The thing that really makes these games so overrated is the fact that simply mentioning these games online has become some sort of an easy way to get people to agree with you. Usually once someone mentions any of them they get replies with people just saying "best. game. ever.", it's almost like it's presented as fact online that FFVII and Z:OoT are the greatest games ever. I bet there are A LOT of people out there who hasn't even finished these games that just agree with people and mention these games whenever they get the chance, just to have other people agree with what they're saying. I'm not saying this happens on this forum a lot, mainly on public sites and such.

TL;DR = FFVII & LoZ:OoT, gr8 gmz != gr8est KTNXBAI

giss

Post by giss » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:41 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:
giss wrote:gr8 gmz != gr8est KTNXBAI
What? English please!
yeah I'm not even sure myself. I wanted to make a TL;DR but then halfway into it I changed my mind and instead of just deleting the line I just typed something random. It can be decoded, but probably not by sane people :wink:
nakamura wrote:I haven't even finished Ocarina and I would say its one of if not the greatest game ever made. It's just a pure masterpiece from start to finish.
I can't imagine why anyone would argue otherwise. It isn't in my personal top 10 but I would never argue with all the people who say it is.

Some statements are just silly. :wink: :lol:
well, let's just agree to disagree. as I said before it's a great game, it's just not as great as everyone says it is. I don't know what it is about it that keeps me from liking it a lot, really. I mean it has a lot of things that I like in gaming, but for some reason I just don't feel it. I like Majora's Mask better, but still it's not very engrossing for me.

I did finish it, but for a big part of the game I just played because I wanted to finish it, not because I wanted to play it. I wanted to know what all the talk was about, but it didn't live up to all the good things I've heard about it and therefor it's overrated in my eyes.

and I don't really get why anyone would call a game they didn't even finish "one of the best of all time". I mean if you didn't even find yourself wanting to play it enough to finish it, I can't see how one would consider it one of the greatest games of all time. but maybe that's just me.

oh well, I know saying OoT isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread is a bit like drawing the prophet mohammed. someday I'll find someone who shares my opinions, I know they're out there.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 pm

giss wrote: and I don't really get why anyone would call a game they didn't even finish "one of the best of all time". I mean if you didn't even find yourself wanting to play it enough to finish it, I can't see how one would consider it one of the greatest games of all time. but maybe that's just me.
because I can see exactly why people love it. I will finish it 1 day as its amazing, unlike Shenmue, which is just crap.