Overrated games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

speedlolita

Re: Overrated games!

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:50 am

giss wrote:Besides, the "random" (yeah, right) item system that favours people who can't drive, it sucks.
Oh please. All Mario Kart have that dumb system. The game is made for kids, what do you expect.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 am

Oh man i may get a bit of a backlash for this but id have to say Super Mario World. Whilst i found there was fun to be had in the game i just thought it was inferior to the MD Sonic games.

Graphics - The MD Sonic games were superior.

Gameplay - Again i found the MD Sonics much more enjoyable to play.

Level Design - The level design in the MD Sonic games were amazing with high's and Lo's and sometimes multiple routes through the level. The Death Egg zone on Sonic & Knuckles particularly act 2 was one of the craziest and most amazing levels ever. The 2d Mario games levels felt a bit flat and bland in comparison.

Music - Both games had some classic tunes but i preferred the music in the Sonic games as they were so memorable but id say the same for Mario World.

The only thing Mario World could claim to hold over the Sonic games was lastability and depth with its 96 levels and hidden Star road levels compared to the fairly short lifespan of the Sonic games but other than that i feel that Mario World as a whole was over rated and a 7.5/10.0 game and no more.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:05 pm

You are comparing 2 completely different games there.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:34 pm

I always found sonic over rated, never really got into completing it as fast as you type thing, so found it just a bit...bland really. Jazz jackrabbit for example combines the whole speed thing with shooting, much better game imo!

I do think SMW is over rated though - much prefer SMB 3 to it. Not really sure why tbh.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:39 pm

oli_lar wrote:
I do think SMW is over rated though - much prefer SMB 3 to it. Not really sure why tbh.
SMB3 was my least fav in the series. Just didn't like the level design, music and looks.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 pm

oli_lar wrote:I always found sonic over rated, never really got into completing it as fast as you type thing, so found it just a bit...bland really. Jazz jackrabbit for example combines the whole speed thing with shooting, much better game imo!

Well i never really liked it due to it being fast that was just a bonus it was mainly the levels the design, locations and the set pieces that did it for me aswel as the music.

As for SMB3 i never played it so cant comment but i enjoyed Mario Land on the Gameboy and also enjoyed Yoshi's Island. Loved the new graphical style of it even if at times the pace felt even slower than Mario World. Loved SM64 and Quite enjoyed Sunshine too.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:17 pm

I said this in the last overrated games thread, and it bears repeating- Super Mario Kart- but that's probably only because I never played it at the time of its release, and my first Mario Kart was the N64 one. It's alright, mind you- I've lightened up a little on the game- but people talk about it in reverential awe, almost, which I don't get. I saw it voted as the best video game of all time at least once (GamesTM, I believe) so yeah, definitely overhyped.

Also: Odin Sphere. By a long, long shot. Everyone was wetting their pants over this game before its release. They were drenched with anticipation. Even the box itself can't contain its love for itself as it says 'Enjoy a masterwork, a feast for the sense, the kind of visual experience that every gamer dreams possible, but rarely plays' and unfortunately I just didn't like it. It's very pretty, I'm not going to lie, but its prettiness comes at the cost of control- all floaty and awkward and basically making me feel like I wasn't controlling it at all, like playing a game in a particularly rubbish dream. I gave it a fair bit of time, but eventually gave up- I keep saying I'll give it another chance, but never do. GrimGrimoire by the same developers has the same visuals but they don't intrude with the controls at all, which is obviously why it never received any kind of hype compared to its stablemate.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:33 am

Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC) -
Although the game looks really nice, I don't like how they simplified the controls. They shouldn't have changed the classic 6-button style of play from the Street Fighter series and the first Marvel vs Capcom game. Thankfully, Capcom brought it back in Capcom vs SNK 2. Because that game is worlds better than this. Also, I'm not real big on the Marvel characters. I like Wolverine, that's about it. *shrug* I know a lot of people were excited about it being re-released on the 360 and PS3 because of the online play. But I could really care less. They should have put out Capcom vs SNK 2 instead

Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) -
A lot of gamers hold this one in high regards on many "Best of Xbox" lists. But myself, I don't understand what they see in this game. I tried getting into it many times but never could. First off, the controls are TERRIBLE! They don't seem to make any sense or work half the time. And a lot people raved about the graphics in this game but they must be playing it on a super expensive tv screen or monitor cause it didn't impress me at all on mine. In fact, I thought it looked like crap!

Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox) -
It's a great looking game and all, but it didn't deserve all the high praise that it received. I think most of it was just based on the graphics (like many games seem to be nowadays). Doom 3 was a MUCH better game, in my opinion.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 am

Doom 3 was a bland corridor-shooter with little variation. Check the reviews and you'll see that all they praise it on are the graphics!

Halo won out because of the fun story, vast ammount of enemies, weapons, vehicle sections and awesome multi-player :)

Over-Rated game...I'd say Street Fighter IV is over-rated. Compared to Tekken 6 & Blazblue it just feels slow & out-dated.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 am

Over-rated Game: Doom 3.

Walking into closed room after room, and having some monsters spawn directly behind you every single time is fun for the first 5 minutes. Then it gets dull. How about... I don't know... maybe actually having them in place when I get there so I can see them? Like Doom? And maybe Doom 2? The good ones?

So, I'm walking down a corridor (ALERT! A demon just magically appeared behind me!!) and I come to a room. (Naturally I've had to download the censored Duct Tape mod so I can see where the jolly censored I'm going, so I'm not suicidally walking into yet another spawning ambush) and I see a dead body on the floor. Since every other dead body I come across jumps up to attack me the very second I get close to it I decide to not approach it, and open fire from the doorway. Every single time. Thus removing the entire point of those jumpy-up-and-attacky enemies.

Yes the graphics are hella-sexy; even more so now that PCs have better Graphics Cards and don't choke on even the games lowest visual settings; but the game design is old. Archaic. Frankly it's quite dull. Maybe it gets better after the first few hours, but (to be honest) System Shock 2 did (and still does) a far better job of creating an atmosphere of sheer terrifying menace.

Without Cacodemons spawning like clockwork behind me every time I open a cupboard door.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:22 am

At least in Doom 3 the scenery and enemies were extremely well-done and frightening. In Halo, almost every level looked EXACTLY the same and the cartoonish enemies were about as scary as Krusty the Clown.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 am

Rayne wrote: Over-Rated game...I'd say Street Fighter IV is over-rated. Compared to Tekken 6 & Blazblue it just feels slow & out-dated.
True dat. Haven't played Tekken 6 or Blazblue, but of the two times I've played Street Fighter IV, I haven't enjoyed it at all. Probably because I'm crap at it, but there you go.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 am

Rayne wrote: Over-Rated game...I'd say Street Fighter IV is over-rated. Compared to Tekken 6 & Blazblue it just feels slow & out-dated.
Blasphemer! I think SFIV is a fantastic new direction for the series whereas Tekken 6 is pretty much exactly as it's always been. Blazblue is groovy though.

Over-rated game for me is World of Warcraft which fails to hold any interest for me. I just don't get how people find it so addictive.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:08 am

Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) -
A lot of gamers hold this one in high regards on many "Best of Xbox" lists. But myself, I don't understand what they see in this game. I tried getting into it many times but never could. First off, the controls are TERRIBLE! They don't seem to make any sense or work half the time. And a lot people raved about the graphics in this game but they must be playing it on a super expensive tv screen or monitor cause it didn't impress me at all on mine. In fact, I thought it looked like crap!

whilst i don't mind the visuals, i agree panzer dragoon orta is a dour, long winded, overcomplicated mess of a game.

over rated? some recent stinkers (imo) i had the mispleasure to play:
ninja gaiden black
lost planet
bio shock
doom 3
bangai o spirits

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:10 pm

HEAVYface wrote:Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) -

whilst i don't mind the visuals, i agree panzer dragoon orta is a dour, long winded, overcomplicated mess of a game.

over rated? some recent stinkers (imo) i had the mispleasure to play:
ninja gaiden black
lost planet
bio shock
doom 3
bangai o spirits
Christ! Harsh comments, Doom 3 was fantastic on the PC, and I loved Bangai on the DC. Oh well, each to their own, even if its not the rightest you've ever been. :wink: