Overrated games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Overrated games!

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:35 am

No, I didn't post those games to annoy people. The thread title is "Over-Rated Games" - and I feel that those games are over-rated. Don't know why you're making such a big thing of this.

A standard platformer with far more variety than Super Mario World would be Alex Kidd in Miracle World, with its downward-travelling, Janken matches, motorbike rides, swimming sections, pedal-copters, speed boats and castle mazes. Happy now?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:29 am

I must say TwoHeadedBoy I'm not feeling your pure hatred for Contra Spirits. :x Fair enough though if you didn't like it. If I can just say I fail to see how it's slow when on the harder difficulty settings it's almost manic in the way you jump and dodge bullets, also I fail to see how it's linear or bland when the bosses are so well designed and the 3D mode7 sections do a great job of breaking up standard side-on action yet you think it's "pointless". Surely the crappy 3D into the screen bit's on Sonic 2 (your favourite game) are pointless too by the same token, even less so maybe as you you do is collect rings?

Have to say I'm quite surprised by your opinion as it's one of my favourite games of all time and yet I never thought someone could outright hate it so much and yet at the same time rate other games in the series.

I'm not a having a go at you obviously as you can like or hate what you will, makes no difference to me but it just looks from an outside perspective like a fanboy comment, though I understand if you do feel like that about it, and many of the other SNES exclusives. Cheers!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for not getting militant, Mr. Style :)

The thing with Contra Spirits is, I didn't play it until around a decade after playing Contra Hard Corps for the first time - and even you should admit, when you put the two side-by-side, Spirits seems like a walk in the park, right?

I can defend Sonic 2's 3D bits by saying you don't HAVE to do those, they're not in the way at all - they're only there if you want to see Super Sonic, a nice little bonus option. In Spirits, those parts are "in the way" of the continuing adventures, so to speak.

Is that alright?

Again, cheers for not going psycho on me, I seem to get that a lot around here lately :lol:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:20 am

Contra Spirits is a good game, but its still the worst of the series (main branch, not those dodgy later games), it was too reliant on flashy gimmicks and didn't contain enough content, at the end of the day it only contains 6 stages ffs, 2 of which are really shitty top down levels, and one of which is a boss rush, that leaves you with a three stage game. The two NES Contra's are proper meatty games with respectable length, and Hard Corps on Mega Drive is bursting at the seams with masses of content and options.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:34 am

This thread shows our individual tastes - and more importantly - how Reviewers try to interpret these tastes. Simply giving any Zelda game an automatic 10/10 is both disingenuous and highly pandering to their audience. They know their customers like these games and so will review them highly regardless of actual merit.

Zelda: Wind Waker was a good - if very rushed - game. Sections were either blatantly missing or "borrowed" wholesale from Ocarina of Time and previous games.
Needless to say almost every magazine and internet site in the world went mental over it. Remove the Zelda franchise from it and it's "merely" a good game. Put Link in it and it's suddenly the best game ever made. Metacritic has it at an astonishing 96/100 average from EIGHTY reviews!

No magazine wants to tell their audience their "favourite" game is crap. Think of the loss of sales!
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Hmm, maybe but pretty much every magazine gave Wind Waker a high score, reason being it was a bloody good game regardless of the fans or previous installments. I still regard it as being worse than OoT, Lttp or Links Awakening though.

TwoHeadedBoy, yeah mate no probs. Different strokes and all that, agree that it's pretty pedestrian to a newcomer who's used to Hard Corps, but it's still a frantic game on the higher difficulty. As for other arguments made by storm_maker about it being short, well c'mon! all these 16-bit run and gun a games are hardly non-linear epic experiences. The re-playability is key here with any shooter and Spirits/Alien Wars has it by the bucket load, at least imo. I think it has some seriously hardcore gameplay when you get into it and I rate it higher than any Metal Slug game. The new Contra rebirth is pretty damn good too from what I've played of it, worth picking that one up for Level 3 alone!

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:29 pm

One thing I want to say, I came into this conversation late, I do not hate Contra Spirits, its a good game just ludicrously overrated.
C=Style wrote:As for other arguments made by storm_maker about it being short, well c'mon! all these 16-bit run and gun a games are hardly non-linear epic experiences.
I don't care about the linear design of Run N' Gun games, I'm talking about longevity, and the feeling of the game being a journey, three stages is not a journey, three stages is not even a game, its a demo, and if it wasn't for the extra padding afforded by the awful top down levels everyone would be able to see that there's nothing to the game at all, its wafer thin, when I originally completed it I just thought "where the heck is the other half of the game?!"

I mean, yeah those 3 stages were damn good, the airplane bombing the ground, climbing the wall when that robot clamps on, the skeletons, riding on missiles, but many people make out this game is the best Contra ever created and it only has three stages! not only that, but a lot sections of those three stages are actually re-created in Hard Corps, along with tons more stages all just as unique and excellently contructed as the others.

Contra Spirits really suffered because it was designed around gimmicks, I know I keep bringing the top down levels up but try to use some foresight here, this is 16-bit! those levels should've been more akin to what you would find in Mercs on Mega Drive for instance, a proper level design, its so blatant that the developers just tried to create the level around the effect and had to pretty much throw actual level design out the window.
C=Style wrote:The re-playability is key here with any shooter and Spirits/Alien Wars has it by the bucket load, at least imo.
The replayability of Contra Spirits is pretty limited, Hard Corps on the other hand has loads of levels and branching pathways and different characters with different weapons who all play differently to each other.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Fair enough if that's how you look at it storm_maker, I'm not an authority on Contra but I certainly don't share your views. Contra 3 is a 6 stage game, if you want to look at it as a 3 stage then fine. I personally like the overhead sections, I mean a lot of games are built around the hardware they are on and it never done Pilotwings or F-Zero any harm, nor has it in this case.

As for re-playability, I've been playing Contra III on and off since it's US release, I still own my original cart. It's just a game I keep coming back to, I love the graphic and sound style the most out of all Contra games and the gameplay is just as enjoyable to me as it was all them years ago. So yeah, I don't want to argue about it, and you're not going to change my mind (and vice versa) on what I think about it, so it's just a case of differing tastes I guess.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:38 pm

I can take or leave the Devil May Cry games. I dunno, I liked the first one but the hooks didn't go deep enough I guess :?

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

This is probably as bad as drawing a cartoon about the prohet mohammed,

But I'm afraid I phuqing hated Super Mario Kart, I bought it based on magazine reviews and hated it from the minute its foul brand of cuteness soiled my SNES.

KangaRod

Post by KangaRod » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:35 pm

I'll catch up on the thread later, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

Final Fantasy VII
SPOILER ALERT

I love JRPGs don't get me wrong, but I have just simply had it with this game!
I do not want to do motorcycle racing, snowboarding, marching, RTS type tactical strategy or any of the other mandatory mini-games, for starters, forcing me to run through those scenarios was beyond annoying. Im playing a fricken RPG, tell me a story! Speaking of which, Im 30 hours in and I do not see my self finishing it because I cannot take the storyline anymore. It is just getting to out of hand.
Cloud was not in soldier, he made the whole thing up - actually he's not even real, hes a figment of Tifa's imagination.
No, really actually, he is a clone of Sephiroth, who in turn is a clone of Sephiroth - wait wat?

Yeah Sephiroth died, and they cloned him, and called him Sephiroth.... OK?

Cloud is actually a bad guy that has been constantly directed by Jenova unknown to him, and in reality he is remembering Zach's memor.....wait a second, Zach? Who is that? Are they introducing a brand new character (seemingly crucial to the storyline, 30 hours into a story line that I am just beginning to start to think that some day I might be able to grasp the general direction that they are going.

Weapon is the worst name for a weapon (or beast or whatever) ever. Please use more creativity next time.

I cannot keep my party consistent because every 3 or 4 hours someone dies, goes to sleep, gets injured, or I am running through a part where some character is mandatory for reasons I don't understand. Whats wrong with the Dragon Quest model (you have your "active party" - and the other characters are following you around all the time - and you can use whatever characters you want at any time because they are always right there.) - So I have to constantly go over my materia and equipment to make sure everyone is correctly outfitted.

I regularly get stuck at some point because of the games explicit linear nature, and because I missed a step cannot go further in the game, and have no idea where to go next, or actually where I should've gone in the first place. If you missed it, maybe I should be able to talk to someone in the party to give me a hint, or go to a soothsayer (like Zelda) for direction on where to go.

I am getting angry just thinking about the game, because I want to enjoy it so much, but just cannot, I'm sorry.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Shenmue.
Always hated it and cannot stand the excuses that Sega were trying to create a full game world etc etc. Well it was pretty limited in the end and had perhaps the worst controls in gaming history. Its all well and good trying to create something but when you do not have sufficient tools to pull it off whats the point?
Story aside, all of it was crap bar the arcade.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

giss

Post by giss » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:32 pm

Mario Kart 64.

I'm sorry, but I never really liked it. It looks like crap and it handles like crap. Using sprites for characters in a game for the Nintendo 64? Besides, the "random" (yeah, right) item system that favours people who can't drive, it sucks.
And don't tell me "it was an early N64 game" either, cause Diddy Kong Racing also came out in 97 and its FAR superior (I know it was over 6 months later).

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:06 pm

giss wrote:Mario Kart 64.

I'm sorry, but I never really liked it. It looks like crap and it handles like crap. Using sprites for characters in a game for the Nintendo 64? Besides, the "random" (yeah, right) item system that favours people who can't drive, it sucks.
And don't tell me "it was an early N64 game" either, cause Diddy Kong Racing also came out in 97 and its FAR superior (I know it was over 6 months later).
Completely agree. Imagine getting a tac nuke on MW2 after dying 25 times :/

Is it just me or a lot of N64's flagship titles some of the most overrated games ever?
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:29 pm

FlyHighKid wrote:Is it just me or a lot of N64's flagship titles some of the most overrated games ever?
Early Nintendo games suffered from an overdose of "Miyamoto Syndrome" as I call it.

Basically anything even remotely connected to this man was considered an automatic 10 by magazines, regardless of actual content, quality, or genre. It wasn't his fault. He just designed games he liked playing. The gaming press would often appear to have written their Nintendo reviews based on the colour of the screenshots alone.

A bit like the early nineties and any Japanese game that made it over to Europe. Japan is the home of videogames; therefore any game that's Japanese has to be good.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.