Overrated games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JetSetWilly

Re: Overrated games!

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:04 pm

thevulture wrote:
Doddsy wrote:Ok its not retro but Fable II for Xbox 360. Designed for 12 year old girls and possibly the worst game Disney never did! :lol: I know i'm going to get flamed for this but thats still not going to change my opinion; Peter Molyneux is so over rated I haven't liked a single game he has done. Its all hype with him and I just find them boring to play. No I'll tell a lie there was one - Syndicate Wars but then again he did only produce it.
Far from flame you, i totally agree.The mouth piece even has a P.R agent with him for interviews these days.Fable 1+2 Both fell way short of the clap trap he claimed would be in the game, yet Press going ape for Fable 3 already.The Big natal unvieling was faked and besides all this?His hyped games?Done by Teams of people, yet he`s treated like a minor deity by the media.Why? :?
See, I liked this when I first played it, but then after a while, I just couldn't be bothered, so I totally agree. All I want from an RPG, is to explore, gamble, get drunk (for comedy reasons) and save the world. Not get married, raise kids, become a millionaire, get a job. I don't want a bleeding life simulator. Thats what THE SIMS are for, ffs :roll:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Fable II was a good game. Not great, so yes. Very over-rated.

Using Stephen Fry as Reaver made me throw my disc out the damn window.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 pm

thevulture wrote::wink: He said on Fable 2 previews that it would deliver everything that was missing from the 1st game-It did`nt.Now?He`s doing the same thing AGAIN, I.E Slagging off his last game, but saying Hey Kids, Fable 3 is going to correct all that.Sorry Pete, but you pulled the old 'All my previous work was rubbish, but new game will be fantastic' in a Official Dreamcast magazine Preview of Black and White, a game Sega themselves got so fed up of waiting for, they canceled the publishing deal.
I don't recall any of that, sure you're not making it up? ;) he put out a LOT of hype for the first game and wrote a written apology to the fans if you remember. I read a couple of interviews with him in OXBM and he said he purposely had kept quiet about a lot of things in the game in order to have the opposite effect that the first game had ie surprises and not disappointment. I didn't hear/read too much hype either, and I really was surprised at how much stuff was in Fable II, it was pretty epic.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Plus the PR guy he walks around with is to STOP him from opening his mouth and getting excited (and therefore carried away) with whatever subject he's enthused with. So, less a PR Spin-merchant and more a walking Molyneux-Muzzle.

But surely Petie can't be faulted for at least trying to aim high? Or would we prefer yet another "Me-too" DevHouse?
The guy made Magic Carpet for censored's sake! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Peter went on record to say he did`nt see the point in making just a very good RPG(which i`m sure Fable 2 is),Fable 2 was to be the game that peter was deicated to righting his past wrongings, to be the BEST RPG on the market, he said he was going to have players feel like characters in fable 2 were real life, not just NPC`s.It was going to be emotionally and technologically sophisiticated.Lot was said about the dog,well knock me down with an over hyped RPG, it sniffed out treasure, bit downed foes once in a while, learns tricks etc, but NOT by YOU teaching it,Oh No, you just find and read books.How emotionally involving is that?.This was to be Peters experiment to teach players to love and that`s it? That`s all it boils down to?.Combat?Dumbed down.I CANNOT die, so how am i supposed to fear death?Oh i get a new scar...as for the technologocial aspect?Noticed plenty of pop up, glitching etc.As for the mini-games?Shen Mue Fork lift driving was as involving.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

So, 1)NO not making anything up, just going on my experiences of Fable 2 compared to those i expected after reading Peter`s preview stuff.2) Peter was Executive producer on Magic Carpet, team of what? 15+ people worked on the game.It was by Bullfrog Productions, The scenario, level design, programming etc, all done by others.I don`t seem to see/Hear them getting anywhere near the credit Peter does...I`m glad he DOES have vision, just wish sometimes he`d set his sights a little more realistically. I played Fable 2, after completing oblivion(and the shivering isles) to me, Fable 2, just felt the lesser title.Fable 2?seemed to be Fable 1.5 running on 360 hardware, where as Oblivion, was such a huge experience, the freedom avaiable, the gaming world?Never seen anything like it on console before.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm

thevulture wrote: I played Fable 2, after completing oblivion(and the shivering isles) to me, Fable 2, just felt the lesser title.Fable 2?seemed to be Fable 1.5 running on 360 hardware, where as Oblivion, was such a huge experience, the freedom avaiable, the gaming world?Never seen anything like it on console before.
Me too I think thats why I wasn't too impressed with it. I just felt it lacked the first person perspective that I was so used to in Oblivion and the graphics weren't as stunning.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat May 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Doddsy wrote: Peter Molyneux is so over rated I haven't liked a single game he has done. .
Spot on .
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:23 pm

nakamura wrote:
Doddsy wrote: Peter Molyneux is so over rated I haven't liked a single game he has done. .
Spot on .

Populous was aces. But yeah...

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun May 02, 2010 6:30 pm

thevulture wrote: I played Fable 2, after completing oblivion(and the shivering isles) to me, Fable 2, just felt the lesser title.Fable 2?seemed to be Fable 1.5 running on 360 hardware, where as Oblivion, was such a huge experience, the freedom avaiable, the gaming world?Never seen anything like it on console before.
Apples and oranges mate.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Just about anything by Peter Molyneux
Halo 3
Modern warfare 2
Frontier Elite 2...real Newton physics do not a great game make.
Turok Dinosaur Hunter..remember the reviews for that one..nearly broke my new N64 on that!