Overrated games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

optimus

Re: Overrated games!

Post by optimus » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:51 pm

nakamura wrote: unlike Shenmue, which is just crap.
HOW DARE YOU?!!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:07 pm

optimus wrote:
HOW DARE YOU?!!
But it is, it's barely even a game. Crap controls, slow and plodding plot, crap mini games, pointless moments like having a coke etc. It looks ok, has stunning music and fair play the idea was interesting but it was way too soon. It's a poor game.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Some recent games that are overrated:

Batman AA - game of the year or repetitive, brown and badly animated. Also batman has no super powers and comes across as a tw*t :)

Call of duty 4 onwards slightly above average mass market FPS's, designed for people who only buy one game a year

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Call of duty 4 onwards slightly above average mass market FPS's, designed for people who only buy one game a year
I was complaining about that to a mate today. How they justify a £50 price tag for such little content. He went on about the online but I said it's the same online service they have had for years with a few minor changes. The actual game is tiny.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

giss

Post by giss » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

nakamura wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:
I was complaining about that to a mate today. How they justify a £50 price tag for such little content. He went on about the online but I said it's the same online service they have had for years with a few minor changes. The actual game is tiny.
didn't they actually make it worse? I heard you can't use dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2, but I never played it so I'm not sure.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:44 pm

giss wrote:
nakamura wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:
didn't they actually make it worse? I heard you can't use dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2, but I never played it so I'm not sure.
Actually yeah you are correct there. They can hacked too apparently, my mate never player MW2 now as a consequence! :lol:

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:03 pm

nakamura wrote:
optimus wrote:
HOW DARE YOU?!!
But it is, it's barely even a game. Crap controls, slow and plodding plot, crap mini games, pointless moments like having a coke etc. It looks ok, has stunning music and fair play the idea was interesting but it was way too soon. It's a poor game.

Ill second that ad both 3 times now once as a curios and 2 xtimes to sell its shat!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Erm, Cod servers, and any other FPS server, have been hacked, dedicated or not, since Doom.
Let's get it clear; everyone knows IW/Activision made a censored up with how they implemented the PC servers.

To criticise a game for only making small changes though? Really? Like most fighters do? Cos thats basically the same sort of argument. COD 4 was a great game (is, a great game) because it did everything previous COD's had done well and made it better. Overrated? By magazines it wasn't; prior to the game getting masively popular it got okay reviews, mostly criticising the game's single player mode for being too short. By people who played it? I don't think a game that can get people playing it for as long as people did, as much as they did, and then sing it's praises consistantly can be classed as 'overrated' anymore than anyother game which millions of people think is excellent can.

I get that people have their own opinions about the COD games, but this whole 'the games only popular because it's mass market friendly' argument is complete crap (and seems to be almost a standard comment made by people who seem to think their taste in games is instantly better than others. Or 'more hardcore' as it were). The game was popular because it was a bloody good game which a lot of people liked a lot, whether they be new to the series or fans since the first one.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Some recent games that are overrated:

Batman AA - game of the year or repetitive, brown and badly animated. Also batman has no super powers and comes across as a tw*t :)
You can't really complain about Batman not having super powers can you?
Splink!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:17 pm

And if it's a Christian Bale inspired Batman you can't complain about the tw*t part either...

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:17 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:Some recent games that are overrated:

You can't really complain about Batman not having super powers can you?
I think we'd all complain if Batman DID have super powers in a game! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Space_turnip wrote: To criticise a game for only making small changes though? Really? Like most fighters do?
Indeed but look at the price of Super SFIV. £24.99 just like MW2 should have been.

DavitosanX

Post by DavitosanX » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Overrated classics, eh? How about Battletoads for the NES? That game was simply impossible, and far too frustrating to be any fun. Final Fantasy 8 and beyond are -way- overrated, too. Characters and situations aren't as interesting as they were on the SNES.
The 16-bit era was heaven. But, oh no, 16-bit just wasn't good enough for you, was it? WAS IT?
Back 2 the Past - Retrogaming Blog .- http://davitosan.wordpress.com/

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:37 pm

nakamura wrote:
Space_turnip wrote: To criticise a game for only making small changes though? Really? Like most fighters do?
Indeed but look at the price of Super SFIV. £24.99 just like MW2 should have been.
MW 2 had a completely new single player campaign, all new maps, new game modes, an entire new spec ops section, multiplayer perks completely changed...it's not really the same is it? That's like saying Gears 2, Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2 should have been cheaper because they effectively only add content.

My point was that whilst some genres and games can get by with relatively little changes over the years (street fighter is a good example, shmups are the same to me too but also with sports games), and yet are still considered great games, especially by those who consider themselves 'hardcore gamers', the FPS genre, especially on consoles and especially with COD it seems, are criticised for staying the same and being stale. When in actuality they have more innovation and variance than *most* genres. (play a fps from 96, 99, 03 and now and the differences are huge, mostly for the better. Not many genres can say the same.)

It doesn't bother me if people dislike FPS's or any other genre, but there's so much 'hate' of the FPS genre and it seems to stem mainly from an elitest attitude to games that has no real sense to it. I'm not saying that you, or anyone in particular, holds that view, but there's got to be a couple of dozen threads now where people have had a pop at a game that either they haven't played or dislike only because it's making some sort of some strange counter-statement. Genuine disliking for a game; great. Disliking a game because people who can't name the guy who did music for an obscure 90's japanese shmup like to play it; pointless. (again I point out not directed at you)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:04 am

nakamura wrote:
It was on day of release (well £26)...........