Overrated games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

speedlolita

Re: Overrated games!

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:14 pm

Mootown wrote:
Rayne wrote: Over-Rated game...I'd say Street Fighter IV is over-rated. Compared to Tekken 6 & Blazblue it just feels slow & out-dated.
Blasphemer! I think SFIV is a fantastic new direction for the series whereas Tekken 6 is pretty much exactly as it's always been. Blazblue is groovy though.

Over-rated game for me is World of Warcraft which fails to hold any interest for me. I just don't get how people find it so addictive.
I think BlazBlue is overrated, considering it's worse than the last Guilty Gear. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Freestyler wrote:Over-rated Game: Doom 3.

Walking into closed room after room, and having some monsters spawn directly behind you every single time is fun for the first 5 minutes. Then it gets dull. How about... I don't know... maybe actually having them in place when I get there so I can see them? Like Doom? And maybe Doom 2? The good ones?

So, I'm walking down a corridor (ALERT! A demon just magically appeared behind me!!) and I come to a room. (Naturally I've had to download the censored Duct Tape mod so I can see where the jolly censored I'm going, so I'm not suicidally walking into yet another spawning ambush) and I see a dead body on the floor. Since every other dead body I come across jumps up to attack me the very second I get close to it I decide to not approach it, and open fire from the doorway. Every single time. Thus removing the entire point of those jumpy-up-and-attacky enemies.

Yes the graphics are hella-sexy; even more so now that PCs have better Graphics Cards and don't choke on even the games lowest visual settings; but the game design is old. Archaic. Frankly it's quite dull. Maybe it gets better after the first few hours, but (to be honest) System Shock 2 did (and still does) a far better job of creating an atmosphere of sheer terrifying menace.

Without Cacodemons spawning like clockwork behind me every time I open a cupboard door.
Don't believe a word of it, Doom 3 on the PC is great. This chap has probably played too much Mario, and now spends his time eating dodgy mushrooms.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:01 pm

speedlolita wrote: I think BlazBlue is overrated, considering it's worse than the last Guilty Gear. :lol:
You mean Guilty Gear 2? That 3D one? That's on my purchasing list at the moment, and I don't usually read reviews - you'd say it was a bad game?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:12 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
speedlolita wrote: I think BlazBlue is overrated, considering it's worse than the last Guilty Gear. :lol:
You mean Guilty Gear 2? That 3D one? That's on my purchasing list at the moment, and I don't usually read reviews - you'd say it was a bad game?
Guilty Gear 2 was released 2007, Accent Core Plus was released 2008.

And DO NOT BUY GUILTY GEAR TWO. Worst game I've played on 360.

Accent Core Plus however is amazing.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 pm

I actually enjoyed Guilty Gear 2. It was actually better than I expected it to be. Had a better RTS system than Brutal Legend did at least. Not at patch on the proper GG games though, did Accent Core Plus ever get a PAL release?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Is there a good Guilty Gear game on the Wii at all? I think there is one but I don't know if it's any good?

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:05 pm

C=Style wrote:Is there a good Guilty Gear game on the Wii at all? I think there is one but I don't know if it's any good?
That would be Accent Core.

Get it, it's cheap and fantastic.

No censored idea why it was ported to Wii in the PAL territory ONLY. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:13 am

I'm going with Donkey Kong Country. Very VERY overrated. I agree the graphics are a technical marvel for the SNES & it is a fun platformer. I just find that it feels very heavy. I played it a lot growing up & tried really hard to enjoy it as much as everyone else seemed to, but in the end it just felt like a good platformer. Just good, not great.

Super Mario World on the other hand I play once every year or so, I can't get enough of that game.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 am

Hmm, Donkey Kong Country. Looks nice, yes, very clumsy and annoying, yes. Somehow I think the third game (Dixie Kong's Double Trouble) fixed all of these issues, and is probably the best platformer on the SNES. Finding all the secrets on the maps and the banana birds and everything, yes, very "fun".
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:12 pm

The best platformer on the SNES would be Super Mario All Stars, if that doesn't count then Yoshi's Island. But hey, I was never a massive fan of DKC either. I always found it to be a very basic platformer and certainly a case of style over substance. I thought the sequel was a lot better though, Diddy's Kong Quest, very good game. :mrgreen:

LostPenguin

Post by LostPenguin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 pm

final fantasy- its not that i don't like final fantasy but they give it way to much credit
and metal gear solid
OH and grand theft auto... screw that game

street-fighter is overrated as well

and when you think about it you got games like soul caliber.. Tekken.. even mortal combat All fighting games... but with each new release they tried to ADD something Hell Tekken went to 3d
all of these were unique fighting games with their Own style.

then you look at street fighter... DOESN'T change the street fighter 4 sucked...

Soul calibers new finisher... epic addition so not like street fighter four where you get your ass kicked then out of no where you can pull a wind out of your ass... it completely takes away from learning how to play the game... when all you need to do is get your ass handed to you and continue sucking.

and then really whats all the hype about grand theft auto
you just run around stealing cars and complete a mission here or there
at least you knew spider-man would suck because of the movies... but the Graphics were good
whereas grand theft auto had the same graphic quality of crazy taxi for the Dreamcast

i mean really, rockstar dropped the ball with the series... its like Squaresoft making Disney on ice for video games

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:10 pm

C=Style wrote:The best platformer on the SNES would be Super Mario All Stars, if that doesn't count then Yoshi's Island. But hey, I was never a massive fan of DKC either. I always found it to be a very basic platformer and certainly a case of style over substance. I thought the sequel was a lot better though, Diddy's Kong Quest, very good game. :mrgreen:
Mario All-Stars is good, but I wouldn't really count it as a SNES platformer - just for NES games on a cartridge with more annoying sound. Yoshi's Island though, I forgot about that one. And Cybernator, and Mystical Ninja, and SkyBlazer, and Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts...

You know what? Sod Donkey Kong Country 3!
Last edited by TwoHeadedBoy on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:10 am

LostPenguin wrote:final fantasy- its not that i don't like final fantasy but they give it way to much credit
and metal gear solid
OH and grand theft auto... screw that game

street-fighter is overrated as well

and when you think about it you got games like soul caliber.. Tekken.. even mortal combat All fighting games... but with each new release they tried to ADD something Hell Tekken went to 3d

then you look at street fighter... DOESN'T change the street fighter 4 sucked...

Soul calibers new finisher... epic addition so not like street fighter four where you get your ass kicked then out of no where you can pull a wind out of your ass... it completely takes away from learning how to play the game... when all you need to do is get your ass handed to you and continue sucking.

and then really whats all the hype about grand theft auto
you just run around stealing cars and complete a mission here or there
at least you knew spider-man would suck because of the movies... but the Graphics were good
whereas grand theft auto had the same graphic quality of crazy taxi for the Dreamcast

i mean really, rockstar dropped the ball with the series... its like Squaresoft making Disney on ice for video games
For many reasons this post I find hilarious. Saying GTA wasn't good because the graphics looked like Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast but Spiderman had better graphics is like two bizarre wrong statements in one - I'm not especially a fan of GTA but I get it - Crazy Taxi had awesome gaphics and gameplay at the time - spiderman wasn't exactly photo-realistic tho now was it. I'd rather have my game compared to a true Sega Classic than a mediocre film tie-in.

And then saying SFIV hasn't evolved but Tekken, soul Calibur and MORTAL KOMBAT (!) have :?
I like fighting games so I'm not going to say a bad word about the others but Streetfighter is the original - it was the boom, the one responsible for the revitalising a genre that didn't really exist. Arguably all the titles mentioned wouldn't have been commercially as vialble or even exist at all if it wasn't for the success of Streetfighter.

And incidently SFIV is a lot different in execution to the other series - look at SFII, then Alpha/Zero then SFIII - the mechanic remains similar but the characters change, the graphic style changes a lot etc. If you want to see a series that hasn't changed to the untrained eye I would say Soul Calibur and Tekken haven't really changed hardly at all since day 1, only moved with technology unlike SF where at least Capcom have gone back to the drawing board and changed the overall look and feel etc. For me SFIV is one of the best re-imaginings of a classic that anyone has yet done.

Anyhoo time for a coffee.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:20 am

LostPenguin wrote:street-fighter is overrated as well

Tekken was always 3D. :|

Each Street Fighter plays pretty differently if you're playing at a slightly more advanced than beginner. Maybe you should try learning how to play the game - by playing real people.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:45 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Mario All-Stars is good, but I wouldn't really count it as a SNES platformer - just for NES games on a cartridge with more annoying sound. Yoshi's Island though, I forgot about that one. And Cybernator, and Mystical Ninja, and SkyBlazer, and Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts...

You know what? Sod Donkey Kong Country 3!
True, but what great NES games they are! I mean all the games had a little bit of a graphical makeover too, but then I know you're not a massive Mario fan anyhow ( :wink: ). When you really think about it though there's some stiff competition like you say, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts what a fantastic game mmmm.

Yeah screw DKC!, though I've not actually played the third one, I'll definitely spend some time with it now you've said it's good. :)