Overrated games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Red_Avatar

Overrated games!

Post by Red_Avatar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:40 pm

There's been plenty of topics about hidden gems, forgotten classics, favorite games, etc. but what games do you feel have been wrongfully praised? Which games, for you, are real stinkers despite many people loving them? Or which games just have a crucial flaw which you simply can't forgive while most others can?

A few of mine:

- Black & White: this game I really really don't like. It looks good, it has a big production value but the game itself plainly sucks. Why? The entire game is a weak strategy game with a fiddly tamagoshi attached. A tamagoshi that never does what you want, who is a constant nuisance and who ruins your hard work by disobeying. Yet take that creature away, and you got a weak and dull strategy game. The fact that the first half of the game is a tutorial where the game won't let you do as you please (and it's unskippable!!!) is unforgivable. Even worse: Black & White 2 learned very little from their mistakes and once again, you had terrible tutorial levels that take hours to complete and which drain any fun out of the game. I had to personally beg one of the guys at Lionhead to make the basic tutorial skippable before they'd actually make it so in a patch.

- Zelda Phantom Hourglass: I bought this for NDS and I just don't like it. It's a mix of Windwaker and the classic Zelda but with the fiddly control system from the NDS thrown in. The fact that you constantly have to hop islands, go through the same dungeons again and again, use the same trick to defeat enemies, etc. It's just too much effort and not enough fun.

- Final Fantasy (the early ones): I used to enjoy jRPGs but after playing yet another almost identical jRPG with near identical graphics, the exact same battle mechanics, another weak story about some vague evil threatening the world, almost identical villages to explore, almost identical worlds, etc. etc. I've grown sick of the games. Luckily, there are some exceptions like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII & VIII but so many others are so generic (or have become so by imitation) that I can't make myself play them anymore. 100+ hour long games where the combat becomes painfully repetitive and dull is not my idea of fun.
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect! ~Owens Lee Pomeroy

C=Style

Re: Overrated games!

Post by C=Style » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Alien Breed Revolution lol. That is if it gets any decent reviews. Ugly brown/green generic shooter that looks nothing like the Amiga original.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Red_Avatar wrote:There's been plenty of topics about hidden gems, forgotten classics, favorite games, etc.......
...and plenty about overrated games too :wink: :wink:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... ed#p342565
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... ed#p246850
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Half life II
Counter Strike
Diablo II (Great game, but not THAT great)
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:36 pm

/adorns bullet proof armour +1

Personally i think the Original Half Life was overated.

The game itself is fantastic but when you read some of the reviews from the past and even up to todays present offerings, it's almost as if it was the saving grace of another video game crash.

Games like Quake 2 and the Original Unreal sold the FPS for me.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:42 am

Overrated:

Grand Theft Auto series: Yes they're good games, but if you're not doing the missions they're just stupidly boring. I love Sandbox, but that ain't it. (I have not played GTA4 so I reserve judgement)

Super Mario Land (Original Gameboy): Sorry, you expect me to enjoy this pile of dogshit after blessing me with the superb Super Mario Bros 3 on NES? Good job the sequel 6 golden Coins wasn't anywhere near as bad. Even if the last level was cheap. God alone knows why putting "Mario" on something automatically equates to an automatic Nine-out-of-Ten review score.

Mortal Kombat Series: Westerners should NOT be allowed to make Fighting Games. This "effort" and Killer Instinct are the reasons why. Technical finesse and skill spurned for mindless violence and over-the-top Pre-programmed "Combo" moves. Truly dreadful. No wonder the Japanese think we're all Sociopaths.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:51 am

The majority of games you lot talk about :wink:

Nah i joke, but zelda has never done anything for me, i enjoyed the gold carts on the nes, because they look nice... terrible reason to own a game, but still makes me happy 8) ...i don't even own a nes ...

I'm also really not a fan of oddworld series, they're fun, but i think i've lost my love for them

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:59 pm

HALO!
Oh yes I raged at the stupid censored that said it was "The best first person shooter ever" at that video game awards show.
It was like she was paid to say it

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:22 pm

i love all games on all platforms. Except Nights which is, actually, rubbish.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Half Life 2

Halo 2

Final Fantasy XI

Lineage II

Guild Wars

Virtua Fighter (up until 5)

Ridge Racer

Tomb Raider
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Final Fantasy 7!!

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:16 pm

This topic pops up alot, but I love bitching so here goes

Metal Gear Solid PS1 - Everyone loved it, and I wanted too as well, just be be one of the gang, but man, hidding in cupboards when you want to get out there and spray bullets is hard work. I might give it another look tho, as I've never like the Metal Gear series, but it's been years since I tried any of them, even NES ports

Castle Of Illusion MD -Yeah, it looks okay, but man, it's not that great, and imo Quackshot takes a p*ss on it, and is a far better game

Halo - Even online don't stop me from not really getting it. I'm not a massive fps fan, but I love Half Life, F.E.A.R and Doom but Halo is just a bit souless.

Grand Theft Auto V - The missions are SO F*CKIN BORIN :? I've unlocked it all, but man, it just dosnt end, and like Halo it's just souless

...........I'm sure I'll chip in with more later

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:28 pm

I say it everytime this topic comes up, but unlike the game, naming and shaming it never gets boring... Resident Evil

I would echo GTAIV too. Dullsville.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:33 pm

It would appear the only correct post so far is mine, and of cause Halo. Which was indeed bobbins.

Ridge Racer? Half Life 2? Resident Evil? Any more wrongness and surely the internet will implode. ;)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:35 pm

will2097 wrote:It would appear the only correct post so far is mine, and of cause Halo. Which was indeed bobbins.

Ridge Racer? Half Life 2? Resident Evil? Any more wrongness and surely the internet will implode. ;)
Why don't you make a thread about all the correct games that are overrated then and we'll close this one?

:roll:
Logged out 15/07/2014.