Wii Homebrew

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Freestyler

Re: Wii Homebrew

Post by Freestyler » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:39 am

Romulous wrote:It would appear that Nintendo have released another firmware update which kills off all homebrew, although the firmware is still logged as id has not changed from 4.3.
I also think their ultimate plan (if 4.3 is any indication) is to block NAND backups and restores too, thus bricking your Wii for good.
As it is it's already apparently hellishly difficult to "Virginise" your 4.3 now so you can downgrade your Firmware.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:56 am

Just thought I'd bump this old topic to let you guys know Snes9x GX has just been updated to the latest Snes9x core which means Earthworm Jim 2 works again! and this time with the much improved sound support that was incorporated a while back. That's really good news as Earthworm Jim has some great music and it sounds fantastic on Wii. I think there may be a few more updates coming as it seems that my rom list is having a few probs so it may be a bug. Also FCE Ultra GX has been updated to the latest core too, but not sure what improvements that brings.

All you have to do is boot the emulators and they update automatically as you probably already know.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 am

I've yet to try the new versions mate, do they have any of the new HD shaders that have
Been incorporated into the ps3 versions?
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:43 am

C=Style wrote:I think there may be a few more updates coming as it seems that my rom list is having a few probs so it may be a bug
Mine too, I tried playing Starfox 2 earlier and it loaded Speed Racer :? good thing I backed up the old version before updating :wink:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:15 am

Romulous wrote:I've yet to try the new versions mate, do they have any of the new HD shaders that have
Been incorporated into the ps3 versions?
No I don't think so mate, why they haven't added at least a scanline filter for HDTV users is beyond me though.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 am

The sound in Secret of Mana sounds wrong now, thanks to the update. There's an audible "pop" sound every few seconds. It's definitely ok on the PC. Hmm.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:06 pm

This new release is bugged to hell. Save states aren't even working. Not noticed any probs with the sound but I haven't played Secret of Mana. Earthworm Jim 2 is superb to have back and NBA Jam Hangtime also works now I've noticed. I've just been playing Phalanx, awesome game. 8)

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Rarely use my wii, even after downloading the capcom coin ops :( Anyway, I thought I would stick mame on to it. Looked into the how to, but still baffled. I have an SD card, A Wii and a pc. Can someone tell me in easy to understand English of what to do ? Advice would be very, very appreciated :?
Nintendo id.....alandd.

van

Post by van » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:06 pm

After I got homebrew working with PCE and NES emulators, I took it offline and bought a second wii (red, mario anniversary).
I didn't want any system updates to break the homebrew.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:19 pm

nemerodius wrote:Rarely use my wii, even after downloading the capcom coin ops :( Anyway, I thought I would stick mame on to it. Looked into the how to, but still baffled. I have an SD card, A Wii and a pc. Can someone tell me in easy to understand English of what to do ? Advice would be very, very appreciated :?
I [personally don't know of any guides but I'm sure someone else might help with that. Good place to visit if you want to do it is Wiihacks.com as they'll help you with all your queries. That's where I went to get help with modding my Wii and the regulars there are very patient and excellent at lending a helping hand if you are confused about something..

Anyway, just thought I'd mention Snes9x GX has been fixed!(I've not checked but I assume FCE Ultra GX has too) It's perfect now, no problems loading or saving savestates, no problems with your ROM list or sub-directories. So it's the same as it was before but only now with the new core which has much better compatibility.

Right I'm off to play Stunt Race FX as I'm properly hooked on this game again.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:58 am

C=Style wrote:Anyway, just thought I'd mention Snes9x GX has been fixed!
Thanks for the heads up, gonna try it tonight

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 am

Im still holding off updating snesgx just incase, its just perfect as it is for me :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:05 am

Cleaned a layer of dust off the wii last Sunday and loaded up some homebrew, amazed at how easy it all was. Managed to get a ton of emulators working, Neo, PCE, Genesis etc. It's absolutely awesome, no need to clog up my lappy drive with roms any more. Not having much luck with N64 games at the moment, some don't load (Rogue Squadron, Bangai-O) and there are some major sound issues (Goldeneye,Perfect Dark). Other than that, it's great.

Is there a way to play imports through the Homebrew channel? Also, I really want to play Kirby's Epic Yarn, will putting a new game in the system block out homebrew? I've disabled wii updates, any help greatly appreciated :)

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:46 am

famicom69 wrote:Is there a way to play imports through the Homebrew channel? Also, I really want to play Kirby's Epic Yarn, will putting a new game in the system block out homebrew? I've disabled wii updates, any help greatly appreciated :)
Yeah just run Gecko through the Homebrew channel, it lets you play import discs & also skips disc updates if activated it in the settings :D
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:30 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:Im still holding off updating snesgx just incase, its just perfect as it is for me :D

That's fair enough, it's been a superb emulator for a long time now. I personally keep 2 builds, the latest version and another one with the old Snes9x core which plays PAL games in 50hz better. Worth it for Putty Squad alone.