Wii Homebrew

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Wii Homebrew

Post by C=Style » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Earlier today I thought I may as well get the Homebrew Channel up and running on the Wii, more out of curiosity but also to enable the ability to run imports (not pirate copies) such as Sin & Punishment 2.

I found that the whole procedure was relatively easy and needed nothing other than about an hour of free time, an SD card and a PC. What struck me as cool was the ability to use 'Homebrew Browser' to download the latest apps and emus direct from the Wii! How very cool indeed.

What's really got me buzzed here though is the emulation. I have to be honest, after being an Xbox owner for so many years I wasn't expecting anything like up to the same standard. I was so surprised what I discovered...

I tried the SNES emulator and realised it ran full speed, that was impressive but the edge it has over even the Xbox version of ZSnexbox is the ability to run at the machines native res, and I have to say it looks absolutely beautiful. the Xbox can only run a set interlaced resolution and no amount of rescaling can bring the sharpness of natural scanlines from a lower resolution. Superb!!

Also tried the Megadrive emu and I have to say, It's most likely the greatset MD emu I;ve come across, better than even Gens in that it runs Thunderforce IV with no sound issues along with many other games which suffered in a similar way. It also allows the native resolution to be applied.

So What other emulators do you guys recommend? I the Dosbox port any good? I see there's a C64 emu but it's based on Frodo and not Vice, so I doubt that will be up to the same quality standard as the Xbox port.

So it appears the Wii is quite a capable little homebrew device after all! Any otehr recommendations? emus, apps etc.

Cheers

Romulous

Re: Wii Homebrew

Post by Romulous » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Wii64 is an excellent N64 emulator, considering it's only had one release so far.

Visualboy Advance for Gameboy, Color etc.

FCE Ultra GX for NES.

SDL MAME is supposed to be quite good, allbeit limited in what it supports, but i can't be arsed to do another MAME rom set build just for the emulator.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:37 pm

The C64 Frodo emu is really VERY good and well worth a download. Have played a fair few games for Retroleague on that! Also - Archer was playing Dropzone on my Wii using Frodo at RetroReunited :mrgreen:

The Speccy Emu is spot on too - and of you can stomach it................................ The Amstrad emu is a piece of pish to use.

Some of the Homebrew stuff is excellent!

But now you have dabbled in this - you will soon fill that poxy card up - so grab yourself an external USB hard drive and use that :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Wow, I need to get me a used Wii. :mrgreen:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:48 am

@ C=Style

You should consider installing bootmii www.bootmii.org and do a dump of your NAND in case you accidentally brick the Wii.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:07 am

C=Style wrote:I found that the whole procedure was relatively easy....
How do you do this then?

I am utterly fed up with waiting for SNES Mario Kart to appear!!

I assume if I do this I wont be able to conect to the internet as it will want to update the firmware?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:35 am

C=Style there's also a perfect PC Engine emulator, a perfect Nes Emulator and a Perfect GBA Emulator that does my fav game Double Dragon Advance.. There's also a Mame emu that does Simpsons, Turtes and cannon Dancer but not much else

You should also get Neo Gamma I believe which allows you to plays Japanese Wii and Gamecube games.. I will pm you a link to a site when I get home.. All my Jap Gamecube games work perfectly and Sin and Punishment 2 is fab by the way when you can get past the graphics
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks for all your tips and recommendations so far guys.

Will definitely look into getting a HDD as I'm only using a 4GB SDHC atm. Having said that I only really want to use his for the SNES, MD, NES lol maybe a few more things than I thought.

As or doing it I just jumped from website to website finding help so I cannot offer a precise guide, but I did get the whole thing done in a matter of 10 mins from visiting this site.

Romulous is there a high chance of bricking the Wii?? I have read that you should only use trusted wads.

Can anyone tell me the name of the application so I can run import games on the Wii please?

Overll though guys, yeah get it done, the emulation is fantastic, and I've since learned that there are some seriously wicked 4in1 adapters out there that allow you to use N64, MD, NES and SNES pads.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:41 am

Shinobi wrote:C=Style there's also a perfect PC Engine emulator, a perfect Nes Emulator and a Perfect GBA Emulator that does my fav game Double Dragon Advance.. There's also a Mame emu that does Simpsons, Turtes and cannon Dancer but not much else

You should also get Neo Gamma I believe which allows you to plays Japanese Wii and Gamecube games.. I will pm you a link to a site when I get home.. All my Jap Gamecube games work perfectly and Sin and Punishment 2 is fab by the way when you can get past the graphics
Thanks mate! I did try a GBA emulator (maybe not the same one you're talking about) last night but it was well choppy and to me unless emulation is full speed I don't tend to bother with it.

Definitely interested in the PCE emulator though.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 am

Bub&Bob wrote: I assume if I do this I wont be able to conect to the internet as it will want to update the firmware?
I think so long as you have 4.2 installed and you take it from there you can access all the usual functions. I can still buy stuff from the store, surf the net, watch IPlayer etc. Nothing has changed otehr than a rather beautiful Homebrew Channel sitting on the main screen. :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:56 am

The next firmware update will probably get rid of the homebrew channel again. Hackers are pretty quick to create new work arounds. Being able to play imports is dead handy, I'm still holding out on S&P2 getting a Euro release else that will be the next game I import.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:06 am

I updated at the weekend :(
I hope I can still set up the homebrew channel
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 am

You can mate, I was at 4.2E as well, just follow the link I gave up there ^

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:30 am

C=Style wrote:You can mate, I was at 4.2E as well, just follow the link I gave up there ^
I will - hope I don't brick it!

Ive got an 8mb SD - I assume I can use this as its in the Wii at the mo with some wii ware on it

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:49 am

C=Style wrote:I tried the SNES emulator.....Also tried the Megadrive emu
Which ones?
Looking on http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/ there are a few!

So, looking at the instructions:

Download abd6a_v200.zip and unzip it onto the SD card.
So, when I unzipped this it created a folder on the root of my card called Private

Go download the HackMii installer. Copy installer.elf to the root of the SD card, and rename it to boot.elf.
When I unzipped this it created a folder on the root of my card called hackmii_installer_v0.6. Do I go into this folder and copy the boot.elf file back to the root and leave this folder (along with the one above) at the root of the SD?

Sorry to sound like a fool - I know this looks simple enough!!