The Best Final Fantasy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

The Best Final Fantasy

Post by Rayne » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:46 am

Had a quick looksie in the search & popular threads, probably been done a bajillion times, so I apologise in advance.

Just cureous as to what everyone's favorite Final Fantasy game is? And the reasons? Or maybe you don't like the series?

Personally my favorite is VIII, I felt it had the best setting & characters and most interesting story

speedlolita

Re: The Best Final Fantasy

Post by speedlolita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:53 am

8 for the reasons you listed.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 am

Hard question. It's between VI and VII, both in terms of characters, setting and gameplay. I also like X despite some very cheesy moments.

VIII has a really good setting, too, but I never got into the junction and draw system. Just felt off for me...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 am

Tactics

Its the only one that didnt bore the hell outa me

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:05 am

THERE IS NO FINAL FANTASY THAT CAN SUPASS THIS MASTERPIECE

although...

It was rather good wasn't it!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:09 am

VIII without shadow of a doubt. When I think about it I've actually spent a lot of time playing FF games, played through the vast majority of 5/6/7/8/10 and have to say that 8 blows the rest out of the water. It's a JRPG I truly love, in fact one of the only ones (except maybe Grandia). Everything about it from the story and characters to the incredible music is just perfect.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:22 am

Lol :lol:

I fully appriciated FFVII but the graphics are now so archaic, it is fairly difficult to play (for me at least). If they were to FINALLY decide to remake it on PS3 then it'd probably be the fastest selling FF of all time.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:50 am

I spent years getting 100% of everything on both FF8 and FF7..

I am unsure which had more of my time... but where I can enjoy FF8, FF7 is a way more...

c'mon... materia mastering.... the choco-bo breading and racing... the materia quests... losing Aeris Gainsborough... .... *sniff*... just taking a moment.... *sniff* ... there we go... ... just somthing in my eye.....

FF8 was indeed a truely awesome game, but it didn't have the gabbing power of "Calamity from the Skys" or the insane marvel that is Sepheroph.. instead of that.... they had nursey.. *ahem I mean Matron... whom then became the sourceress ... against her will... blah blah... and your Balam Garden floated (which was cool) but it turns out that the head of Balam gardens was getting on with Nursey.. *ahem* I mean matron err sourceress... ahh crap...

FF8... the only thing missing was Jeremey Kyle..... Still was an epically good game though!!!

However for me atleast... FF7 had more depth to its characters and I think more playable characters over all. they were manga cute too... who wouldn't want a cat saith plushy?

Although with FF8, Rinoa's Limmit break cracked me up.... "Angelo Anal Rocket Cannon"... well thats what I called it... and yes... I was also crass and refered to quistis as quis-tits... which are very perky I made add....

damnt... there both incredibly great games... of epic proportions...

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:01 am

FF7 is the only RPG I've played almost to the end (I only had to beat the Weapons iirc, it was 10 years ago), couldn't really get into FF8 and not bothered with any others.

FF7 is tEh awesome!!
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:17 am

Never played one. I could never get my head around turn based RPG's. When it comes to battles I havent a clue what a limit break, phoenix mcguffin is.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some epic gaming, but I just dont get it.

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 am

ismellicecream wrote:Never played one. I could never get my head around turn based RPG's. When it comes to battles I havent a clue what a limit break, phoenix mcguffin is.

Ditto!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:26 am

7-9 my faves :D

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:39 am

Dam wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:Never played one. I could never get my head around turn based RPG's. When it comes to battles I havent a clue what a limit break, phoenix mcguffin is.

Ditto!
Same but with stupid random battle pissing me off!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:46 am

I'd say VII was the best by a good long way, followed closely by IX. VIII was brilliant, but blighted by the Junction system - drawing magic was a pain in the backside. VI is a great game too. X annoyed me greatly. XII was pretty good, but the story bored the pants off me.

Tactics, Tactics Advance and Advance 2 are also bloody brilliant.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:48 am

I've only played IV & VII, but absolutely loved them. Of the two VII was obviously the best.

I'm really enjoying Crisis Core, but the difficulty's just spiked a wee bit, I think I should have completed more side quests before setting off for Nibelheim.

Has anyone played the PSP remakes of I & II - are they worth getting?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue