Dragon Age Origins

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Dragon Age Origins

Post by crusto » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:28 pm

Anyone played this yet?

After finally giving up on getting baldurs gate to work on windows 7 I bought it yesterday on the advice of a staff member in blockbuster games. So far so good imo, Im liking what im playing.

One slight concern atm is that it seems a bit linear compared to say - oblivion. But im hoping thats just because its still early doors. Does it stay this way?

Eat your nans pants

Havantgottaclue

Re: Dragon Age Origins

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm probably going to pick this one up after I've finished Assassin's Creed II. Think this'll be my game for the Christmas hols.

I'd be expecting something sort of Mass Effect-ish, albeit traditional dungeons and dragons instead of space opera. Loved Mass Effect though, so Dragon Age: Origins should tide me over until ME2.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:06 pm

I've been thinking of picking this game upfor awhile now. From what i've read its not as free as The Elder Scrolls series, and i really don't expect it to be half as good as Oblivion or Morrowind. But nontheless it looks like a nice RPG:ish game, along the lines of Neverwinter Nights, which i've played the crap out of, both games. =)
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:25 am

I loved Jade Empire but hated Mass Effect, so I'm hoping Dragon Age will be somewhere in between the two games :)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Mini potted review please! I have my eye on this one too.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Machine+Soul

Post by Machine+Soul » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Have to say got this game on release day and it surpassed all my expectations.

Better than Mass Effect in many ways. While it isn't as free as Oblivion or morrowind it is much more open than mass effect which bodes well for its sequel.

Great story, great gameplay, very challenging. A few bugs (playing xbox 360 version) but overall very good.

Would give it a 9 out of 10

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:37 pm

It takes a few hours to get past the linear bits but once you do it opens up into a huge world.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Ive managed to get bg to work now as well! I think im gonna have to give up gaming. I just havent got the time needed to invest in to these games.

Eat your nans pants

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:25 pm

I picked this one up for £23 from Amazon at the end of last week - obviously a time-limited offer as it's now back up to £35. So, pretty chuffed with that.

Literally only played in for an hour or two last night, and the start of the game sets things up very nicely indeed. Quite a bit of dialogue to work through but it's quite engaging and overall a promising start.

Lovers of graphical panache need not apply though. I assume detail has been sacrificed for greater breadth, and there's quite a lot of tearing, as there was with Mass Effect, IIRC. Hope they're working on that engine for ME2.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:20 am

After finally putting modern warfare 2 down for the first time in ages I played on it a bit more last night and before I knew it it was 4.30 am! I'm really getting in to it now. Absoloutely superb so far. Baldurs gate is back on the back seat for now im afraid. Will I ever get to play it through?

Eat your nans pants

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:33 am

just started playing this,

not reading any guides yet in case they contain spoilers, but what are the best skills etc to invest in, don't want to get 10 hours in and find I've built a character who will be useless later in the game!

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:39 am

Been years since I played it but with the characters you can get to support you I don't really recall a part when I wished I had done a different build, I do remember that it got quite hard near the end and I had to change the difficulty for the final boss as just couldn't do it.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:58 am

Only thing that sticks out is the need to get the lockpick skill for one of your party since you can't open locked chests without it (albeit opening chests is (usually?) optional.

There's a couple of skill combos in the game, such as freezing enemies, then shattering them, but can't remember the mage/warrior etc skill combos specifically.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:22 am

about 20% done now and really enjoying it

it's hard in places though, playing through on normal difficulty and had a few battles where I kept getting completely wiped out, had to lower the level just to get past

feel that my weapons are underpowered and my defences not strong enough, and the other problem is that it becomes even harder when your teammates get themselves killed quickly.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:59 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:about 20% done now and really enjoying it

it's hard in places though, playing through on normal difficulty and had a few battles where I kept getting completely wiped out, had to lower the level just to get past

feel that my weapons are underpowered and my defences not strong enough, and the other problem is that it becomes even harder when your teammates get themselves killed quickly.
I played it on normal for a fair bit but found it got quite tough. I dropped it to easy for the rest of the game and it was a much better experience, it still got a bit hairy late game but nothing too bad. This is one of my favourite RPGs ever. Do you have any of the expansions? Most of them are fairly short, a couple are average a couple good. The best by far and a must play is Awakenings it adds a lot to the story and is very meaty :)

I think my game clock ended up around 90 hours for the lot.