*NEW* How much money spent and how many hours a week played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sscott

*NEW* How much money spent and how many hours a week played

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:12 pm

I know there are previous threads on this but I wanted to start afresh.
Speaking to Steve (Felgekarp) around my house yesterday about money I spend. Wanted to give specifics.
On average I spend approximately £100-£150 a monthy on new games, never trade, never sell. 80% of that is spent in shops in town, the other is through ebay/amazon. On payday I always spend about £50 on the day, retro or a couple of newish games that were £40 three months ago and are now half price or so.

I play games (on average) twice a week (2hr sessions approx. each) and 3-4 hours across the weekend. Rest of the time is spent with wife/kids, work at home etc...

I've often thought that people have underestimated how much they spend in the past (rightly or wrongly) hence the new thread.

Do you actually know much time you spend/play a week. I'm guessing as a general rule its underestimated.

Thoughts?

Rinoa

Re: *NEW* How much money spent and how many hours a week played

Post by Rinoa » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 pm

It varies for me every month. I don't have a set amount of money to spend on games/consoles so I just spend whenever I fancy something. I'd say I probably average between £100-£200 per month. Could be totally wrong though.

I also used to spent a lot of time playing games per week. I'd play 30 hours+ but the last couple of months it's dropped considerably as I've been busy. I'd say I'm probably getting about 10-15 hours gaming time at the moment.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:33 pm

It varies from month to month, this last month having picked up stuff like DJ Hero and COD6 I'll have spent well over 100 sheets on games, probably nearer 200, also used to spend round about 100 sheets a month on comics but I've cut that back a bit, although I wouldn't say by much. I usually try and get a couple of hours a day in playing games.
Splink!

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:11 pm

buy at least one new game a month....sometimes one a week so between 40 and 160 pounds.

playtime can vary wildly tho...there is no average for me. if i have the house to myself and am in the mood I could sit there 10+ hours straight, or it could be a week before I even feel like playing anything.

have been on alot lately tho thanks to MW2....

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Spending wise, i'm probably on about 100-200 a month as well, although thats coming down drastically, now that other things are becoming more important. Most of that will be on retro stuff, although a good chunk will be on new stuff as well. I do trade in though if a game doesnt take my fancy (very short attention span for games I dont like), and as it's usually quite soon after launch I tend to not lose a lot when i do. Only one retro shopping trip a month and i'll usually spend the bulk of the money I can spend on that trip.

Playing wise, it does vary, but probably between 2-4 hours a night, every night, usually after the girlfriend is asleep. Doesnt vary much on the weekends either. All in all probably 14-28 hours a week, 75% of which is on new stuff, and the rest retro. It's a lot less than I have in the past, when single It was pretty much from 6-2 every night I was home (usually 4 days a week), and then most of my weekends.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:43 pm

I buy 95% of my stuff online and my spending is down to what becomes available. This time last year my spending was close to £0/month but this weekend I spent over £400 :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:50 pm

No set spending - just depends which new games I've pre-ordered and get charged for (very few admittedly - much prefer older stuff) plus whatever I've found on ebay. I usually spend far more when I've bought a new console as I try and get myself an initial batch of games to play on it (my 3DO recently for example).

Overall though, it does depend on how much time I've wasted trawling ebay since I'll find more stuff I want if I lounge in front of the screen, searching for various things.

Play time isn't as much as it used to be tbh - not since I got a job anyway.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:55 pm

I virtually never buy new product. It's just not worth it. £40 today or £10 in three months time? Ker-ching!!!
Last thing I bought was the funky THQ Complete Pack off Steam yesterday. £209.82 worth of games for £26.49? Ker-ching!!! Yes please!

Those babies will keep me in clover until the next set of games I want (Batman:AA, Wolverine, Dragon Age etc) are all on sale for a fifth what their release price was.

Average games per month spend: £20
Average playing time per week: 15 hours.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Varies a lot, but I probably only average 5 or so hours a week, infact I probably spend more time buying games and reading about games than I actually do playing them!

As for money, probably around £50 in average month, I don't own a current gen console and I'm trying to cut out the online purchases, there is stuff I want, but I have plenty of games I've never even played. I'm now just mainly adding to my collection the things I find local and cheap.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:10 pm

It depends on what day it is really, but I'd say I spend at least 2 hours a day playing, and I usually spend about €100 on games every month... but I should really start counting how many hours I put in every week, I'm quite curious! :D
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Its completely dependent on what i find to buy.....rarely buy games for the Wii so all of my money is spent on retro...

can be as little as a fiver a week or, like this coming week, about.....£150
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:47 pm

It varies wildly, but I rarely spend as much as £40 in a month now. In the past up to £100 a month was common, especially when I went on my Dreamcast binge.

In the last year I've cut back hugely, as I finally started organising things and realised just how big my backlog is. I've only bought a couple of games this month and have finally got the bottle to start selling stuff I won't play again or have dupes of. Mostly I'm only buying very cheap pre-owned (a fiver or less) and charity shop stuff - that's satiating the new game desire without the associated costs of chasing particular items.

PLay time is varying a bit too, I'm getting more in just now as Mrs Ant has been working late, so I'm managing 3 evenings of gaming for a couple of hours each. Throw in extra gaming as I bought a new laptop, and my gaming time has increased despite my decreased purchases.

I reckon I'll continue in this vein for the next year at least, as I need all my spare cash for my holiday at the tail end of 2010.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Nowhere near as much or as many as I'd like. Very rarely have the money to buy games these days, and hardly any time to play them. :(

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:55 pm

I probably spend about an hour a day gaming. Depends whats going on, what I have to do...sometimes its 3 hours or so currently due to unemployment.

What I spend on games depends on how much money I have. Literally spent £3 on games (games themselves were free, just postage) since september due to being on the dole. Haven't had a decent income since I left home 3 1/2 years ago so spending has been bits here and there, usually after student loan was in. I've probably only spent a couple of hundred on games in the past couple of years though after savings from before uni dried up. Shouldn't think i'll be spending much on games for a year or so yet due to grand and a half overdraft that needs to be paid back in 6 months time and debts owed to various other people + institutions. I do appreciate emulation much more now though at least!

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:42 pm

It really varies. Last month I spent £20, this month I spent close to £200. Although I usually don't go over that when it comes to games, as I tend to spend most of my money on movies.

As to play time, I usually play 14-28 hours a week. About 70% attention goes to modern stuff, the rest to retro thingies.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.