ps2 collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

James A

Re: ps2 collecting

Post by James A » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Megamixer wrote:
nakamura wrote:I'm lucky with my PS2. I has a DSM4 modchip which is pretty much the best the machine has for it. I had no idea, I just paid to have it done years ago. Only this week I found it has a menu that allows PAL games to be run at 60hz! Works pretty well too.
Jealous :(

I never knew anybody who could do the job or where to go and these days, it seems even more impossible. If a chipped machine comes up on ebay (or any console with even the faintest clues that his has been tampered with), bidders go crazy on them.

When it comes to getting a Japanese console, I'm still undecided: Slimline or Phat? I'd prefer the phat model but I've had problems with PAL machines starting to scratch discs over time and would rather avoid that if possible. Never owned a Slim though so I have no idea if those have any common faults.
Im still after a modded multi region slim line machine although now im thinking i might just go for the disc swap method or if i ever pick one up cheap at the carboots have a go at soldiering it in myself. I have a Fat NTSC machine but even with my new games room i don't have the room to have it all set up :(

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Free MCboot is even easier, granted you'll need to make backup copies of any imports you buy, basically make a ISO image of your import, ESR patch it and chuck it in your PS2 and it'll run, the tricky bit is getting Free MCboot onto your memory card, the only other thing is CD based games have to be converted to DVD to work with ESR.. not as complicated as it sounds and it sure beats messing around swapping discs..

You can also then stick a program on your memory card called GSM video selector that allows you to set the video output of near enough any game, Killzone.. normally blurry and dark? not now at 480p.. its actually playable... but still very brown :lol:

Also you can install OpenPS2Loader to your MC.. its not 100% compatible with all games, but it allows you to play games from a network shared folder on your PC, or from USB or HDD, you get a nice little list of games with covers etc.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c824fkSyRj4

@Nakamura... try playing the PAL version of Timesplitters in 60hz.. its one of the few PAL games that are optimised and at 60hz it's a little bit too fast, your normal pistol suddenly becomes a uzi :lol:

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Megamixer wrote:
nakamura wrote:Played a fair bit of it and it is another fine game. I think by the time it hit people were a bit tired of the formula as it really was nothing new.
To be fair, I haven't played a lot of the Burnout series before so it's not as stale to me. I've played Burnout 2 before and the one thing I'll say against Dominator is that it doesn't have the Crash Junctions mode :(
I still think Burnout 3 Takedown is still the best of the series, even prefered it to Paradise.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:27 pm

I have a phat Messiah chipped PS2 with a built in hard drive 8) best thing about the messiah chip it plays PS1 games so I can finally play my copy of Time Gal again..

Gamestation and the charity shops are better then ever for obscure PS2 games for cheap at the moment
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Just a quick one guys. Anyone have any idea if there's a UK copy of the Wild Arms 5 Collectors version in the cardboard box? Only seen some French ones so far.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Can someone please point me toward any sites (or whatever) to get my PAL PS2 playing NTSC as I've seen a few Japanese region games that I fancy the look of.
I think I'd prefer softmodding as I'm not too great to soldering really small electrical stuff.

Thankyou!

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Picked up Metal Slug 3 for the collection from a carboot yesterday. Will be good playing it on a big screen after going through it on the PSP

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:36 pm

CIH wrote:Can someone please point me toward any sites (or whatever) to get my PAL PS2 playing NTSC as I've seen a few Japanese region games that I fancy the look of.
I think I'd prefer softmodding as I'm not too great to soldering really small electrical stuff.

Thankyou!
Speedlolita is your man.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Why is it so hard for me to part with my PS2 games?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 am

Because you know that you will be buying them back at some point. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:04 am

Theres loads of arcade games, the PS2 is awesome for arcade compalations

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Here's my PS2 collection as it stands:

1945 I & II: The Arcade Games
Activision Anthology
auto modellista
Black
Bomberman Hardball
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Bully
Burnout 3: Takedown
Capcom Classics Collection
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
Dynasty Warriors 4
EyeToy: Play
FIFA Soccer 07
FIFA Soccer 2004
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
From Russia with Love
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
Godzilla: Save the Earth
Gradius V
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Gran Turismo 4
Guilty Gear X
GUN
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (Special Edition)
Headhunter
Headhunter: Redemption
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
ICO
Incredibles, The
I-Ninja
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Killzone
King of Fighters 2000-2001, The
Masters of the Universe: He-Man: Defender of Grayskull
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Midway Arcade Treasures
Midway Arcade Treasures 2
Ōkami
Oni
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
Operative: No One Lives Forever, The
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Rampage: Total Destruction
Ratchet & Clank
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Red Dead Revolver
Red Faction II
Reservoir Dogs
Ridge Racer V
R-Type Final
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silent Scope
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Riders
Sopranos: Road to Respect, The
SoulCalibur II
SoulCalibur III
SpyHunter
Star Trek: Encounters
Star Wars: Starfighter
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom
Taito Legends
Taito Legends 2
Tekken TAG Tournament
Tengai Makyō II: Manjimaru
Thing, The
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Time Crisis II
Turok: Evolution
Virtua Cop: Elite Edition
WinBack: Covert Operations
Yakuza
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

88 games altogether.

I was never really into the PS2 back in the day. I remember actually ordering mine, only to discover the boat had sunk or was on fire or something and my console didn't arrive for months. In the mean time, I had picked up a Gamecube, which I instantly loved and played to death. When the PS2 did eventually turn up, it just sort of sat unplayed.

Anyway, a year or so ago, I decided to start taking advantage of the oodles of cheap games. They were in every game store and charity shop and I guess I went a little wild. I went from a collection of maybe 10 or so games, to the current 88 in a few months. At this point though, I'm kind of stumped on where to go next with it. I've managed to complete a few "sets" of games. Maybe I should complete a few more of those? I was thinking the Jak and Daxter games?

Am I missing any major franchises?
DPrinny wrote:Theres loads of arcade games, the PS2 is awesome for arcade compalations
Yeah, I've got quite a few of those and they're brilliant. I need to pick up the other Capcom Classic Collections though,
SexyWayne wrote:Free MCboot is even easier, granted you'll need to make backup copies of any imports you buy, basically make a ISO image of your import, ESR patch it and chuck it in your PS2 and it'll run, the tricky bit is getting Free MCboot onto your memory card, the only other thing is CD based games have to be converted to DVD to work with ESR.. not as complicated as it sounds and it sure beats messing around swapping discs..

You can also then stick a program on your memory card called GSM video selector that allows you to set the video output of near enough any game, Killzone.. normally blurry and dark? not now at 480p.. its actually playable... but still very brown :lol:

Also you can install OpenPS2Loader to your MC.. its not 100% compatible with all games, but it allows you to play games from a network shared folder on your PC, or from USB or HDD, you get a nice little list of games with covers etc.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c824fkSyRj4
I did this a few weeks ago, installed Free MCboot. I'm not planning on importing, just thinking ahead. I have the PS2 "phat" and I guess the DVD drive in it won't last forever, so I'm saving wear and tear on it by installing everything to HDD. I'm using HDLoader to install the games and then OpenPS2Loader to run them. It seems to work ok, but I haven't tried every game. Is this the right way to go?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm

theantmeister wrote: I did this a few weeks ago, installed Free MCboot. I'm not planning on importing, just thinking ahead. I have the PS2 "phat" and I guess the DVD drive in it won't last forever, so I'm saving wear and tear on it by installing everything to HDD. I'm using HDLoader to install the games and then OpenPS2Loader to run them. It seems to work ok, but I haven't tried every game. Is this the right way to go?
Pretty much what I plan to do eventually.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 am

a bit off topic but i've been playing the ps2 a bit recently on a 40'' lcd with rgb leads and i have noticed that the whole screen isn't filled,there is a black strip down the right hand side but i am not missing anything hud wise so it's not a problem i'm just wondering if this is normal.

the tv is displaying in 576i for 50hz and 480i for 60hz games and it's a pal ps2 and games and i've tried it in full and 16:9 settings.can anyone explain what's happening please?
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 am

A recent arrival,

I've had the regular version of this since release but I had to pick this up recently just because I've never seen it before:

Gradius V Promo Version (PAL)