Chase HQ Cabinet restorulation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retromax

Re: Chase HQ Cabinet restorulation

Post by retromax » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:24 am

Doddsy wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:This thread rules! I love Chase HQ, and not just because it's one of the few games I can complete in the arcade on a single credit! :P
Great game and one of the few arcade titles I completed. I found some cabs let you spin the wheel and thats the one that I finished it on the other type has a steering lock after turning so far.
They are not meant to spin 360 If the wheel just spins on a ChaseHQ cab there is a small part broken :wink:
Easy-ish fix though.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

retromax

Post by retromax » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 am

Just completed it about 30 mins ago..... cost me 80p :lol: ..... 4 credits :(
But............ at least i'm the one that empties the coin box :wink:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

retromax

Post by retromax » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Something's been slightlly bothering me since I installed the tv, as it was set up in the Catalyst control panel as a Pal Tv when the attract mode scrolled text it was sort of juddery (like an NTSC DVD playing Back at PAL framerate..... so I changed it to NTSC output which cured the juddering but it caused pretty bad Dot Crawl so I changed it back. Even outputting PAL over composite video you get dot crawl but not as bad so I left it like that as the s-video route wasn't an option as you can't switch the video signal to s-video like you can composite (or RGB) via 12v on the scart socket and I didn't want to be using a TV remote when I turned on the cabinet.
Anyway today I changed it back to NTSC and tried something different, In the Catalyst control panel (yes its an ATI card) I looked what happend when I de-saturated the picture.... the dot crawl dissapeared too as well as the colour. So what I did was to lower the saturation way down to remove the dot crawl............. then turn up the colour on the TV....... NO MORE DOT CRAWL
And no more juddery scrolling text!!.
Some people may think this wouldn't be a good solution...... but it's working great now!!

BTW I wasn't goin to do another VGA to scart lead and mess around with soft 15khz... besides.. the results are great.

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Well I had 384mb of DDR PC2700 333mhz memory in the cab which i've just swapped for 512mb DDR3200 400mhz (that I found in a box) and now the cab boots in 37 seconds instead of 44..... I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to DDR as I knew what I was doing with PC100/133 SDram, anyway it seems to be working better.
I had the odd sound glitch that seems to have gone now.

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Thought i'd just add a recent photo of the finished cab.......obviousley finished a while ago...

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:31 am

That is one awesome restoration. It looks brand new!

Have you ever considered coming to one of the Retro Events? I'm sure people would love to see (and play on) your cab.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

retromax

Post by retromax » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:49 am

pforson wrote:That is one awesome restoration. It looks brand new!

Have you ever considered coming to one of the Retro Events? I'm sure people would love to see (and play on) your cab.
Thanks :D Close up it doesn't look brand new but it is in very good condition, I was hoping to have gone to r3play but couldn't :( ..... still I wouldn't have been taking any of my machines anywhere though as any knocks or scrapes they have are due to them being moved about over their lifetime......... besides.... they are bloody heavy :lol:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:49 am

A thing of pure beauty, you should indeed be very proud of it. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

retromax

Post by retromax » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:52 am

the_hawk wrote:A thing of pure beauty, you should indeed be very proud of it. :D
Thank you I am :D ..... even more so because of what I have personally achieved with the way I did it.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm

One of the finest topics I have read for some time.

This is a superb job and even though it got very technical, it was a joy to read and see that you overcame all of your problems in a frugal and sensible way

you should be very proud and this kind of article should feature regularly in the magazine.

i would love to read of any other restorations including how to get old or damaged computers and consoles up and running again

even how to mod machines.....

i know its all on the net, but to see it in themag would be a great addition

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:41 am

That cab is awesome :shock:

Plus, Chase HQ is one of the few arcade games I can 'one credit' :P

thl

Post by thl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:46 am

You done a really great job with this arcade cabinet restoration. Well done. :)

Plus it looked immaculate after seeing those photos.

retromax

Post by retromax » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:02 pm

I was out messing with this today, I robbed my VGA to RGB Scart cable from my Xenon cab and decided to get rid of the composite TV-Out I was using for ChaseHQ and use Soft 15khz and RGB, RGB can't be selected on the TV so I was hoping it was available so here's what I did.
I connected 5V from the ATX power supply to the blanking signal on the Scart (pin 16) and the same 12V i'd already had to pin 8 that selects AV mode.... installed soft 15khz powered it up and voila!!! RGB Scart selected as the pc switched on, made a few adjustments in the TV service menu and jobs a good un'.... now i'd better make up another VGA - Scart lead for the Xenon before the weather warms back up (no time soon then).