Chase HQ Cabinet restorulation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retromax

Chase HQ Cabinet restorulation

Post by retromax » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:26 pm

Over the last month i've been restoring & converting an old Electrocoin "Taito Chase HQ" cabinet and doing a day by day update over on Jamma+, Chase HQ is a classic game... well IMO :D. The cabinet came from another forum member over on Jamma+ (exchanged it for my Silverline Jamma Cab that's in my Little Arcade thread here), anyway not much left to do now just little bits....
Been playing on the game quite a bit lately and thought i'd share it on here too!

It's been fun and also a pain sometimes!... but it's all worth it now!
Last edited by retromax on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Stuart_c

Re: Chase HQ Cabinet restorulation

Post by Stuart_c » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Aww censored, only members can see it :( I love these restoration threads too.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:23 am

Stuart_c wrote:Aww censored, only members can see it :( I love these restoration threads too.
mmm.... didn't realize that :? , anyway Jamma+ is a great forum too.. I'll see if I can copy some of my stuff over to here!.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:57 am

Right so it was an empty cabinet when I got it but it does have a board (just has too many things wrong with it!)
The shifter was very loose as the spring that holds it in position was broken, obviousley no monitor too as I planned on using a 19" PC monitor.

The Marquee glass was just packed up still at the time I took the picture.

Prior to getting the cabinet I had been building a system to run MAME and just the one Game, the controls would be done via a gameport hack (for the analogue steerin) and a keyboard hack as you can only wire 4 buttons to the gameport and I needed six. My idea was to hide the Windows shell by booting straight into MAME and the Chase HQ rom via a batch file, I aquired a 19" VGA monitor off freecycle :) and removed the plastic surround. Then I cut a piece of mdf to the same size as the board that originally held the arcade monitor in place, I cut out a hole in the board the same size as my vga tube and mounted it into it.

The metal work on the cab was quite rusty so I started out by removing the pedal.

Then after using an angle grinder with a wire brush attached it looked like this
(no more rust!!)
and a few coats of paint later
Last edited by retromax on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:07 am

Hey , that's fantastic , thanks for sharing!

Wish I was mechanically minded like that :(
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:22 am

So after that I decided to try the monitor out for size, it's slightley bigger at the back and sticks out more than the original so I will be modifying the back of the cabinet a bit by shortening the hight of the back door and building a new protective cover over the exposed bit. The rubber matting is in suprizingley good condition with no heel wear on it so i've cleaned it up and sprayed it with tyre shine.... looks great!, i've also polished the leather steering wheel with black boot polish and it now looks like new.

So with the marquee back on and the monitor in place...

I straightend out the metal frame that goes around the rubber mat and got rid of the dents that were in it, polished it and fixed it back onto the cabinet using small round-headed brass pins/nails. Also I managed to get rid of that overspray where the mat meets the bottom of the cabinet (under the coin doors) where someone must have once thought it would be a good idea to spray the mat.

I Built a box to protect the back of the monitor, I don't have the plastic cover for it anyway but if I did I couldn't use it. I've been very carfull moving the cabinet back as I didn't want to smash the neck off the monitor!!, anyway since I built this box I moved the monitor futrther forward as it seemed to look too far away, so now the neck doesn't stick out as much as it did i'm going to reduce the depth of the box and then paint it.

Oh I also shortened the hight of the back door (which i've noticed isn't the original one anyway).

So I chopped the depth of that down by about half prior to painting it.

I mounted my system inside the back door so it is at easy access if I need to work on anything.
The system shown in the picture is slightley different as it had a USB gameport hack which failed and a differnet mobo which was swapped back to my original system with a p4 and also a differnt graphics card and sound card (for the gameport)

So seeing as the monitor is in place and the system installed I though i'd power it up to see what it looked like, no controls or anything are wired to the loom yet but I just couldn't wait to see the game running.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:24 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Hey , that's fantastic , thanks for sharing!

Wish I was mechanically minded like that :(
Thanks!!..... It's had it's ups and downs along the way!

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:32 am

The reduced depth of the box
and the pedal re-assembled ready for re-fitting
the pedal back in place
and the back box painted as well as the back door
So with everything wired up besides the patrol lights (which is still ongoing!!) it was time to test it out!

and a video of the testing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtSbQlW6r9w

To be continued......

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:54 am

I'd fixed the spring in the shifter at the begining of tis project (the old spring was in 4 pieces!)
The original button from the shifter was missing and was replaced with this one as a tempory measure
Then I went to maplin and got a better button!
I also polished up the shifter plate and made the bolts look like new :)

The "Taito" badge was missing from the steering wheel so I made a new one

and then I moved the cabinet into position with it's new friends!

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:59 am

The sound was pretty poor with the little amp in my system so I added the subwoofer that was sat in the shed that came out of my "Radikal Bikers" cab.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:03 am

Right, on to the coin doors!

First of all I mended my angle grinder that I broke the other week, my father-in-law had the same model which he'd burnt out and seeing as i'd broken something inside mine and not burnt it out I just swapped over the relivent bits.

So armed with the wire brush on the angle grinder I stripped the coin doors back to the bare metal, to be honest they didn't look too bad but were peeling around the coin return bit but when I started with the wire brush they turned out to be worse than I thought and the pain't flaked off pretty easily. The door frame which isn't made of steel wasn't too bad at all with just the odd chip so I gave it a good clean with some circuit cleaner (i've never actually cleaned any circuits with that stuff I just aquiured it from an electronics place I once worked at) and it does a very good job and cleaned off some sticky gunk that was around the frame at the bottom of each door.

Then I re-sprayed the doors, the frame and the coin return slot.

and then re-assembled and fitted back to the cab :)

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:21 am

If anyone isn't aware of the fact that when you play Chase HQ the patrol lights on the marquee should flash when you catch up to the perps in the game, this was a big problem that I didn't think was possible to re-create with mame.
So what I did was buy two flashing led lamps from a poundshop :D (£2 for 24 led's sounds good to me) and I stripped the boards out of them and wired them into the cab with power coming from the 5v supply on the PSU, then I wired a switch up to both lights that I could turn them on when I turned on the cab which was ok but obviousley the were flashing all the time and in no way worked with the game as they should.

Anyway.......
I downloaded Mamehooker which I had absolutley no idea how to use it but i'd been looking into it for about a week and found that when I ran it it created a .ini file in the mamehook's ini file folder called chase hq, in that ini file was Lamp0= and Lamp1= and I also noticed in a little box that I brought up while the game was running and in "Pursuit" mode it was saying lamp0 0 lamp 1 0 but the zero's were alternating between 0&1 meaning it was outputting data of on and off for the patrol lights!!!!..... First hurdle over!!

Then I found a very very very.... simple wiring diagram for the LPT port which was pins 2-9 were the data pins where i'd connect the postive terminal for the led and pins 18-25 were the ground, so I tested it out with two led's wire to data pins 1&2 + ground..... changed the ini file damn thing worked!!!!!!!!!

Right so here's where i've got with the lights, obviousley the output from the lpt port is very low and can dammage the port if you over power it so I didn't want to do that!.

Thanks to Matt at Maplin in Wakefield i've found the answer!!, he suggested using a transistor on each circuit with the 5v power supply I was going to use with the relays that I was using to power my old lights. I was in Maplin about half an hour and he was really helpfull and drew me a diagram of what I needed to do which was quite simple now I understand how a transistor works. He worked out the values of everything I needed as he suggested my Led's should be paired in two's with a resistor on each and a resistor between the data pin on the lpt port and the input on the transistor.

Anyway..... Here's what I built (2 of them of course) using the led's removed from the £1 lamps!

and the back (with my dodgy wiring!! but at least it works!)
and then wired up into the cab

There is one small issue I have and that's the fact that they don't flash alternate but that's a mamehooker thing that I havn't figured out yet and i'm still looking in to it but at least i've got lights that are comminicating wth the game now!!

Anyway here's another small video of them in action on the cab flashing together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTeJGFYzLo

Stuart_c

Post by Stuart_c » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:47 am

:D exellent,what a great job. That is one lucky kid you got there, i remember dreaming about owning my own arcade cabs when i was his age :lol:

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:03 am

Stuart_c wrote::D exellent,what a great job. That is one lucky kid you got there, i remember dreaming about owning my own arcade cabs when i was his age :lol:
Thanks!
Yep it was my dream too!!!, I had to make do with a Speccy and an Amstrad though!!!
He loves this stuff and has his own minature mame cabinet
But at least I got there in the end!

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:20 am

That's fantastic stuff there mate.

Don't forget to keep us all updated on any future projects.

Incidentally, have you tried posting on the MAMEWorld Cabinet forums to see if someone can help you out with mamehook?
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous