Final Fantasy 8 - Is it worth playing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

devilman

Post by devilman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:46 pm

I used to love Triple Triad but I got annoyed with the load times switching back and forth from the main game to it. I'd hoped to play the PC version to hopefully get shorter loading times but I don't think I got it running correctly on the PC I had at the time.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:15 pm

FF8 was the first one I played, and I liked it. It was a bit annoying that you couldn't skip the long animations when you summoned a big monster though.

Dell_Zincht

Re:

Post by Dell_Zincht » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:16 pm

necronom wrote:FF8 was the first one I played, and I liked it. It was a bit annoying that you couldn't skip the long animations when you summoned a big monster though.
That's because most of the GF's can learn the 'boost' ability. Then it wouldn't make much sense skipping the animation :P

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:21 am

Stop it! You guys are making the game sound intriguing and good. I couldn't get into it and I don't want to be forced to buy it again.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:48 am

Oh, so people like you DO exist? I only thought they were a myth. You know, the people who actually sell their Final Fantasy games.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:50 am

StarEye wrote:Oh, so people like you DO exist? I only thought they were a myth. You know, the people who actually sell their Final Fantasy games.
That's right. I bought a NEW copy of FF VIII and sold it without even getting off disc 1.

How does that make you feel?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Cornelius

Re:

Post by Cornelius » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:12 am

necronom wrote:FF8 was the first one I played, and I liked it. It was a bit annoying that you couldn't skip the long animations when you summoned a big monster though.
True they can be kind of annoying but with FF games that have an ATB system you have a brief timeout to rethink strategies and whatnot.

Dell_Zincht

Re:

Post by Dell_Zincht » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:58 am

revgiblet wrote:Stop it! You guys are making the game sound intriguing and good. I couldn't get into it and I don't want to be forced to buy it again.
When I first bought it, I was still obsessed with VII, so all the changes made me like the game less. I got onto disc 3 and then go bored, and never finished it as a result.

Then, a couple of months ago, I decided to give it another shot, and well, I really enjoyed it, to be honest. It's still nowhere near as good as VII, but you should definitely muster the patience to give it another go.