Final Fantasy 8 - Is it worth playing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

devilman

Post by devilman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:40 pm

I'm not sure how much time I put in before I gave up but it was the part on the fourth disc when you're locked in some building and all your equipment is taken away and you have to gradually win it all back. I just thought it was taking the censored at that point.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:42 pm

Thats pretty much right at the end, kind of like watching the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy and then walking out 5 minutes from the end (Or having to rush to take a censored in my case!!!)

StarEye

Re: Final Fantasy 8 - Is it worth playing

Post by StarEye » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:35 am

Mantas wrote:I had gotten to the final bit where you go down to fight Sephiroth but I kept on getting killed. This was after about 40 hours. So I went back to the underwater ship to level up for about 8-9 hours. Thing is, once you've played a game for so long and you know you're almost finshed it, its pointless to just give up - although I was tempted. I didn't find the game boring, its just the random battles that got to me.
Ok, I see. I agree that having to level up a lot to progress through the story is a real gamebreaker. I'm in the same situation with Dragon Quest VIII for the time being.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:50 am

As far as I'm concerned the only games with random battles worth persevering with are Baldurs Gate,Elite and FFVII
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

devilman

Post by devilman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:50 am

I think the only time that random battles have annoyed the hell out of me would be in one of the Phantasy Star games - the encounter rate was much too high in places.

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:25 am

I liked FF8 but not when I started it. Once I got used to it I found it to be a good game with a good story. I liked the fact you could see the man character charge through out the story and become less of an idiot.

Once you get the hang of the drawing and junctioning and know what high level spells to draw you can make you chars very powerful indeed. Adding death or drain to attacks will either kill you enemy in one hit or drain lots of heath healing your character with each hit.

Each GF has their own actions two - the most usual is a healing ablity that heals to full health.

Doomtrain (I forget the GF) does not hit for much damage but the status effects are crippling for the enemy.
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:05 pm

I remember sitting watching my flatmate playing FFX. Looked decent enough, till he started leveling up with that giant kinda map/maze screen thing. Made the whole thing look really complicated. Still hjave a save file of his on my memory card, 118hours and counting. My save file was 35mins for the same game. :D
Last edited by Elgin_McQueen on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:45 pm

I liked Final Fantasy X but found it highly annoying if you were only narrowly beaten by certain bosses (which I was a few times) and then had to sit through lenghty unskippable cut scenes full of laughable voice acting (particularly for Seymour) in order to fight them again. Don't Squaresoft realise that people have lives in the real world to get on with too? I'm not saying that the games should be any less 'epic' but they should at least be user friendly.

Danny

Post by Danny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:00 am

The only good thing about ff8 is tripple traid in my opinion!

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:57 am

I played and enjoyed FF7 , but then came FF8 which I loathed.
The story wasnt gripping at all , didnt like the characters either.
dull dull , dont waste £30 on it , buy a Snes instead with a pile of games.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Kai wrote:Final Fantasy VIII is the best in the series. Period.
I agree.
I'm in a minority, but I agree...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:34 pm

FF VIII isn't even worthy to lick the scum from the toes of FF IX, let alone VII.

If you've got a spare 80 hours then play another decent PS1 RPG - such as the under-rated Breath of Fire IV.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:14 am

out of the playstation 1 series I've only played VII. I'd love to try IX though. I'll get around to VIII :)

Dell_Zincht

Post by Dell_Zincht » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:01 pm

Final Fantasy VII is the most user friendly of the series, without a doubt.

Final Fantasy VIII takes a LOT of patience, especially with the junctioning system. There is an auto-junction feature, but you'll get better results if you take the time to do it manually.

As for random battles, in 8 it's not a problem. Just equip Diablos's Enc-None ability. You don't need to level up in the game AT ALL, and only need to fight enemies to draw from them, so keep taking off Enc-None as and when you need to stock up.

The worst part of 8 however is the storyline, it's sodding ridiculous.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:23 am

Yeah, I think that's a point that sometimes gets neglected - pretty much all of the FF games have a way around the random battles.
Okay, sometimes you have to go through a lot of random battles to discover it, but you are by no means tied to them for the entire game.

The way I see it, there will always be a way to A) travel the world map freely and quickly, and/or disable random encounters for your party, and B) level up quickly by fighting certain opponents in a certain area, and/or selling/acquiring certain objects etc.

For me, discovering these kind of things is part of the fun - the more gruelling the random battles, the more rewarding it is when you finally become exempt from them.
I appreciate that some people don't really want to have to spend that long looking for "shortcuts" in a game, so I can understand people not liking FF.

Personally, I quite liked the story and setting for VIII - especially starting the game as a student, It gave you a genuine reason to be on a learning curve.
Triple Triad was good (and some of the cards were useful elsewhere in the game), the soundtrack was excellent, and I was very comfortable with the junctioning system.
Again, I think junctioning made more sense of the random encounters, because (rather than following cryptic clues and side quests, although there wer plenty of those too) you could discover for yourself where certain monsters hung out, what magic they gave you, what items they gave you, and work out how best to use them.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]