What 48k Spectrum/BBC games should I be playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CrookedMouth

What 48k Spectrum/BBC games should I be playing?

Post by CrookedMouth » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:19 pm

I would like to load up my GBA sp with around 20-30 spectrum games. The only requirement is that they have to run on the 48k speccy and not be too overly input heavy like a text adventure.
Any help would be apprietiated as I have no clue how to sort out the best of the thousands of titles available. I know only what I've read in RG and Emulate!.

Thank you all,
CM
Last edited by CrookedMouth on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:22 pm

Chip's Challenge, The Spy Who Loved Me.

That's 2.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:47 am

those look great and thanks for the reply but they're both 128k, I wish I could run them but zxadvanced only emulates the 48k. maybe I should make the 48k bold in my post.

devilman

Post by devilman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:58 am

I imagine 3D Deathchase would work quite well.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:43 am

West Bank
Bruce Lee
Chaos
Chuckie Egg
Cyclone
Deflektor
The Great Escape
Knot in 3D
Manic Miner
Moon Cresta
Renegade
Rex
Saboteur
Scuba Dive
Spellbound
Trap Door
Trashman
Turbo Esprit

Just a few I've emulated on PSP recently.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:18 am

The Great Escape is excellent. Might be a tad tricky to see small objects, like keys, on the GBA screen but still an excellent game. Some others to try...

Alien 8
Bride of Frankenstein
Last edited by Mantas on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:22 am

Atic Atac
Split Personalities
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:24 am

i wouldn't even bother no speccy game is worth the time or effort, the GBA has mario world and yoshi's island on it, there is no need to play anything else

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:27 am

Muse Hunter shouldn't even bother to post, its not worth the time or effort, the forum has sensible posters on it, there is no need to read anything else ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:34 am

i wouldn't even bother no speccy game is worth the time or effort, the GBA has mario world and yoshi's island on it, there is no need to play anything else
Dunno why but I imagine muse sitting there in Mario PJ's, with matching wallpaper, curtains and bedspread, fingers in ears, shouting 'la, la, la, la, la' everytime the subject of 8 bit gaming comes up. :lol:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:46 am

If it hadn't been for 8 bit gaming there wouldnt have BEEN a Mario!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:01 am

Weren't the first mario games 8-bit..? (not including Donkey Kong.. not sure what bit that arcade board would be.. ?)

The arcade version of the Nes (Playchoice 10 machines) where pretty much a nes in a cabinet with Super Mario Bros etc.

The NES is an 8-bit surely..!!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:15 am

They're not time, nor are they effort, with emulation you don't have to sit through those loading times. Personally,I see muse sitting with MAME in front of him/her and saying, nope, nope, nope, not playing those cause of the year they were made.

Sorry bout my choices, I did notice the 48k point but thought those games might work on it.

Danger Mouse would work though.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:32 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:They're not time, nor are they effort, with emulation you don't have to sit through those loading times. Personally,I see muse sitting with MAME in front of him/her and saying, nope, nope, nope, not playing those cause of the year they were made.

Sorry bout my choices, I did notice the 48k point but thought those games might work on it.

Danger Mouse would work though.
nothing to do with the dates they were made i play games like defender, joust, and mario bros, but there isn't a speccy game that comes close to them. But truthfully i wouldn't play a speccy game if you paid me, so i'm probably a little bit biased

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:44 am

I suppose everybody is entitled to their opinion so i'll back off, I personally can't stand some of the really early gaming 'classics' like Pacman, Pong, Defender and the likes as I find them extremely repetitive. I'll give them a whirl, but only for a minute or two.