Name a game everyone should experience

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Name a game everyone should experience

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:58 am

ismellicecream wrote:I can hear the sound fx right now - the boat engine, the water, the seagull. :D

It was just such a stand out game...Right, here`s what we want you to destroy or who to kill.Objective is over there, your here, sort out your own means of getting there....The windsurfer, the helicopter , ahh, had hours of fun with those.You could swim as well and how many GTA games passed before they let you do that....

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Very nice games listed but more than reading lists of somewhat reknown games (some obscure ones too) I'd love to know why you think everyone regardless of age, gender or genre preferences should experience the one game you're talking about. If you could also limit it to a (i.e. 1) game it would be a more dynamic writing and reading.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 are a MUST play. Arguably, this could be the best game of the decade.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:24 pm

rossi46 wrote: Alisia Dragoon,Thunderforce 4.
Got them, Thunderforce 4 is just awesome.
Going for an easy one, Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, it made Zelda what it is today IMO.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:38 pm

harlequ1n wrote:Very nice games listed but more than reading lists of somewhat reknown games (some obscure ones too) I'd love to know why you think everyone regardless of age, gender or genre preferences should experience the one game you're talking about. If you could also limit it to a (i.e. 1) game it would be a more dynamic writing and reading.
Good call.

Okay, Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey (Windows PC, 1997).
(copied and pasted from my RetroBates profile on the game):
How many times can you count, just on the one hand, where a trip to the chemist has led to the toppling of an empire? How many times have you humped a talking cow, only for it to cough up life-giving four leaf clovers? How many times have you defeated a vicious cave beast using an explosive robot penguin? How many times have you had to break into a museum in order to acquire your own clothes?

The answer to all of these questions and many more, for me at least, is somewhere around six or seven. Granted, I don't have six or seven fingers to count on the one hand, but... Sorry, I don't really know where I'm going with this, but the point is, the world of Little Big Adventure is one you'll want to visit over and over and over again. You can explore every last inch of every planet in this little galaxy, and although you can see park benches from space, it's still a big world. Hence the title, I suppose.

So yeah, the basic initial "quest" of a trip to the chemists is soon interrupted by a minor side-quest to fix the weather, which in turn clears the skies for an alien invasion, and it all kicks off from there. Along the way, you'll complete a wizard's training course, become involved in a war between giant insects and sausage men, solve a minor fuel crisis, topple an empire, save the world, the usual.

Twinsen's Odyssey probably has the most camera angles in any game ever, as well as a massive amount of hidden Easter stuff. You know, eggs. There's that cow-humping thing, there's the part where beating up the kids in the local school leads to all of their big brothers waiting for you outside, cameos from the three little pigs and Time Commando...

Seriously, it's a world you'll never want to leave, so much so that when the final curtain falls, you'll probably be disappointed. Just means you get to start all over again! Yay!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:06 am

FlyHighKid wrote:Don't know if this was mentioned, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 are a MUST play. Arguably, this could be the best game of the decade.

I disagree. These are both excellent games (I've just borrowed MW on the PC and played MW2 on the Xbox last night), but they're just 'more COD' as far as I'm concerned. COD's getting like FIFA and PES, you can't keep massively improving something that's already good, and getting it right.

I just don't think they have a timelessness about them. A lot of the games in this thread offer a unique experience, or a sense of achievement, or a wondrous journey, whereas COD is just another good FPS. I'd rather plat TF2, Halflife 2, Portal (ooh forgot Portal, add it to my list!), System Shock 2, DEUS EX - these are all FPS's that offer far more than popping out from behind cover and killing guys. I'm not knocking that as a gameplay aspect either - just played thru Gears of War 1 and 2 and thats pretty much ALL YOU DO - but I had a blast.

Just think there's far better stuff out there...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:18 pm

GAME seem to disagree :lol:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:53 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:GAME seem to disagree :lol:
Best game ever my arse.

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:01 pm

It doesn't matter how these lists are compiled!It doesn't matter if it's public poll based,or made by the website itself.They always end up in this idiotic way.It's seems nobody can take a step back and look at they're video game experiences from a more authoritative mindset except for you fine fellows here!

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm going to opt for Chaos on the Spectrum. It's simple enough to learn, but there are layers of depth to discover. Once you start tinkering with Law and Chaos spells to effect spell-casting percentages you open up a whole new side to the game. Plus the A.I. actually puts up a challenge without cheating.

So whether you're taking on the computer or huddled around your speccy with friends; whether you're duelling or engaging in a battle royale, Chaos is always a good game

Sure, it isn't an action packed blast-fest, but it makes you think while having fun - and you can't complain about that!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:13 pm

erm.......

QWAK

If you haven't .....you should.........you really should.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:00 pm

lexiomiguel wrote:
It doesn't matter how these lists are compiled!It doesn't matter if it's public poll based,or made by the website itself.They always end up in this idiotic way.It's seems nobody can take a step back and look at they're video game experiences from a more authoritative mindset except for you fine fellows here!
People will vote for the game they enjoy the most, which is fair enough. The fact is, that as much as some people like to look down their noses at COD4, it is the best multiplayer game ever. You cannot argue with the fact that gamers from across the globe choose to play COD4 above any other game (over 1.5 billion online hours), who are you to tell them they should play ICO or Portal etc (both great games btw).

It remains to be seen if MW2 online has the same lasting appeal of COD4, but the original Modern Warfare is rightly regarded as an all time classic and this is pretty much all down to the multiplayer. Games have always been about fun, and the reason people are still playing COD4 is because they are still having fun. Most of the games listed in this thread are fantastic but given the choice I would still rather play COD4 multiplayer than pretty much anything else.

clarance

Post by clarance » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Right, I'm gunna plump for Thrust - a brilliant example of what can be done in a small amount of memory. I was never any good at it, but the controls were so impressive - almost as good as playing Asteroids for the first time.

Incidentally, my memory of Thrust was jogged by the release of a revised version by the original coder which gives the game a new lease of life on the Commodore 16 - info here
Death may be your Santa Claus.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Xcom.Proof, if ever it was needed that flash graphics are not needed for an amazing game.

A cliched plot-Aliens invading earth, set the scene for a tactical game unmatched even today.

It just drew you in with a superb balance of utter urgency-Combating a far superior technology based group of alien races (and later turning that very same technology on their sorry alien backsides :D ) and control as you carried out R+D, paid staff, tried to keep the funding nations happy etc.

The Crash sites( After shooting E.T down) and Terror missions were very tense experiences and to see a trooper you`d grown to know like your 1st born, take a plasma shot to the head and die, was a real knife in the stomach.

Add to that the cool PSI powers, Base expansion etc etc. Layer upon layer of depth to it.

It took a while to get into, but mixed turn-based battle and resource management - Usually a No-No into something that just eat away hours of your life.

I`d plump for the PSone version( and a PS mouse) every time.

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:45 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
lexiomiguel wrote:
People will vote for the game they enjoy the most, which is fair enough. The fact is, that as much as some people like to look down their noses at COD4, it is the best multiplayer game ever. You cannot argue with the fact that gamers from across the globe choose to play COD4 above any other game (over 1.5 billion online hours), who are you to tell them they should play ICO or Portal etc (both great games btw).

It remains to be seen if MW2 online has the same lasting appeal of COD4, but the original Modern Warfare is rightly regarded as an all time classic and this is pretty much all down to the multiplayer. Games have always been about fun, and the reason people are still playing COD4 is because they are still having fun. Most of the games listed in this thread are fantastic but given the choice I would still rather play COD4 multiplayer than pretty much anything else.
I guess what I'm saying is that I seriously doubt the validity of the judgment of the average participant(which is probably 15) in these polls on what is the GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME.Not to purposefully come across as a stubborn jerk but,dude,you can't tell me these poll takers are really voting for the BEST game.I think they are voting for they're favorite game and really just at the time.Look,I'm not trying to say what people should play and not play or saying that they really didn't have a lot of fun with COD4.I had a lot of fun with it.I'm just saying that subconsciously or not,people are voting for their most enjoyable gaming experience in the last few years,their favorite of recent memory.I don't know I just can't help but think that it's ignorant and shortsighted to say that such a new game is the best.