Name a game everyone should experience

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

harlequ1n

Name a game everyone should experience

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:35 pm

With so many consoles, eras and games. It's hard to track down all those amazing games that you wish future generations should experience. I myself haven't played most (if not all) of the best 80's classics as I was still a nipper back then. As for my answer, I think everyone regardless of age, genre or preference should experience Sid Meier's Civilization or Civ 2 if possible, as those games really made me think and strengthen my underdeveloped brain as a lad. Your turn.

SpiffierRabbit

Re: Name a game everyone should experience

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Tetris
Street Fighter 2 SCE
Doom
Metal Gear Solid

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Megadrive: Vectorman, Alisia Dragoon, Gynoug, Ranger X, Mazin War and Thunderforce 4.

The pinnacle of 90's 16-bit era.
Thoughts and prayers.

Jekylls Phd

Post by Jekylls Phd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Super Mario 64
Virtua Fighter
Outrun

Graedient

Post by Graedient » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Chrono Trigger.

I wasn't a fan of RPGs until I played that. Amazing amazing amazing. I'll have to buy another copy and play through it again.
Youtube | Trades & Sales | Twitter | Wanted: Super Pang (SNES) [Cart Only]

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Superman 64

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:25 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:Superman 64
:lol: Everyone has to experience it just once!

To be serious, I'm only going with 5- the first 5 that pop into my head- otherwise we'd be here all night:
Metal Slug 2 - The game that's directly responsible for me getting back into old games. It is the pinnacle of the series, slowdown be damned, it is one of the best run-and-gun games around, and it's a damn shame it never seems to get the praise that Slug 3 gets (which I always thought was too bloated) although, obviously, I'm very biased.
Street Fighter II Turbo - Well, you can pick any revision of the game you like (this one just happens to be the one I remember) but regardless, it has to be in 2-player mode, otherwise why bother at all? It's a game so important that every traditional one-on-one fighting game lives in its shadow.
Super Metroid - Not only is it the best Metroid game (and one of my absolute favourite games of all time) but it's also an important example of a game telling a story and setting atmosphere without lengthy cutscenes or even text, an approach I wish more games would adopt.
Final Fight - Every scrolling brawler cliché came from this game. Running fat guys? Check. Knives and pipe wrenches? Check. Turkeys in dustbins? You bet it's in there. Also, it has this great atmosphere about it, making you feel like you actually are in a total toss-hole of a town!
Global Defence Force - It's a flawed game (oh how it's a flawed game) but it's also a pure game. It's nothing but about destroying alien scum bigger than most buildings, except for the part where you have to destroy the mothership that's 10 times the size of God. And that's awesome.

And as a bonus, the duo of absolute insanity that consists of The Ninja Kids and Growl because playing them feels like you're having a weird fever dream that cannot possibly be real. Especially The Ninja Kids.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:27 pm

Hmm, hard. I guess one should be Super Mario Bros. For a person that is totally unfamiliar with video games, SMB really delivers the fundamentals of a whole genre. Same thing with Tetris. Boring answers, but true nontheless.

Other than that, i'd say...Silent Hill 2. It's a strange feeling, sitting alone in the middle of the night playing this game. It's beautiful, it's ugly, it's true horror told in the best way possible.
What else, maybe World Of Warcraft. For me, no other game have brought me so many friends (and enemys!), it's like no other game. Hell, it's probably not even a game anymore. It's something else.
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Ultraman snes :?
Star wars cockpit :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:04 pm

i know it says "game", but it would be near impossible to choose one and not change your mind a second later.

Shenmue - it's a labour of love (apart from some of the people who did the voice overs). i know it's a marmite game but i really love this one. A friend of mine who i've only really known to be obsessed by Fifa, recently confessed it was his favourite game of all time and launched into a rambling speech about how much he loved playing it. He then asked me why i had it on the xbox and the DC...i told him not to inspect the rest of my games collection if that kind of thing disturbed him.

Adventure (VCS) - because it really was the origin of a lot of games i really love.

Shadow of the Collosus/Psychonauts/Um Jammer Lammy/Vib Ribbon/Rez/Zelda OOT: just games that made me think there are wonderful people out there who made something that really connected with me. God bless you all!

Andykiwi

Post by Andykiwi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:48 pm

Everyone should play, or at least see "The Sims" and "Sim City" so they know they are NOT the same game! :roll:

They are now cultural icons or the virtual age. All those games that have become cultural icons should be experienced firsthand by everyone, I think.

...so also Arcade game classics like "Space Invaders", "Pacman", "Street Fighter"... and, yes, "Tetris", for sure.

Edit: It should be taught in school - Video game history! :P

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:42 am

Xcom-Still amazing, despite it`s age in terms of visuals.

System Shock 2-Still better than Bioshock.

Captive ST/Amiga. Just an amazing game and will last for ever.

Wizball C64 Because i fear we may never see it`s like again.

Bubble Bobble-Proof that gameplay is the key, not what the graphics engine is pushing.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:25 am

With a time machine, and a brain wipe: Asteroids or Star Wars . Preferably during the school summer holidays circa 1980.
Without a time machine, and a brain wipe: Uncharted 2. As it is f**king awesome.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:35 am

Robotron 2084

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:03 am

MONKEY ISLAND