Games that were too easy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Andykiwi

Games that were too easy

Post by Andykiwi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm sure we have all found games that were too hard for one reason or another...
but have you come across any games you found to be too easy and therefore no fun - no challenge?

I don't think I have. ...Maybe "The Sims" was the easiest game I have played...

dannnnn

Re: Games that were too easy

Post by dannnnn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ps3_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wii_games

Seriously though I'd say about 90% of general releases aimed at gamers nowadays are too easy. I was having this discussion on another forum recently and it was pretty much agreed that it's not about you trying to beat the game anymore, it's just about the game holding your hand and guiding you to the end in the hope that you enjoy the "experience".

Thankfully, there are still a few companies out there making "real" games, they're just becoming increasingly harder to find amidst the censored.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

It's a bit unfair saying the Sims (or any simulation game) - as there's usually no clear goal, you just carry on and on and on...

Easy games though:

Super Aleste/Space MegaForce is ridiculously easy, I finished it on my first go.
Same goes for Super Castlevania IV and Gradius III (the SNES version).
Pinocchio on the Mega Drive is a ridiculously short game, it feels like it's not even finished. So that one's too easy as well.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Phantasmagoria on the PC. Been a few years since i played it, but i remember it as very easy. And scary.
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

coevin

Post by coevin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:56 pm

There are a couple which spring to mind.

Rambo c64
ghostbusters c64
Golden axe (completed first go) c64
Super marioland game boy

Games these days are all generally easy, that's why i added only old school games.

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:30 pm

I actually found beating Super Mario Galaxy to the lowest required star count fairly easy.I would consistently have feelings of underwhelmed accomplishment.I couldn't help but feel that I hadn't really accomplished much when I easily defeated that mole boss,that egg plant boss and even the final Bowser confrontation,which I beat on my first attempt.Mario 64 seemed 10x harder when I played it those years ago.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 am

Galaxy may have been easy to complete upto the minimum but it was a different kettle of fish trying for all the 242 stars, you have to remember that galaxy is a game for all age groups and I feel it pretty much covers all the bases concerning difficulty, it's a nice learning curve. How many times did I have to do the Luigi/Mario switchplate level (coin collecting comet level) before I completed it ... 100's no doubt, it was insanely difficult. More difficult than anything in Mario64.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:43 am

Megaman 5 was to easy compared to the rest of the series while also giving out extra lives at an alarming rate, still a blast to play through though, I just wish it was harder!

Street Fighter EX3's single player mode was far to easy on the whole, I'd have prefered an 8 star setting like the difficulty select in the original EX as I enjoyed EX3 but it was far to easy and took away much of the enjoyment when it came to clearing the single player modes.

Guilty Gear X for the GBA was a big let down, the characters in the game would barely attack you at all even on the hardest difficulty!

The biggest offender for me is Castlevania Symphony of the Night - using the weapons and armour you collect throughout the game made the game insanely easy to me which removed pretty much all the challenge out of the game (save for one boss), luckily this can be solved by simply not equipping better gear which evens things out more.

KOF XII - Even on hard this game is no challenge due to the erractic AI. It punches thin air, jumps around like a lunatic and generally won't block super moves.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 am

Robocop on the Speccy was way too easy, you could pass it on your first sitting. It was still a good game while it lasted though.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 am

coevin wrote:Rambo c64
Really? I've always found that to be VERY hard, and was playing it again last week. I thought it was generally regarded as one of the hardest C64 games :?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:30 am

Silent Hill 3 (PS2) It was over when it seemed to just get going, and whoever programmed the monsters had really checked out mentally, because they’re….well, shat

Duck Tails (NES) So, so easy, even back in the day, but so, so enjoyable

Kane and Lynch (360) was a clunky mess, but also, a walk in the park (except the last level - It jumps about 20 levels in difficulty. Testers? Testers? Seriously tho, did anyone bother when it came to this game? I guess not, as not only was the last level ridiculous but the games cover system didn’t even work)

Final Fight (Arcade) As long as you’d saved up your pocket money, you could walk this game…..don’t get me wrong though, I loved/love it, button mashing satisfaction at it’s best!

I’m sure I’ll remember more once I’ve woken up

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:46 am

Agent X II was pretty easy, as was Game Over 2. The latter was particularly surprising since Dinamic games were notoriously hard, none more so than the original Game Over.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:16 am

Does the LMA Manager games count? I managed to get really small teams to the premiership well within 10 seasons.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:31 am

Oh, and I can't remember whether it was the original Civ or Civ II that I could beat on the hardest level with a mathematically impossible approval rating of something like 140%. Never managed to get to grips with III or IV to the same extent.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:04 am

Kirby's Dream Land was the first game I ever played and very probably the easiest.

Other games that are too easy, off the top of my head: Mario Kart 64, Wiz 'N' Liz, Yoshi's Story, The Ren & Stimpy Show Presents: Stimpy's Invention, Sonic The Hedgehog 3, Theme Park World and Ridge Racer Type 4.