Gamestation ain't so bad

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:38 pm

Give me arcade over realism any day-if I want realism,I'll drive my own car! And anyway,how realistic can any driving game be using a joystick/pad or even a pretend sterring wheel?

One other classic example of what I was saying before is The Great Escape by Ocean.Now to my knowledge there have only been 2 other games with the same theme (excluding the board game Colditz)
and that's Prisoner of War and the game of the film The Great Escape

Now both of these games came out many years later.Both on machines that were far more advanced than the Speccy,but neither of them are anywhere as playable.In the case of The Great Escape,it was an appalling game with terrible controls

How can that be? With the techology available, these games could/should have been far better than a 20 year old game-but they weren't.Surely
some of the programmers (especially Codemasters who were around at the time) must have played Ocean's game-why couldn't they improve on it? Or,if as I mentioned before,were they not bothered in trying to improve on it?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:43 am

Gran Turismo is barely more realistic than PGR3. Any game where you floor the throttle in an 800hp rear wheel drive car and can't make it do donuts is flawed, it also forces ABS brakes on all cars.

GT thinks it's realistic and fails. PGR3 is arcade but a very very well developed arcade.

Also, of the games I mentioned, Live for Speed is the only place where you can officially drive an F1 car outside of the PS2. With 15 others. Online.

Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:41 am

retros_the_way wrote:I know that my local gamestation are currently selling a snes with all leads, 2 controllers, 2 games for £29.99

Not sure what the games are but they are not rare.

They also have a shed load of snes games for £1.99 and £2.99 on buy one get one free.
lol. I picked up a boxed SNES with all leads and several games for £4 from a boot sale and an unboxe with all leads for a quid.

Gamestation are daylight robbers when it comes to hardware. The plymouth one has a battered up unboxed sega multi mega for £129.99. The waterlooville one had a battered up unboxed sega nomad for £85.

Totally rediculous prices that you wouldn't even expect to pay on ebay for boxed examples.

A better place to buy at the moment seems to be the cash converter style shops where you can pick up cheap old hardware and software and charity shops are still pretty good for old software (some do hardware but most won't touch electrics) unless theres a gamestation in the same street where they'll buy up all the stuff and put about a 1000% mark up on the price...
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:42 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Even on PC, no current RPGS with their flashy graphics and complicated gameplay can match their old counterparts(Baldurs Gate 1+2 , Fallout 1+2 etc)

and don't even get me started on graphic adventures Sleeping Dragon 3 compared to the likes of DOTT or Monkey Island 1+2 - there's just no contest
It's true - but comapring Fallout 1 or 2 to just about any other RPG just ain't a fair contest (except perhaps Planescape: Torment) :). On the other hand, modern RPG's are a lot more about online, PvP and GvG stuff. WoW was ace (except for the subscription element) and GuildWars is a mighty fine game with a lot of hidden depths.

As for the SCUMM games compared to Broken Sword 3 - well, I'm just glad that the two aren't mutually exclusive and that I can play them all, otherwise I'd have a hard time chosing one over the other!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

retros_the_way

Re:

Post by retros_the_way » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:30 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
retros_the_way wrote:I know that my local gamestation are currently selling a snes with all leads, 2 controllers, 2 games for £29.99

Not sure what the games are but they are not rare.

They also have a shed load of snes games for £1.99 and £2.99 on buy one get one free.
lol. I picked up a boxed SNES with all leads and several games for £4 from a boot sale and an unboxe with all leads for a quid.

Gamestation are daylight robbers when it comes to hardware. The plymouth one has a battered up unboxed sega multi mega for £129.99. The waterlooville one had a battered up unboxed sega nomad for £85.

Totally rediculous prices that you wouldn't even expect to pay on ebay for boxed examples.

A better place to buy at the moment seems to be the cash converter style shops where you can pick up cheap old hardware and software and charity shops are still pretty good for old software (some do hardware but most won't touch electrics) unless theres a gamestation in the same street where they'll buy up all the stuff and put about a 1000% mark up on the price...
Yeah they can be a bit expensive some times but then again they do still have bargians if you are not prepared to wait for a boot sale where you might find what your looking for. This lunchtime I got the following:

4 Mega drive games:

Gods (boxed with instructions)
Andre Agassi tennis (boxed)
Brian Lara cricket 96 (boxed)
Jimmy Whites whirlwind snooker (excellent game!) (boxed)

£3.98

Bargain! :)
If it ain't retro, I ain't playin' it

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Utini wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
Even on PC, no current RPGS with their flashy graphics and complicated gameplay can match their old counterparts(Baldurs Gate 1+2 , Fallout 1+2 etc)

and don't even get me started on graphic adventures Sleeping Dragon 3 compared to the likes of DOTT or Monkey Island 1+2 - there's just no contest
It's true - but comapring Fallout 1 or 2 to just about any other RPG just ain't a fair contest (except perhaps Planescape: Torment) :). On the other hand, modern RPG's are a lot more about online, PvP and GvG stuff. WoW was ace (except for the subscription element) and GuildWars is a mighty fine game with a lot of hidden depths.

As for the SCUMM games compared to Broken Sword 3 - well, I'm just glad that the two aren't mutually exclusive and that I can play them all, otherwise I'd have a hard time chosing one over the other!

But why can't they make RPGs as good as Fallout and P.T.?
The groundwork has already been done by Black Isle/Bioware
All they have to do is take this formula and improve on it

Online RPGs are a different kettle of fish entirely
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:17 pm

retros_the_way wrote:
Graphics cannot beat gameplay, no chance.
maybe not but it helps, i love retro but with newer consoles we have more possibilities, more chances to make greater experiences then previously. 5 yrs ago i would have taken shenmue over any game ever made, today i would take oblivion over shenmue. With each passing generation we have more possibilities for great games, what i'm trying to say is that the truely great games of today are better than the great games of yesterday, graphics and power makes that so.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Not sure what this thread is really for now :?:

Anyway, I am sick of making a special journey to GS only to find that the new issue of Retro Fusion is still not available. Damn this exclussive distribution.

PINMAN

Re:

Post by PINMAN » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:50 pm

muse hunter wrote:
retros_the_way wrote:

what i'm trying to say is that the truely great games of today are better than the great games of yesterday, graphics and power makes that so.
I totally disagree.What REALLY makes a great game,is playability.Fancy graphics and power,do not guarantee a top notch game.What good is an excellent looking game,if it plays like crap ?.Gameplay is,and always will be,the no 1 most important ingredient,to make a REAL fun game,that will constantly draw people back to it.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:55 pm

PINMAN wrote:
muse hunter wrote:
retros_the_way wrote:

what i'm trying to say is that the truely great games of today are better than the great games of yesterday, graphics and power makes that so.
I totally disagree.What REALLY makes a great game,is playability.Fancy graphics and power,do not guarantee a top notch game.What good is an excellent looking game,if it plays like crap ?.Gameplay is,and always will be,the no 1 most important ingredient,to make a REAL fun game,that will constantly draw people back to it.
I personally thought the point Muse Hunter was trying to make here was that if you take an average game from the speccy and an average game from the PS2, the PS2 would have to be considered better because it has the added extra graphics and larger environments.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:51 pm

I was going to write something nice about Gamestation not being as bad as Game, but I've had to chase them up today about a copy of We Love Katamari that I ordered from them over a week ago and had my account charged last Wednesday for, that still hasn't arrived. :evil: :evil: It could be down to Royal Mail rather than Gamestation though. :evil:

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:07 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:... if you take an average game from the speccy and an average game from the PS2, the PS2 would have to be considered better because it has the added extra graphics and larger environments.
Not necessarily so, in many peoples opinion.

It's like saying 'Football is better than Chess, because more people follow it', people who like chess may not agree ;)

My point being sometimes there isn't grounds for a direct comparison.
The 'Computer Games Industry' of today is not the same thing as that whitch produced games for the C64 and Spekie...

I personally wouldn’t agree that the best games on the ZX spectrum were somehow inherently not as good as an average EA {insert sport here} game for the PS2, because I don’t like any of those type of games!!
Last edited by GarryG on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:11 am

Correct

Software production has become more corporate,mney oriented and stale

Much like football...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

superstarbeejay

Post by superstarbeejay » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 am

I picked up boxed complete and very good condition copies of Rad Gravity and Blue Shadow on the NES for 50p BOGOF last weekend in GS. Very odd pricing but I'm not complaining.

devilman

Post by devilman » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:06 pm

Their pricing can certainly be erratic. My local GS pretty much sells all NES stuff from £4.99 upwards so I don't give it a second look.