Gamestation ain't so bad

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:18 am

Does anyone know what Gamestation pay for a complete SNES set up?

retros_the_way

Post by retros_the_way » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:20 am

I know that my local gamestation are currently selling a snes with all leads, 2 controllers, 2 games for £29.99

Not sure what the games are but they are not rare.

They also have a shed load of snes games for £1.99 and £2.99 on buy one get one free.
If it ain't retro, I ain't playin' it

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:24 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I love the older games as the gameplay to me was better, no 200 page manuals to read first, no 48 key combinations you have to learn, dont have to sit there for 4 hours to complete one mission.
I take it you've never played Gunship on a C64 loaded from cassette then.
Huge manual, masses of keys and it takes about half an hour just to get to the mission start. Great game :twisted:

Oh, and I may be a minority but I prefer Speedball 1. I like the narrower single screen width pitch better.
Some games were never designed to be played on cassette.

I think that a lot of American software is guilty of this-game made originally for a market which mainly used disk,and then sent across the Ocean for us Europeans with our out-dated cassettes
I'm sure that if the games had been originally designed for cassette,they
would have come up with a better loading system

Most Microprose software was like this-Airborne Ranger being another culprit.

Still, better the get the game than not at all

PS,does anyone know WHY the Americans used disc and Brits used cassette?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:30 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:
merman wrote:I have to disagree with you on Pro Evo, SWOS is great fun but Pro Evo has so much depth and such great controls. When you learn them, it becomes natural and easy to play.

I have to agree with Merman, once you learn the more complex controls, the game becomes a sublime test of skill. The difference between using a pass to feet or a lofted through ball is the difference between scoring or not. My friends and I are all at a similar skill level and we get together every Wednesday night and play 2 versus 2, it really doesn't get much better.

That said we do still love a game of Sensi.

so you're still playing Sensi 10 years on-do you think you'll still be playing that version of Pro Evo in 2016?

Kick off 2 , Emlyn Hughes Soccer and Sensi all had a range of passing moves -all using 1 joystick and 1 fire button.I think there are too many games today that use extra buttons simply because they are there

I would still be playing the original Pro Evo on PS2 from 2001, but my mate has to buy the new one every year, so that's what we play. However, they have improved over the years, so you can't complain. One thing is certain, I won't be playing the Sensi remake again, let alone in 2016.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:43 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:

I have to agree with Merman, once you learn the more complex controls, the game becomes a sublime test of skill. The difference between using a pass to feet or a lofted through ball is the difference between scoring or not. My friends and I are all at a similar skill level and we get together every Wednesday night and play 2 versus 2, it really doesn't get much better.

That said we do still love a game of Sensi.

so you're still playing Sensi 10 years on-do you think you'll still be playing that version of Pro Evo in 2016?

Kick off 2 , Emlyn Hughes Soccer and Sensi all had a range of passing moves -all using 1 joystick and 1 fire button.I think there are too many games today that use extra buttons simply because they are there

I would still be playing the original Pro Evo on PS2 from 2001, but my mate has to buy the new one every year, so that's what we play. However, they have improved over the years, so you can't complain. One thing is certain, I won't be playing the Sensi remake again, let alone in 2016.
Agreed-Sensible Software will be forever tarnished with that effort
I understand the importance of timing with the World Cup -but stiil , WHY?
It's not like they need the cash,or that they paid a fortune in licences and had to recoup some money

A decent football game sells just as well just before or during the start of a new season-just look ayt Football Manager.A bad game might have good initial sales,but then stops selling entirely (unless its called FIFA of course!)

Plus , who's going to be brave enough to buy the next Sensible Software game BEFore they see a review from a reliable source?

They WERE one of the VERY few companies whom you could trust to
buy their new release without worrying it was a duffer ( with the odd exception-eg Cannon Fodder 2)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:55 am

paranoid marvin wrote:does anyone know WHY the Americans used disc and Brits used cassette?
Cost.

That's all there was to it.

Floppy drives were (comparatively) inexpensive in the States where they were manufactured.

In the UK, they cost more than the computer did.

That and we didn't know any better. I only knew one kid with a floppy drive for his C64, and it seemed like a lot of faffing about to load a game. We knew where we were with a tape deck.

It never hurt the twin tape deck industry though ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:53 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: PGR2 is arguably the best racing game on current hardware

Give me the original Outrun any day
Both of those statements are quite hideously, frightningly wrong.

Plus Outrun 2006 is a million times better than any pre-ps2 outrun.
Tiger Woods is the best curent golf game

Leaderboard is a far more playable game
Leaderboard, like most golf games of the time has zero to do with golf and is more 72 short games of DDR every round.
Pro Evo Soccer is the most popular footbal game

SWOS was a far superior game
Completely different types of game. Pro Evo 5 IS far superiour to it's direct comparison ISS

I mean I love Retro as much as the next guy but you're largely insane.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:22 pm

As regards PGR2,I just picked out a next gen racer which is popular,I can't honestly tell you which is the best racing game.But I stand my argument that Outrun is a better game in terms of music,graphics and gameplay.

I can't agree with you about Leaderboard not being a good game.I like my golf games,and having played Tiger Woods on PS2 , can honestly say I would go back to my C64 any day.So the graphics arent as good,no full motion video-but the gameplay is far more addictive (on a par with PGA on Amiga)

I sound like I'm a Pro-Evo hater-I'm not (although I do hate FIFA) but it
annoys me that these games are so complicated to play.As mentioned above,Sensi ,Emlyn Hughes and Kick Off 2 all managed with a joystick and 1 fire button.

It was how you used the controller,not which button you pressed which determined what kind of shot/pass you had and how successful it was
-to me this is a major distinction
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Personal preference I suppose. I'm of the opinion that racing games are the one genre that has surged forward with new tech - current racing games, while often a bit bland compared to one another, are incredible things. Much more involving and atmospheric. Though the soundtracks often leave a lot to be desired...

I'm all for joystick and one (or two) buttons for football games. Not being a fan of the sport, I'm not inclined to spend the time learning a complex system, I just want pick up and play arcadey goodness. I tried Pro Evo once and it was awful.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:46 pm

Anybody who doesn't think PGR3 is the best racing game ever made hasn't played it.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:55 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Anybody who doesn't think PGR3 is the best racing game ever made hasn't played it.
Or understands that a racing game needs either decent AI opponents or realistic physics.

PGR is fun but it has neither.

Live for Speed, Grand Prix Legends, Nacscar 2003 season or NetKar for physics. F-Zero GX or LeMans 24hr for pure racing smart AI. Ridge Racer 6 or Outrun 2006 have better AI in the "not really racing them since you don't start together) stakes. GTR or GTLegends are other good all rounders.
As regards PGR2,I just picked out a next gen racer which is popular,I can't honestly tell you which is the best racing game.But I stand my argument that Outrun is a better game in terms of music,graphics and gameplay.
Yes but you're still forgetting Outrun 2006.

preownedgames.co.uk

Re:

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:13 pm

Dudley wrote:
preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Anybody who doesn't think PGR3 is the best racing game ever made hasn't played it.
Or understands that a racing game needs either decent AI opponents or realistic physics.

PGR is fun but it has neither.

Live for Speed, Grand Prix Legends, Nacscar 2003 season or NetKar for physics. F-Zero GX or LeMans 24hr for pure racing smart AI. Ridge Racer 6 or Outrun 2006 have better AI in the "not really racing them since you don't start together) stakes. GTR or GTLegends are other good all rounders.
Have to disagree on both of those points i'm afraid, PGR3 has excellent AI opponents and the best physics I have seen in a racing game.

The most important thing about the way the car handles is that you really feel in control, and that if you spin off you can only blame yourself because you felt yourself going into the corner too fast or let it slide too much. You never feel cheated in PGR3 because it doesn't have the random "well there's nothing i could have done about that" factor.

Ridge racer 6 in comparison seems sluggish, unresponsive and the drifting seems totally random sometimes. The secret car you get after race 6 handles like a duvet.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:29 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote: Have to disagree on both of those points i'm afraid, PGR3 has excellent AI opponents and the best physics I have seen in a racing game.

The most important thing about the way the car handles is that you really feel in control, and that if you spin off you can only blame yourself because you felt yourself going into the corner too fast or let it slide too much. You never feel cheated in PGR3 because it doesn't have the random "well there's nothing i could have done about that" factor.
However it's still an arcade game. There's no realism to the physics. You can't lock individual wheels for example, there's zero suspension modelling. Play any of the games I named for physics consideration sometime. With the driving aids off. It's the best arcade driving I've seen, but it's very much arcade.

And the AI is not aware of your existence in any meaningful way, they're just drones. You brake slightly early they won't avoid you, they'll just cannon you on the apex.

Ridge racer 6 in comparison seems sluggish, unresponsive and the drifting seems totally random sometimes. The secret car you get after race 6 handles like a duvet.
Yes it has awful physics. I never said it didn't.

devilman

Re:

Post by devilman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:37 pm

oli_lar wrote:Does anyone know what Gamestation pay for a complete SNES set up?
Not sure about cash, but last time I checked, they offer £18 trade-in, which certainly isn't bad. Has to have an official pad with it though.

preownedgames.co.uk

Re:

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Dudley wrote:
Yes it has awful physics. I never said it didn't.
Ah sorry, I was getting confused.

I have to admit I haven't played the 4 games you mentioned but I've played all the normal ones, GT3 , Gotham, Outrun , Ridge Racer, Need for Speed etc and I just find that PGR3 strikes the perfect balance, about halfway between the completely unrealistic handling but complete fun of outrun and the utter dullness but total realism of Gran Turismo.