Embarrasing question about Forbidden Forest

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Embarrasing question about Forbidden Forest

Post by Mantas » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:33 am

This is a terrible thing to ask but how the hell do you play it? I run left and right, up, down, shoot arrows but I never see any monsters! This is the emulated version on PC. Am I being really thick or is the emulated version a dud? Thanks

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:57 am

wow, I thought I was the only one who couldn't play this game for more than two seconds!!! :oops:

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 am

Must be a dud, because I get twatted by a black spider straight away!!!!

EDIT 1:Forgot you have to load your bow, then fire. As firing an empty bow will just hurt your hands and not kill anything. :oops:

EDIT 2:Forgot all about the funky dance when you clear a level. Bees explode when hit with an arrow.

On another note thanks for posting this as I am now not going to get anything done for the rest of the afternoon./complete lack of sarcasm.

CraigGrannell

Re: Embarrasing question about Forbidden Forest

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:33 am

Mantas wrote:I run left and right, up, down
Um, are you sure you're playing Forbidden Forest? That game has your character rooted to the bottom of the screen. However, in Beyond the Forbidden Forest, you have a more 3D play area.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Yes its Beyond the Forbidden Forest. Good to know I'm not the only one. I've tried various roms and both D64 and .TAP files and its all the same. Pity its a dud though as I was really keen to try it out.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:18 pm

The game starts in training mode with no monsters so you can practice your moves.

Press F7 to begin the onslaught...

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Mantas wrote:Yes its Beyond the Forbidden Forest. Good to know I'm not the only one. I've tried various roms and both D64 and .TAP files and its all the same. Pity its a dud though as I was really keen to try it out.

You need to get the original game, simply titled "Forbidden Forest". If you keep running then you'll rarely be attacked by monsters. It's best to stay still for a couple of seconds.

Now aiming and firing, that's the tricky part. It took me ages to do that properly and I still can't get past the frogs.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:38 pm

You can grab both games from Lemon64

The original Forbidden Forest is here

The sequel, Beyond the Forbidden Forest is here

Cosmi has granted permission for free distribution as detailed here

I preferred the original. You still need to press F7 to get the monsters in the sequel, even on the real thing - its not part of the crack.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:15 pm

Looks a bit like the archery section on Kane.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Ash wrote:Now aiming and firing, that's the tricky part. It took me ages to do that properly and I still can't get past the frogs.
The frogs are simple enough: load and then stop with your arrow at roughly a 45° angle. If you see a frog about to land on your head, run like hell. If not, you should be able to hit one of the many that will rain down very near you. Repeat a few times and Bob's your uncle.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:08 am

It's hard to believe that I killed the Gorgon way back when, because now I suck. What a great game though, the tension is wracking, its very dramatic when the Gorgon comes during the lighting.

On a side note, has anyone played Caverns of Khafka, on the C64? It's by the same programmer, Paul Norman, but i swear its impossible. I could never figure it out.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:15 am

Paul Norman's games were all pretty tough, bar Forbidden Forest and Aztec Challenge (or perhaps that's just because I played those games for ages). I never got that far in Beyond..., and Navy Seal has a "GNH! ARGH!" toughness level.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:47 pm

I gave up on Aztec Challenge, every once in awhile I boot it just to see if I still stink at it, and yep , I do. Has anyone ever heard of Caverns of Khafka? there was a Atari800 version that was totally different game.