Bubble Bobble completed -- help with secret needed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kai

Bubble Bobble completed -- help with secret needed

Post by Kai » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi!
A few minutes ago me and my girlfriend completed BUBBLE BOBBLE (on PS2; Taito Legends) Level 100 and defeated the final boss. Took us over 2 hrs. Wow, that was really exciting!
After the congratulations and happy end screens, there is a hint for unlocking some kind of secret and a code of 8 symbols is shown which should give a hint for a kind of password or something.
Does anybody know something about this?

Greetings,
Kai

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:56 pm

Don't remember anything about a secret on the arcade version. Only thing you had to do was have 2 players on screen 100 so that you could save your mom and dad as well.

http://www.eccentrix.com/members/gameover/bub.html

monkey puzzle

Post by monkey puzzle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:18 pm

When you finish the game normally, you get an ending (duh). Of course, this is not the real ending. The real ending happens when you play in "Super" mode; that is when you input the title screen cheat which makes the cloud read "Super Bubble Bobble", not just "Bubble Bobble". Then you play the second 50 levels' monsters on the first levels 50 and vice-versa, and you get the "True and Happy ending". It has also been rumoured that if you finish the game with at least one player never having died, you get a different ending from the original one. I tend to believe this, seeing that a similar thing happens on Rainbow Islands... but can you find anyone who can finish Bubble Bobble on their own on one life?

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:05 am

monkey puzzle wrote: but can you find anyone who can finish Bubble Bobble on their own on one life?
I will try :lol:

The ending I had was about "love and friendship"...(soooo cute :wink: )
Didn't see the mom&dad ending posted above...

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:40 pm

monkey puzzle wrote:When you finish the game normally, you get an ending (duh). Of course, this is not the real ending. The real ending happens when you play in "Super" mode; that is when you input the title screen cheat which makes the cloud read "Super Bubble Bobble", not just "Bubble Bobble". Then you play the second 50 levels' monsters on the first levels 50 and vice-versa, and you get the "True and Happy ending". It has also been rumoured that if you finish the game with at least one player never having died, you get a different ending from the original one. I tend to believe this, seeing that a similar thing happens on Rainbow Islands... but can you find anyone who can finish Bubble Bobble on their own on one life?

Who's finished RI on 1 life?! :o
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:36 am

Secret code word is on the arcade standard ending and the PSX version ending as well.

Can anyone shed any light? Will try an get a screen shot of it tonight..
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

0 okay 0,1

Post by 0 okay 0,1 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:03 pm

If you put in the original game code and power up and then supermode you can loose as many lives as you like to get the true ending that is of course you and player two playing and winning on level 100.

Get the trasureroom one level 50 and you skip 20 levels.

If you do not know the codes go to the hints and tips setion of the menu (i am assuming you are playing potatio legends)

I have caught this post late, congrats If you hav got to 102 already! :wink:

have got to level 92 on one credit but other player is the donor!

regards
A true retrolamer

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:04 am

Have snap of secret code screen but is on mame arcade cab and have no means of getting it off at present.

As far as I can tell, its simply hinting that if you reach level 20 without any loss of life you get the secret door which leads to the secret level and skips level 21.

Doesn't mention level 50 secret though.

I think all of the other crap spouted on the "Secret code" screen about 8 secret words etc is just a load of sh1te.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:11 am

Some additional Bubble Bobble info in light of the excellent article in this months RG....

I bought the Bubble Bobble / Rainbow Islands Playstation compilation ages ago and used to play it regularly thinking it to be a direct arcade conversion. In the article it said that Rainbow Islands on the playstation comp was based on the Amiga version of rainbow islands and now that I have compared the Bubble Bobble to the Taito Legends on I can only conclude that playstation Bubble Bobble was also based on a 16 bit version rather than the arcade due to how badly it plays.

It seems wierd that the Playstion which should easily have had enough power for a direct arcade conversion got a poor sub standard one!

A bug that me and wifey found on Bubble Bobble in mame, If you bubble all critters on the level and leave them floating, then pick up a Bomb special (which causes a large explosion which kills all critter on the screen) you can still jump up to where the bubbles were floating and pop them even though they're not there scoring the multiplyer bonus for bursting lots of occcupied bubbles at once.

There are also numerous levels where you can Jump through walls, run through baddies and bounce off of the top of the screen on a bubble to get to the bottom of the screen.
Retrotechy.

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:54 am

http://taito.overclocked.org/bbsecrets.html
Here are the secret rooms and their messages.

And here are the endings: 1p bad ending, 2p normal mode, 2p super mode (true ending)

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:07 pm

OK, Here Goes....

If you complete to normal ending you get a coded screen with a cryptic message of 8 characters and a hint that if you can get to level 20 without losing a life you'l get another hint.

When you get to the secret level at level 20,30 or 40 you are presented with a secret room with a plaque with a line of 26 characters and a message in glyphs.

The list of 26 characters should be read from left to right replacing the glyphs for letters of alphabet (i.e first glyph is A, second is B etc)

Use these glyphs to translate the 8 symbol code on completion of the game and you get the letters SJBLRJSR which actually translates to - start,jump,bubble,left,right,jump,start,right.

Use that sequence on the bubble bobble attract screens and you will get access to super bubble bobble mode and you can then get the true ending with Mum and Dad in as well.

Theres secret rooms on level 20,30 and 40 providing that you can reach the level without losing a life. Each one has the list of 26 glyphs as well as an encrypted message. The translations of the messages are terrible but thats probably due to bad japanese translation.

See Wiki bubble bobble for more details and secrets
Retrotechy.

Mar

Post by Mar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:03 am

This brings back memories ;).

Back in the day I worked this all out by myself. Wrote all those codes down and decyphered them. Finished the game using the codes and celebrated! One of the trickiest endings to get ever. The whole game is genius.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:02 pm

Bingo !! Worked out what it says. :D :D

I enclose these magical medicine here, because those are my worst fears....

And what the hell is THAT supposed to mean???? :? :?
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)