Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RivaOni

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Post by RivaOni » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:03 am

I remember playing this as a young'un round at a friends after school but never ever owned my own Mega Drive up until last year, I frequently go in the charity shops in Bedford and a couple of months back found The Terminator, Lemmings and this at £6 for the lot, of course I snapped them up, but have barely played them despite knowing that I really enjoyed CoI in the past, my fiance spent yesterday playing it however and now loves it despite thefact she thinks its rather hard.

Like I said, I've not given it much of a play since buying it so I cant comment but what does everyone else think of one of the few decent Disney games?

Utini

Post by Utini » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:34 am

A great little platformer - I remember playing it when it first came out, and I don't remember it being particularly tough, but I was much younger then, and probably had razor-sharp reflexes :D

I think my favourite level was "Toy-Town" where you could make the screen flip upside-down.

As one of the earlier Megadrive games I think it really stood out as it had significantly better graphics and sound effects than what had come before - sadly my copy has long since gone as I traded a whole bunch of great games for a Mega-CD... whata mistake-a-to-make-a!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:35 am

Thats where the missus got to, where you flip toy town, it messed with her head she says.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:38 am

Its a nice game, but I prefer World of Illusion. That's possibly just me, seeing as I had WOI and not COI at the time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:48 am

I liked WOI too, but not got that yet, keeping an eye out for it in my local stores though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 am

I'm not normally one for Disney themed games but this was very good and an early hit on the Megadrive back in the day. Great playable little game

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:10 am

I always like Alladin on the Megadrive, but hated it on the Snes.

Quackshot was another fave again Megadrive.

I hated the one where you started in the b/w Steamboat Willy cartoon though, can't remember what it was called.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Prefered WOI (First MD game I owned, came as the pack in with my spanking new MD2) to COI (although I have a sneaking admiration for the MAster System version of COI).

Quackshot was great. Wonderful graphics, great music, and just about pitched perfectly re: difficulty.

edit:

The steamboat willy one is Mickey Mania, IIRC.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:13 pm

I always found the Master System version of CoI better than the Mega-Drive... or at least more playable/fun. Quackshot is the best Disney game on the SMD IMHO. :D

monkey puzzle

Re:

Post by monkey puzzle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:32 pm

RivaOni wrote: my fiance spent yesterday playing it however and now loves it despite thefact she thinks its rather hard.
Shows how good women are at games, this I think is the first Megadrive game I completed. Took only a few hours. Good game though. Quackshots is great too, a bit harder. Shame about Fantasia though, thats not good. :cry:

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Her gendres got nothing to do with it, she wsnt a gamer in the 2D game and didn't really get into them until she beat Kingdom Hearts, something I havent done, in fact the only thing she has left to beat on KH is Sephiroth

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:56 pm

I remember seeing Aladdin on the MD,so I bought it for my SNES

The game just didn't seem as good,although I've never played the MD version

Anyone know what the actual differences are?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:44 pm

I actually had both COI and Quakshot on one SMD cartridge. There were both good games.

The other Disney games I also liked were Aladdin (Amiga being the best) and The Lion King (SMD version this time - the Amiga version felt unfinished :-().
paranoid marvin wrote:Anyone know what the actual differences are?
Everything, apart from that it's a platformer based on the Disney movie 'Aladdin'! :P

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

monkey puzzle

Re:

Post by monkey puzzle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:12 pm

RivaOni wrote:Her gendres got nothing to do with it, she wsnt a gamer in the 2D game and didn't really get into them until she beat Kingdom Hearts, something I havent done, in fact the only thing she has left to beat on KH is Sephiroth
Sorry, just talking about women in general. :oops:

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:46 am

from that brief era of MegaDrive Disney Platformers, I think they did a fairly good job.
Castle of Illusion was great , world of Illusion better, Lion King , Jungle Book and Aladdin were also all good games.
Nowadays they have gone all 3D such as Over the hedge and have lost that Charm the older games had.
Retro when it wasnt cool