Games you physically destroyed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

coe

Games you physically destroyed

Post by coe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Heroes of the Lance - NES
For great justice we smashed this one up pretty good. We played baseball with it with a hammer and left what was left of it on the doorstep of this guy we didn't like very much.

Hydlide - NES
We put this one out on the street and tried landing ollies on it on our skateboards. I don't think we were able to bust it up too much doing this but it was still kind of funny.

Yo Bro - TurboGrafx16
Taking care of this one was pretty fun too. We taped an M-80 to the HuCard, lit it, threw it up in the air and watched little pieces of Hu shatter all over. Yo Bro will not be missed.

So guys, any good childhood stories of killing your games?

Antiriad2097

Re: Games you physically destroyed

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:44 am

No. That would be stupid, mindless destruction for no good reason. I assume your mother bought you those and you didn't fork out £40 of your own for those. Daft thing to do when you could have sold them to get more cash for more games at the very least.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:15 am

coe wrote:Heroes of the Lance - NES
For great justice we smashed this one up pretty good. We played baseball with it with a hammer and left what was left of it on the doorstep of this guy we didn't like very much.

Hydlide - NES
We put this one out on the street and tried landing ollies on it on our skateboards. I don't think we were able to bust it up too much doing this but it was still kind of funny.

Yo Bro - TurboGrafx16
Taking care of this one was pretty fun too. We taped an M-80 to the HuCard, lit it, threw it up in the air and watched little pieces of Hu shatter all over. Yo Bro will not be missed.

So guys, any good childhood stories of killing your games?
MUPPET

Its only one step away from tying firecrackers to the neighbors (sic) cat and watching the little asshole dance around ...yee haa....

Try working ...then buying your games...then lets see how many you destroy......

Go back to xbox live and shout profanities.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:01 am

:? Why would you want to destroy a game, when you could either sell it on and get cash or give it to charity or swap it for something you do want?.

Mindless destruction of games, just comes across as a little pathetic to me.Must have got more money than sense, time on your hands or both.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:18 am

I'd never do it. I can't afford to replace things/waste money here and there. Same goes for controllers when people talk about smashing those in a fit of fury.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:21 am

All a bit stupid, dont get me wrong i've been frustrated with games but i havent broken joysticks or smashed up some game.

Its obvious their parents spoilt them by buying them these games, no one in their right mind would smash up some £40 game despite how annoying it is ! Nowadays you would trade it in or sell it on ebay, before that if your parents bought you some games for Xmas etc you wouldnt smash it up.

Must be an 'american' thing to do as its so OTT !

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:32 am

I once destroyed a Cotton Eye Joe CD, but a game?? No chance.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:42 am

um.. I think some people here are overreacting juuuuust a little bit here. They're just games at the end of the day, small lumps of plastic which really don't mean a great deal when you look at the big picture. It's obvious this threads just a little bit of fun! :roll:

I can only think of one game, that was Tekken 4. Done out of sheer frustration lol and I broke the DVD in my hands, probably not a greatest idea as I cut my thumb down to the bone, owch. So, not a great idea!
Last edited by C=Style on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:47 am

I've chucked out a fair number of old PC/DOS games on floppy disc or CD over the years. It was mostly either corrupted media or shovelware of no resale value though. I wouldn't dream of smashing up a game that still worked and I, or someone else on my behalf, had paid good money for; certainly not whilst there was a chance that I could swap it or sell it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:50 am

Red Ninja -
I kind put my fist through the PS2

I used to really lose it a few years back.

I accedently crushed my copy of shadow warrior the other day under the wheels of my monitor stand.

Gutted on that one

Tank

Post by Tank » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 am

Am I missing something ? were NES games really £40 back in the 80's? :shock: IIRC games back then had no resale value, retro gaming wasn't like it is now, unless people are seeing this as recent, still it would be barbaric in my books anyway, the only thing I destroyed was Barry Mcguigan for the speccy, but that was because the tape deck ate it alive.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:42 am

I once picked a fight with a copy of Last Battle on the MegaDrive... smashed the b@stard to smitherines, until my knuckles bled. censored game.

station

Post by station » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:49 am

Taken many discs out and launched them at the wall. It really is nothing to get concerned about, it's not like burning a book (unless it's Jordan's new biography).

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:54 am

Got a Megadrive Fifa for 5p and stamped on it in front of these Chav's.. My friend put it under the wheel of his car and drove over it so funny..

I Smashed a Playstation 2 pad on Shannon (Woman Form)on God of War she must quite possibly be the hardest boss.. Her Demon form was easy.. Also smashed a PS2 pad on Shinobi that blind guy who killed you in one hit if you touched the water.. And if you didn't attack him your life ridiculous :roll:
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:56 am

When I was about 7/8 I was given a copy of Super Breakout on the Atari VCS. However, everytime I switched it on... I just got some coloured lines and couldn't start the bloody thing. Joystick didn't work etc, I just thought it was duff and stabbed the thing with a screwdriver several times to put holes into it. Of course, at the time I had never heard of "Paddle controls" :oops:

What is worse is that a little later, I took it with me to a bootfair and someone picked it up and said "Are you sure it works?" and I said yes, when it didn't, and they bought it for a quid. I was very young and stupid at the time - and felt guilt :)

These days i'd rather give stuff away or sell rather than smash them.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com