Did you ever write games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Graedient

Re: Did you ever write games?

Post by Graedient » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:38 am

I wrote a diskmag interface in AMOS for the Amiga back in the day, never released it though. Fun learning experience.
Youtube | Trades & Sales | Twitter | Wanted: Super Pang (SNES) [Cart Only]

Andykiwi

Post by Andykiwi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:50 am

I have just downloaded the MESS emulator and the ROMS for the ZX80 and Spectrum.
They work ...but a modern PC keyboard doesn't seem to work very well for it.
What's the best solution to knowing what keys will do what? Does anyone know?

Andykiwi

Post by Andykiwi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:40 am

I have found out how to see how the keys are mapped (and change them if necessary).
I also got the ROMs for the C64, which I think is a much easier old PC to use in emulation.

...I'm having fun now, reviving my program writing days as a teen. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 pm

If you're programming in BASIC on a Spectrum via emulation, its probably better to use one of the 128k systems as they allow single letter entry instead of the keyword system. Everything else works much the same from the language side, with a few extra commands (which can be very useful) to deal with the extra memory and audio enhancements. 48k programs will still work due to the common language.

The C64 has horrendously limited BASIC that pretty much forces you down the route of learning machine code to do anything useful. Great system to learn assembly language for, not so good as a BASIC system unless you use one of the 3rd party apps.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Andykiwi

Post by Andykiwi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks for the advice, Antiriad2097.

The main reason for me trying the old PCs again is just to refresh my memory of what they were like.

...But you got me thinking about how advanced "BASIC" has got over the years, so I have been doing some research...
I found a free BASIC for Windows which I have just downloaded and am trying out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBASIC

I have written my first short program to test it ...and it ran OK, so that's a start.
It will be interesting to see how much I can do with this... :)

Graedient

Post by Graedient » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:37 pm

You should check out BlitzBasic (http://www.blitzbasic.com/) not free unfortunately but I've heard very good things about it! There is also DarkBasic (http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/) again not free but apparently very good.

They've got trials available I think.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:00 pm

as requested heres some shots and sprites..

In and arround the same time as CORE i was also on a personal project with a close colleague at the time (as analyst / programmers) arround 1994 but now i tihnk of it it was more mid 1995.

any my friend, was absolutley obsesed with startrek... infact i think he secretly had a uniform and some fake ears if you know what i mean LOL

he was a great bloke but anyway... his main skill was in AI (well prologue) (AI back then not the AI that is way more complicated today LOL) it was over lunch that this project started and he wanted an iso-metric Star Trek the Next Generation game that would include mission like one would see UFO or Space Crusade.

anyway.. I got some scraps of paper with some drawings and some calculations for sizes etc and Jezz was kinda enough to give me 2 jobs LOL one write the display routines (wich are easy back to front ordering) and 2 make the editor (wich i think i still have some where ) this is ontop of ALL the graphics work..

I was give a handfull of floppy disks with some stuff he had done... infact when i got to check it out, it was just cutouts of UFO sprites... so i did what i could with them... infact i was particulary pleased with the borg. but hey... i am sure i have a page of aliens too... romulan / klingon etc...

anyways here is a mock of a level... of STNG: Starfleet Operations

The above is a simple 8x8 grid, the game was destined to be in a scalable hi-res-laced (zoom-in / out ) feature so i think it went to 25x25 tiles by 4 levels onscreen ... some of the work i remeber looked pretty good... but alas it was never realised wich was a shame... but it was a fun couple of months...

anyways its been ... ohhh 10-15 years since i have even spoked to my friend (he moved of to the middle east late 96) so I figured I would post the big sprite base that i had....

whom knows it may bring a smile to your face :)

Anyway, a little more on CORE

Around 94 - 96 i did some freelance graphics work, since i mangaged to have a chat with the chap a couple of years ago now, that commisioned the work, and although the project failed (due to the lead programming *problems* apparently) anyways i asked if i could release some work that I had done and i got the go ahead...

So i give you the detail insofar as i got it... believe me my design brief was... brief!

so the first i will lump you all with was a dungeon crawler / hired guns-esq game. The project was called CORE... it was a while ago.

I was to design environments, the brief was mars-like industrial so anyways heres a few shots, if anyones interested theres a whole work log of it.. including masks / cutters etc etc...

I was pretty much given the texture to use and thats about the only thing LOL.

ahh theres a mockup of the environment

The brief was very skimpy in the fact all i had was a maxium colour depth of 64 colours and obviously a screen size (hence the black) there was a french chap i believe whom was building or developing the gui / interface.

Heres the environment tile sets.

and i know... i was playing arround i couldn`t help it... i even put some doom graphics on it for fun

well thats a little selection, theres arround 30 odd images including frame-work and builds, tools masks and even more textures...

if anyone wants pm me and i can sort out a the whole lot... it might help or inspire... or just make you chuckles...

=)

Graedient

Post by Graedient » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:55 pm

Zetr0 wrote:as requested heres some shots and sprites..
Very nice indeed!

Were you involved in the Amiga scene at all?

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Graedient wrote:
You should check out BlitzBasic (http://www.blitzbasic.com/) not free unfortunately but I've heard very good things about it! There is also DarkBasic (http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/) again not free but apparently very good.

They've got trials available I think.
i'm a registered Blitz Max user, and i recommend this product or service...

No seriously, it's able to do some pretty cool stuff and for 2D in particular there's some fantastic commands - the explosions in this screenshot are all generated just using the built-in graphics features:

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Hm... I made some homebrew games for the PSP.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I have done a few games over the years:

1) A whole bunch of really crappy text-based quiz games in BASIC on the Apple IIe

2) A really horrible skiing game in BASIC on the Apple IIe - made even more awesome by my complete lack of art skills

3) A handful of card games in Visual Basic 6 - blackjack, Concentration, Pyramid, etc; nothing great but they worked and taught me the VB6 environment

4) A remake of Tetris in VB6 - by far, my best game, with background music, decent graphics, a high score board, etc. Took me forever to do because I couldn't figure out how to check for completed rows. Did eventually conquer that :)

It should be noted that I have no clue what I'm doing so my stuff is wildly inefficient and sloppy, LOL.

I've got Game Maker and a copy of "The Game Maker's Apprentice" and have played with that a bit. My goal is to do a remake of the Beagle Bros game "IO Silver" in Game Maker. I've got the sprite and animation cells for the main character and can push a block around but not even close to being an actual game yet. Some day!

Great topic,
Tabe

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:38 pm

I've managed to get Game Maker, as well. So far, I've done a sprite of Bruce Lee......and thats it. Its not even a good one :(
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:02 am

Graedient wrote:
Zetr0 wrote:as requested heres some shots and sprites..
Very nice indeed!

Were you involved in the Amiga scene at all?
Thanks for the kinds words, I am a little touched :oops:

insofar as the miggy scene, I was into BBS's scene back in the day, with raging £500 phone bills LOL!!!

but with exception of some music scores, I didn't get that involved with established groups... a lot of them were about getting somthing out quick quick quick, and thats just to demanding LOL...