Did you ever write games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Andykiwi

Did you ever write games?

Post by Andykiwi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:57 pm

If you had an old PC like a ZX81, C64, Atari 800XL, etc you had a PC with the BASIC programming language built in and you had the chance to write your own games. Did any of you do that ...or maybe change the code of games you got?

I wrote games in BASIC for my ZX80 and Atari800XL (but I didn't distribute them to anyone else).
I also enjoyed looking at the code of other BASIC games if I could and maybe changing them to see if I could "improve" on the game-play. :mrgreen:

necronom

Re: Did you ever write games?

Post by necronom » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:14 am

Yep. Not all games though.

On my Amiga I wrote a horse racing betting game, a fishing game, a "tanks shooting over mountains" game, a copy of a game called Nightmare Park, an Aliens Quiz game, an Aliens Sentry Gun simulation program, a Golf score recording program for when I went to a local 12 hole course, and probably a few others. Oh, and I started a 3D first person (moving in blocks, not real 3D) thing.

I also did a Stock Control program for my A-Level. I was told it should probably be something original, as something like a stock control program has been done to death. :? I went ahead regardless, and re-created an existing commercially available program, and got the top score in the class for the programming part :)
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:43 am

I wanted to, but never had the mind to understand coding - I used to do graphic mockups on the speccy using plot and draw commands, until I got a mouse and art package for it, then on the amiga I'd design sprite sheets in deluxe paint and do the music in octamed. I'd hack my own graphics and music into games the best I could.

Weird this, just five minutes ago I was talking to the guy next to me about this and he was telling me he used to have PD stuff published on Amiga Power coverdisks.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:09 am

'games': now, I just did!
:mrgreen:

bad jokes apart, when I was around 10 years old I worte some short multiple answer crappy text adventure games in Basic on the C64. The longest one I was writing was zapped by a blackout before I could save it, so I guess this was a sign by God. Maybe that's why I've become a chemist instead of a games programmer... :wink:

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:34 am

I ploughed through the BASIC manuals on the ZX*1 and Speccy, learnt a lot from there...also typing in Sinclair Programs lisstings, and seeing how they worked, then altering the graphics, making them harder etc. Loads of fun!

I also made database type stuff for GCSE /A-Level Computing Science, seem to remember a video shop management program, written in Basic on the BEEB when I was 16 too.

Oh, and when I was about 10, I wrote some educational software and took it to a software house in my home town, they seemed quite excited by it, until I tried to load it and....it wouldn't.

And that's how I learnt not to keep my tapes on top of my portable telly.

CHRIST I'M OLD.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:26 am

Erm... one or two, yes, and i still do. =-)

Sturoboros

Post by Sturoboros » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:06 am

I'd never dipped my toes into coding, but i had about half a dozen books of graph paper literally FULL of Dizzy games i'd designed. Can't quite remember what age i was at the time but i was very young at the time. Never really planned to do anything with them until a couple of years back when Microsoft launched the XNA service...only to get a letter from Codemasters' legal eagles shooting me down haha

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:29 am

I sure did. Had an Atari 1200XL and Basic, used to buy Antic magazine with type-in games and then modify them. But also made some pure Basic games (with all the color limitations, ugh!) and I must say I tweaked them enough that they were fun for a while. One was a maze game with a little dragon collecting randomly placed hearts. Each maze was randomly created. The dragon had 3 'roars' which would destroy blocks in the area surrounding him. The other game was with torpedoes falling down the screen. If you missed one, it would do one of four things as a penalty (basically creating walls and obstacles for you to have to maneuver around). Think Centipede meets Kaboom. Anyway, I'm pretty this activity led to my being a computer science major and my career as a programmer (not a games programmer).

Red_Avatar

Post by Red_Avatar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:06 am

I used to use Klik & Play and Games Factory to make some basic games. I've had some great plans for games but lacked the time and support to get them finished.

One idea was to make a Dizzy-inspired Magnum PI adventure where you had to solve cases using items you found lying around. I made the sprites for Thomas Magnum, the Chopper from TC and a bunch of other things, but I gave up because the prospect of doing everything was very daunting.
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect! ~Owens Lee Pomeroy

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:10 am

Thats cool. I would love to make a magnum game - good call on the dizzy style - you should finish it.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:59 am

Yeah,

Was on a YTS scheme in the 80's at a place called SCITEC (Scunthorpe Information Technology Centre) they had a electronics class, computers which consisted of BBc's and Apricots and an admin section (office work word processors etc)

My 1st and only stab was writing a Lunar Lander game on a BBC, which was crap as my collision detection was ropey (at best) not good when your ship blows up for no apparent reason! I can still remember the comments from the tutor...

The screen display looks pretty however, nothing much actually happens!

I tried to redeem myself by writing a Mastermind game, this actually worked and I was dead chuffed with it, but they wanted the lander game to work.

In my 1st job I did write a MS Basic app to generate glass and PVC sizes for custom window frames (worked in a window factory), this worked a real treat, as there was a difference of .5mm between my sizes and when the factory lads worked them out by hand!

Andykiwi

Post by Andykiwi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:18 pm

yakmag wrote:...I tried to redeem myself by writing a Mastermind game, this actually worked and I was dead chuffed with it...
That's a game that I wrote a few versions of too. I made some super-challenging ones where you could have all 26 letters of the alphabet instead of just a few colours ...and also up to 10 of them instead of just 4-5.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Wow...

Zetr0 sets "The Way Back Machine" to "WAYYYYYY BACK"

I was 9 and a hlaf when i wrote my first game

it was in BASIC on the ZX80, if you could call it a game .... you had a block guy jumping over logs (that were more like blocks)

By the time I was 10 wrote a drawing program that saved the screen to tape, it was an etcha-sketch simulator lol! (but you could cheat and turn lines on or off =D, later I would make it so it could draw primative shapes like triangles and the such.

at 11 I wrote my first Spectrum game in BASIC and ASM i called it 007 Speed boating, all you did was avoid land patches, floating debris and rocks
(I remember it now like a cross between the boat part of spy hunter and something way more dreadfull LOL) it was around this time I actually completed my first adventure game, based on the Interplanatry Rebel Spy series of books (i.e turn to page xxx to see if you live or use the airlock turn to page xxx) simlar to the steve jackson / ian livingstone books that I was cuaght up with in my youth.

I was about 13 at the time I was trying to write a Platform game based on Thundercats, I spent all my day at school designing the levles on graph paper and the UDG graphics I made based on the commics.... did that for atleast 6 days... alas... as my parents spilt up the whole home life changed as such I didn't get to code or write game or app for a further 4 years....

even though there was an Amiga 500, 600 and an Atari ST in the house.

Anyway 4 years later and I am about 17 doing what all 17 year olds do..... drinking, smoking, sha.... you know what 17 year olds doo.... my sister bought me an A1200 (well part bought me), and it was then I got back into making things for games, like music, graphics... it wasn't untill I was 18 that I got back into programming, and that was in "C", at the time I was with a company called MictoTech that picked up some quilifications in C, C++ and a whole bunch of other stuff, in the time there I wrote a classic Space Invader Clone, (more like Enterprise verses Kinglon bird of prey's, A top down racing game (all on a 386 lol) using borland tubo c++ LOL!!! ahhh that was fun... but that got me back into wanting to make games,

A close friend at that company went to work in Israel, we begain writing a game for the Amiga, essentiall it was a turnbased game similar to Ufo: Enemy Unkown, but set in the Startrek universe.... I have some picturesof the artwork /sprites some where if anyones interested.

anyway in an arround this time I wrote some utils like a dungon mapping program, databases etc etc... I then wrote a dungeon crawler, but there was no love in it.... it was an excersise on the mechanics playing with scaling graphics, it wasnt till a lot later that I got biten to do a game based on this.

I got involved with some friends over the water in 1995/6 and was asked to do some graphic work for a futuristic dungeon crawler, it was call CORE 274, lol yes I stil have some pics and stuff that I dod for that game too, alas from what I was to believe the french chap whom was coding it disapeared... freaky...

So what do I do today... well I dont get as much time in writing games, or even writing music or creating graphics for them, I sorely miss that I have to admit, I do dabble with coding, just not a lot these days, some Sinclair stuff, and recently been playing around with PSP Home Brew thats proving fun =D

My plan is one day to go back and write a classic RGP game for the Amiga, somthing as EPIC as Final Fantasy 7 perhpas ;)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:01 pm

I've wrote a few games in AMOS Professional on the Amiga.
Quite a few people at Console Combat saw AMOSteroids :D ...... a creation I started years ago, but recently picked back up again.

Red_Avatar

Post by Red_Avatar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:01 pm

ismellicecream wrote:Thats cool. I would love to make a magnum game - good call on the dizzy style - you should finish it.
Well obviously Magnum wouldn't be jumping like Dizzy :p The idea would be to have him move around using cursor keys and having the mouse to examine objects. It would be a bit of static world like in Dizzy, with static obstacles which you'd have to overcome using the items found and using your skills.

Here's a sample of a sprite:

I might actually adapt an existing Magnum episode to fit the game - just so I don't have to write the story from scratch and can use parts of the dialogue.
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect! ~Owens Lee Pomeroy