What is the most underrated console...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sir Hilary Bray

What is the most underrated console...

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Amongst retro gamers?

I'm going to say the Nintendo 64, I was very surprised when I first joined here, there was a lot of
negativity for the console.

I remember getting it when it first came out, amongst myself and school friends, it was huge.
We'd often read the N64 magazine on our breaks, swap games with each other, take trips into town, and sell
old Super Nintendo games in Pink Planet, just to fund the cheapest N64 game we could find.

Obviously the Playstation was ruling the roost at the time, but we always had time for both.

Maybe I was lucky in the fact, that the circle of friends that I had, just so happened to favour the Nintendo 64.

Personal favourites

F-Zero X
Zelda: Ocarina of time
Goldeneye (goes without saying)
Yoshi's Story
Mario Kart (the most underrated in the series, battle mode was great fun)
Duke Nukem

My dream is to one day own a 64DD.

sscott

Re: What is the most underrated console...

Post by sscott » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:57 pm

The N64 is a great console, pleae no-one start going on about blurry graphics etc...
I would add Wave Race to that list.

For me, most underrated console would be the Colecovision, many great arcade ports (Zaxxon, Mr. Do!, Donkey Kong etc...) at the time, I owned one in '83 and happily survived without a computer for several years...

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm going to have to say it: 3DO.

The criticisms squared at the console and its game library are largely unfair and it's impact on every console since it's release are under estimated.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:08 pm

I'd say Atari 2600. The grand-daddy of gaming , it seems to me that many retro gamers consider it even too retro for them , when in fact it has some of the most breath-takingly addictive games available for it. Seems that Darran has some love for the machine , as a few 2600 games have featured in Retro-revival sections of the mag.

Frostbite , Keystone Kapers and Atlantis (to name but 3) I think stand up to modern gaming standards , and as Darran mentioned in this month's RG , Combat is of the best 2 player games ever.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:19 pm

I'd vote for the Gamecube. I'm not talking about the software because let's face it, there were some killer games for the system but it couldn't match the PS2/Xbox for multi-platform releases.

I'm talking about the hardware itself. It may not have been the case everywhere but most people I talked games with during that generation were of the impression that the Gamecube was technically inferior to its rivals and that it couldn't compete graphically. Anybody that's played Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime or Twilight Princess knows that that isn't true at all.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 pm

The game.com, yeah. It brought me enough happiness for a couple of years until I got a Neo Geo Pocket, being strangely anti-Game Boy in my youth. I finished Batman & Robin on it, and had a good time doing it.

Other than that, the 3DO for me, too.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:24 pm

I would have said 2600 then Gamecube (Which I have only owned for the last year)

But they are already covered so I need say no more except for the SMS which was the first console I bought myself and I guess was underrated compared to the NES.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:I'd vote for the Gamecube. I'm not talking about the software because let's face it, there were some killer games for the system but it couldn't match the PS2/Xbox for multi-platform releases.

I'm talking about the hardware itself. It may not have been the case everywhere but most people I talked games with during that generation were of the impression that the Gamecube was technically inferior to its rivals and that it couldn't compete graphically. Anybody that's played Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime or Twilight Princess knows that that isn't true at all.
I thought most people were aware that the GC was the most powerful of the three: GC, PS2 and Xbox?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm

will2097 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I'd vote for the Gamecube. I'm not talking about the software because let's face it, there were some killer games for the system but it couldn't match the PS2/Xbox for multi-platform releases.

I thought most people were aware that the GC was the most powerful of the three: GC, PS2 and Xbox?
That's not the way I always heard it. I was forever surrounded by people saying "Gamecube games look crap" etc. Mind you, this was back in my later school/6th form days. I don't think that most people understood the true potential of the GC though. It wasn't until Resident Evil 4 (and it's subsequent inferior PS2 conversion) that people really stood up and took notice.

I always felt that it was underrated in an overall sense like it was viewed as silly to even own one when the PS2 was around.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Hmmm... this is a toughie. Out of consoles I'd have to say Game Cube or Colecovision. However when it comes to gaming platforms in general, I say it's the PC's that had a LOT of influence on the modern game market. After all, that's where Doom, Fallout and Command & Conquer originated from. Such a shame that these days a PC is often not considered a gaming platform by many.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:06 pm

This is a no brainer. The engine by a country mile. Maybe not by the people who played on it. But by the people who marketed it. One of the biggest gaming faux pa's in history was the non euro release of this monster of a console.

Things would be very different today.

Eat your nans pants

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again; The Sega Saturn. It's the unsung hero. A true beast of a gaming machine.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:50 pm

FlyHighKid wrote:Hmmm... this is a toughie. Out of consoles I'd have to say Game Cube or Colecovision. However when it comes to gaming platforms in general, I say it's the PC's that had a LOT of influence on the modern game market. After all, that's where Doom, Fallout and Command & Conquer originated from. Such a shame that these days a PC is often not considered a gaming platform by many.

Good call with Colecovision. Great console, infact one of the few consoles I wish I owned
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Funny not calling the Dreamcast underrated console?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:58 pm

resident paul wrote:Funny not calling the Dreamcast underrated console?

Underrated , but not amongst retro gamers.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"