Take part to a study: The Greatest Game Innovations!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

K. Alha

Take part to a study: The Greatest Game Innovations!

Post by K. Alha » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:44 am

What is the game that blew your mind because it was so innovative and fresh? How about the best innovations from each decade of the history of games? Cool graphics from 80's, greatest gameplay improvements in 1990?

Fill out this form to let us know!

I am working on my master’s thesis on game innovations at the University of Tampere, Finland. As a part of the thesis, I am gathering game innovations throughout the history of digital games. One part is to ask the players what games or features they see innovative and why.

I would highly appreciate if you could fill out the form. You don’t have to be a hardcore or a veteran player to participate.

I would also ask not to directly comment or answer on this discussion, so as not to influence other people’s answers. If you have any questions or comments, please send me an e-mail at kati.alha(at)gmail.com.

Thank you, your answers are much appreciated!

ismellicecream

Re: Take part to a study: The Greatest Game Innovations!

Post by ismellicecream » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 am

Counter spam: Read my blog, I am working on something that is related to this in the coming weeks.

K. Alha

Post by K. Alha » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Hey, I ordered the feed and try to read the blog when I have a bit more time on my hands. Perhaps in the meantime you could consider filling the query?

Still haven't had nearly enough answers, and lack answers especially from this site. I would really like to have different types of gamers for my study, and I think retro gamers would be important for this kind of study, even more so for me personally, being a collector and a fan of older games myself. Thank you in advance for all who could take the time to answer!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Maybe if you contribute a bit to the forum first, then people will be more inclined to help you out?

K. Alha

Post by K. Alha » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:15 pm

SirClive wrote:Maybe if you contribute a bit to the forum first, then people will be more inclined to help you out?
I understand your point, it's just I haven't used forums that much, and actually just found this one while looking for suitable forums to post the link to. I'll try to be more active in the future, though, and took and posted some pictures of our game collection already.

K. Alha

Post by K. Alha » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:39 am

Just a reminder for the weekend, that I still need more answers for my study. If you'll be kind enough and spend a few minutes filling this form, I would be very glad!

Have a good weekend you all!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:49 pm

This form, is, quite frankly, censored. What it says to me is this: I cannot be bothered to do any research, I'm on the first year of a gaming related degree, and I'd appreciate it if people who cared about the subject matter would provide me with some pointers, as I am only here because my parents are rich enough to pay and pretentious enough not to care.

To which I say this: If you cannot be bothered and you aren't really interested in the subject matter, why don't you quit uni and go do something more valuable: Bin man for example. Stop wasting tax payers money on stuff you are not interested in because you think it will make you middle class/buy you a sports car get you NEXT gold card.

If you think I'm filling your 'pathetic' form in, you can go f**k yourself.

3DOkid.

(PS: That's how you do unfriendly properly ;) )

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:51 pm

will2097 wrote:This form, is, quite frankly, censored. What it says to me is this: I cannot be bothered to do any research, I'm on the first year of a gaming related degree, and I'd appreciate it if people who cared about the subject matter would provide me with some pointers, as I am only here because my parents are rich enough to pay and pretentious enough not to care.

To which I say this: If you cannot be bothered and you aren't really interested in the subject matter, why don't you quit uni and go do something more valuable: Bin man for example. Stop wasting tax payers money on stuff you are not interested in because you think it will make you middle class/buy you a sports car / get you a NEXT gold card.

If you think I'm filling your 'pathetic' form in, you can go f**k yourself.

3DOkid.

(PS: That's how you do unfriendly properly ;) )

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:44 pm

I do tend to agree, hence me not filling in the form for you.

If you are serious about what you are studying for, then make the effort. I know someone whose girlfriend wrote all of his degree essays for him, and I think he's a bit of a censored for it and hope he falls flat on his face.

Why dont you research innovation, write a list of what you think is innovative and why, then ask for opinions and feedback on your findings.

K. Alha

Post by K. Alha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Thanks for the critic, though I would have preferred something more constructive than just complete disdain of what I'm doing. I am not sure if I didn't make the purpose of the form clear enough? This IS part of my research, and I am not using the responces to do the thinking for me. I AM doing (and have done) research both on innovation and game history, and this form's responces are used to chart out players' views on the matter. How else to find out what players think than to ask from players themselves? I could have written a list and my views of innovation and asked opinions on those, but I think that would have guided the responses too much to a certain direction, and some views could have been left uncovered, neither would it been possible to see if some of "my" innovations were left out by the players.

K. Alha

Post by K. Alha » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:56 am

NIce Sunday to all! I still need answers from players to complete my thesis' source material, so please take a few moments to complete the form. Thank you!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:22 am

will2097 wrote:Stop wasting tax payers money
'lol'

K. Alha

Post by K. Alha » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:41 pm

Happy Halloween to all! Since I'm using mine working on my thesis, I would like to ask you to help by taking part to the study (if you haven't already done so). The questions are open, so no limitations! Just think games, features, technologies etc. which you think are innovative and explain shortly why.

I'll use the answers to chart out game players' views on game innovations. The answers are very important to me, and despite the critic (and a private apology afterwards) I've had am taking the study seriously. Each and every filled form is valuable to me; you don't have to fill every spot, just as many as you feel like to.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:30 pm

Not wishing to appear rude, but had you followed the forums, not just this one, then you would have a pretty sweet idea of what we gamers feel are innovations.We feel more comfortable sharing thoughts/views and opinions in a friendly chit chat type way than filling in a form.The answers you seek, are already contained within these very pages.

We discuss pretty much everything on here, on a daily basis.But for me, personally? filling in a form is a no-go, do enough of that at work.

You would as my fellow posters have said, have been better to approach this from a totally different angle-I.E for your 1st/opening post on here, started a thread on the innovations you`d found over the years.Why they were special to you, the difference they made to a game, how they could be expanded on, what you`d like to see in the future. How Hardware could bring about new innovations on existing and up coming platforms.

I wish you all the very best with your studies, but Form filling? what next? people asking for their tax returns/Return to work forms etc to be filled in? :wink:

Have no doubt you are serious about your study.all you need to do, is restructure the way you go about obtaining the information.

Hope this has come across as constructive, but your point about:
I could have written a list and my views of innovation and asked opinions on those, but I think that would have guided the responses too much to a certain direction, and some views could have been left uncovered, neither would it been possible to see if some of "my" innovations were left out by the players.
Just does`nt hold water. Filling in a form would have covered all views then? or NOT guided them in a specified direction? They are pretty specific questions.What and Why, basically.

Only degree i have is in common sense, from school of hard knocks :lol: , but just feel you need a fresh approach here.

K. Alha

Post by K. Alha » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi, and thank you for the feedback! I understand filling in the forms can be troublesome, especially when they have open questions in them. Still I wish more people would take the time. This has been (and continues to be) valuable learning for me as well, but as the choices have been already been made, I have to stand behind them. After all, master's thesis is still a lot about learning, and a first big study we do on our own. So I hope you will help me to gather the required material. Other material I already have, but as said, I would really like to have the player's view included.
thevulture wrote:You would as my fellow posters have said, have been better to approach this from a totally different angle-I.E for your 1st/opening post on here, started a thread on the innovations you`d found over the years.Why they were special to you, the difference they made to a game, how they could be expanded on, what you`d like to see in the future. How Hardware could bring about new innovations on existing and up coming platforms.
Ah, this was the approach I would have originally preferred, so I understand your view completely. But after discussing it with my project manager (for which I'm writing my thesis for) and my instructor, they saw the approach too much resource-taking. If I would do the study for personal interest only I would probably do just that, and could probably make some nice conclusions about it, but because I have to analyze the results properly for the thesis, the analysis would have been too much (concidering I already have other materials as interviews and literature to analyze). And this is not about taking the easy way but because of the schedule I have. So I had to "settle" for the form approach, and wish to have enough responses to draw the conclusions from them.