Paper Boy - The Conversions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Paper Boy - The Conversions

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:52 am

I'm a big fan of the Master System effort

Havantgottaclue

Re: Paper Boy - The Conversions

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:56 am

The only version I've played so far is the C64 version, and not very much. A quick trip to Lemon 64 reminds me that it looks horrible.

Must try the Master System version, it looks pretty good!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Yep definately the master system for me too, I find it's the easiest one to pick up and play, and therefore more enjoyable than the megadrive or arcade versions.

The NES conversion is so bad its almost funny.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:54 pm

The spectrum version is brilliant. It's black background and grim graphics remind me of getting up at 6am and doing a round in the dark before schoo,l in a cold and rainy Manchester suberb!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:33 pm

I`d go for Master system effort as well.Really good job of capturing the essence of the game.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:42 pm

I thought the Lynx version was a pretty decent stab at it. Graphics were good too.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Apart from the arcade version the only other one i've spent anytime on is on the Spectrum , me and a mate went halves on it , flew back to his house and when we got over the shock of the tiny play area and monochrome graphics (we also played it on a b & w tv) , we found it to be just as much fun as the arcade , we actually wrote down everytime we started a game so that we could work out whether we would have spent more in the arcades than the £7.95 it had cost us , sounds silly now but that was part of the charm of buying a fresh arcade game back then.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:32 pm

The dodgy handheld thing I bought at the market has a version on it - but god knows which one - may NES?? (all the writing is in Chinese I think). OK - I'll vote for 'Dodgy Possible Chinese Nes knock-off 'as the best.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Purely from a nostalgic perspective, I'll have to go with the C64. Simply because it was the only home version I had as a kid.

With emulation, I realy like the Master System version, its nice and colourful.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:39 am

The C64 version isn't too bad and does capture the feel of the arcade - but none of the conversions are great IMO, but its down to the lack of handlebars for me
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:13 pm

Commodore 16 version is the worst version... by a long way.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:39 pm

The CPC version is quite respectable; it's got decent graphics and plays quite nicely too. It's just a shame that they didn't manage to get any sound into it.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:21 pm

I didn't even realise I had the CPC version. It's on a compilation tape, Best of Elite Vol. 2, which I got as part of a job lot a couple of years ago. It's been sat around in a plastic storage box until today.

First thing was that it took at least 10 minutes to load, which is unusual for an Amstrad game - obviously this isn't a turbo load. I was quite pleased about that because for a cassette that's over 20 years old it's probably more reliable if it doesn't use a turboload.

The graphics are nice and bright, and although it's not particularly smooth, it runs at a good speed and the controls are responsive. However, space is a little cramped; although I suppose that is part of the challenge, the Master System version does seem to have a bit more room.

Had a couple of goes; first time I didn't get to the end of the first level and scored 4,200. Second time around, I got to the second level and found that space was extremely tight and I lost my remaining 3 lives in no time at all. I was surprised to see that my score was 4,800, only 600 more than in my previous go - no bonus for reaching the end of the level, presumably because I didn't get through the obstacle course. How tight is that?! :lol:

Unfortunately that was my lot for CPC Paperboy. It's quite a good conversion but the screen area just feels a little too cramped. Besides, I have Bomb Jack 2 on the same compilation, so I'm going to give that a try now ...
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Just rolled back the years on the C64 version. It features drab grey streets and a blocky paperboy dressed in a blue coat and brown trousers. To be fair, you'd have brown trousers too if you were riding through streets full of ill-defined but fast-moving and lethal objects roughly resembling people, runaway wheels and buggies. It took until my third go to get as far as Tuesday, and even then I only had 3 customers remaining. When I got to Tuesday on the CPC version I still had most of my customers, which suggests that it gives you a little more margin for error with aiming the papers. I felt you had to be dead accurate with the C64 version, which is a real pain when there's so much else to concentrate on. My remaining two lives were quickly polished off on Tuesday by a chunky little black dog and something that trashed me before it even got onto the screen.

However, it could get worse - there's a Commodore 16 version, and I'm betting that it's not too hot ...

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:01 am

Just got the Master System version through the post this morning, along with Marble Madness, Golden Axe and The Terminator - 9 quid for the four, which I thought was reasonable.

First thing that had to be done was dispense with the Master System Contol Pad in favour of a Megadrive one - I found it too easy to hit the diagonals by mistake with the standard MS controller. Having made the switch to the MD pad I got through to Wednesday before running out of lives. Still only scored 6250 though - strange really that there isn't some sort of level multiplier, to compensate for having fewer houses to deliver to (if you lose customers, like I do) and for the higher number of hazards.

Nevertheless, this one does have a bit more 'one more go' factor, which I felt was missing from the C64 and (to a lesser extent) CPC versions.