New Super Mario Bros.. Anyone playing it yet?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:44 am

:shock:

Me wantee!!!

:D :D :D
真・豪鬼

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:24 am

Yes it's great. I'm a platformer nut so having New Super Mario Bros. along with Sonic Rush, Super Princess Peach and Kirby Power Paintbrush makes me very happy ^__^. I have Yoshi's Island 2 and the new Kirby game to look forward to as well! Having a DS rules!

Jazzem

Post by Jazzem » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:04 pm

Yep, I have it, and absolutely love it. I constantly come back to the old Mario 2Ds, so it's lovely to have a new one to plough through :D I'm deliberately going through it slowly though, I hate completing games so quickly after buying them.

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:40 pm

YOu guys have convinced me. I'm off for the weekend with only my DS to entertain me so i'm off to buy a copy of NSMB tomorrow 8)
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

mel the bell

Re:

Post by mel the bell » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:28 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:YOu guys have convinced me. I'm off for the weekend with only my DS to entertain me so i'm off to buy a copy of NSMB tomorrow 8)
youll need more than a weekend :P

took me about a month to complete (minus the extra bits) mind u i was mostly only playing it during my dinner breaks at work - 45 minutes)
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 pm

I unlocked worlds 2 and 7 yesterday so I'm almost done. I just need to collect the remaining star coins now.
Giving it 100%, 60% of the time.

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:44 am

OK, so i spent a few hours playing this over the weekend and got to world 5 I think.

It's great fun and I love some of the things they've been able to do with a 2D game that couldn't be done on lesser machines. The level design is good, although a little frustrating sometimes (not in a good way) and there's a new concept of some description in every level so they've clearly spent a lot of time thinking up good ideas.

However, the problem is that there's clearly a lot of stuff that I haven't collected and levels I've missed, but I just don't care! The game just doesn't make me want to explore and go back and find everything.

I've said it in the other thread already but I really think that mario is better in 3D, 64 and sunshine made you want to explore, I could run around for ages looking for hidden platforms, trying new things and I just had to complete every red coin challenge (which are crap in NSMB) , I just don't get that from NSMB, I just want to get to the end of the level so I can finish it.

I'll get about 8 hours of gaming from NSMB where I got over 40 hours each from 64 and sunshine so I feel a bit ripped off paying £29.99 for it. Still there'll be a cheap copy for sale on my site in about a week when I get fed up with it :)

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:48 am

Oh i forgot to mention, the other reason I had to keep putting NSMB down was that I also took polarium away for the weekend with me and it really is a fantastic game, managed to unlock about 80 of the 100 puzzles over the weekend and I can't wait to finish the other 20. Best puzzle game i've played for ages.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:00 pm

I finished this the weekend it came out (that was without getting to the two secret worlds though!!) but haven't been disappointed with it as I keep going back to it to look for the odd secret exit and star coin that I've missed, and also, it's just bloody good fun to play. :D

I don't understand all these people who keep saying it's too short and easy, they obviously aren't bothering to explore the levels properly and find everything. The older 2D Mario games weren't particularly 'difficult' either, don't forget.

It's kind of like the people who knocked Yoshi's Story on the N64 for being too easy without playing it to find all the secret melons and extra levels methinks. Why bother paying good money for a game you aren't going to play to it's full potential?

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:16 am

I finally bought this yesterday and I think it's very good. I'm up to world 4 now but I've only found 1 hidden level. How do you gain access to the other 'hidden' stages on the map? I thought you had to collect all 3 big star coins, but that doesn't always work?

miner2049er

Re:

Post by miner2049er » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:07 am

Kaede wrote:I finally bought this yesterday and I think it's very good. I'm up to world 4 now but I've only found 1 hidden level. How do you gain access to the other 'hidden' stages on the map? I thought you had to collect all 3 big star coins, but that doesn't always work?
Some levels have more than one exit.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:20 pm

I got this yesterday and I'm up to World 5, I'm really enjoying it.

I'm trying to find all the coins but sometimes you don't get the right power up(Mini-Mario) to get to them, so you have to go back and play it again. I haven't had so much fun in a platformer since I first plugged Super Mario World into my Snes 14 years ago!

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 pm

Finished it at work yesterday

fantastic game!
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Mad Gerald

Post by Mad Gerald » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:23 am

Finished it on the train this morning!! Yaaaayy...

Now, to find the missing coins.

Officially a crap gamer - but one that works for SEGA

pompeysimon

Re:

Post by pompeysimon » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:32 pm

Mad Gerald wrote:Finished it !! Yaaaayy...

Now, to find the missing coins.
yaaaaaaaaayyy me too took me two months mind playing not very often!!!! easy to pick up and complete! but as previous people have said bosses too easy at times!!