Commodore CDTV

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

James A

Commodore CDTV

Post by James A » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Anybody know much about these? Saw one today at a carboot sale, first time i've ever seen one. Are they worth picking up and are there any good games for them?

TMR

Re: Commodore CDTV

Post by TMR » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:43 pm

James A wrote:Anybody know much about these? Saw one today at a carboot sale, first time i've ever seen one. Are they worth picking up and are there any good games for them?
Essentially, the Commodore Dynamic Total Vision is just a Kick 1.3 Amiga 500 in there with a caddy-based CDROM drive bolted in and it's pretty easy to connect a keyboard (if memory serves it uses the same DIN connector as an Amiga 2000 but it's been a while) and external floppy drive to act as DF0:. Commodore pitched it as one of those fabled "convergeance" devices where the Amiga became a home appliance that even non-computing people would be interested in - they pushed this point so hard that retailers had to agree to keep display units over a certain distance from other Amiga kit!

As for gaming, there wasn't much that was CDTV specific apart from extented intros on existing games and a few previews from Psygnosis that i don't remember bearing fruit; the only stand-alone CDTV (and A500 with A570) only game i remember of note was Psycho Killer a brave but foolhardy attempt at putting a sort-of-FMV game on the kit - the action was a series of HAM stills and grainy, 16 colour animations the player had to react to and it's only selling point was some of the more... unusual terms the player's avatar came out with during the game.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:43 am

The CDTV's keyboard is the same design as the Amiga 3000/4000 keyboard but in black. As mentioned it was possible to attach a floppy drive (external) and it was Amiga 500 based exept it had the ECS chipset (only had the small Agnus chip) instead of OCS - if my memory serves me correctly.

It had a modified version of the Kickstart 1.3 ROM. The "Amiga Workbench" disc prompt was replaced with the rather "bluey" CDTV logo screen that turned RED if the disc failed to boot, but more imprtantly they made another "odd" modification. If you boot an AmigaDOS disk on a Kick1.3 Amiga the AmigaDOS screen appears pretty rapidly, before said program/game loads. Commodore didn't want this behaviour so they made a modification that shows a black screen with a white CDTV logo in the centre appear where the AmigaDOS screen would normally, but this has to be removed with one of the commands on the CD (this is well documented in the Amiga CDTV / CD32 developers kit). If you don't remove the logo in your Startup-Sequence and the program/game uses the AmigaDOS screen (SimCity is a good example) then the game will not appear, you'll be stuck with the CDTV logo, this doesn't happen when booted from floppy/hard drive.

The CDTV has FMV capabilities, CD-G capabiolities (Karaoke CD's), Video-CD playback (via FMV). Some have Genlocking Hardware (enables you to overlay computer graphics on top of TV)

For lots of info ..... google it. There are plenty of web-sites about the CDTV. Also a CDTV-CR (a.k.a. CDTV-II) existed but only reached prototype stage, it had a tray-load CD drive (no caddies), an LED screen & an internal floppy drive.

If you do get a CDTV, watch out for the Mouse & Joystick ports, they are different to the usual thing found on the Amigas

Also some CDTV's didn't have a modulator, this means a SCART socket (or 3x Phono sockets) are required to connect it to a TV.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:59 am

Have to say, from what you guys are saying this seems like a real white elephant of a console.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:12 am

The CDTV is definatly recommended if any of the following apply:

1. You are into Amiga stuff & want a console Amiga that is slightly more "classy" than the CD32 or Amiga 500/1200
2. You are prepared to get accessories for it (loike the floppy drive) if you want to do more than play the CDTV / Amiga CD-ROM games
3. You have some spare CD caddies hanging around - these a hard to get hold of, make sure you get caddies with the CDTV
4. You want to home-brew and/or convert some Amiga floppy games onto CD and play them from CD (Amiga CDTV developers kit may be required to get the boot files)
5. You want a nice sleek black looking Hi-Fi seperate that has the ability to play decent games !

Please remember the CDTV is NOT an AGA machine and therefore cannot play Amiga 1200/4000/CD32 games, it will play Amiga games that don't use the AGA graphics including the entire collection of Amiga 500 games released.

I love the CDTV, it's an excellent machine that gives me hours of joy, but if you get bored of playing the games, remember it can play CD-G's and Video-CD's - ultimate entertainment in a slim black box!

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:32 am

James A wrote:Anybody know much about these? Saw one today at a carboot sale, first time i've ever seen one. Are they worth picking up and are there any good games for them?
!!!!!!!!

I would have snapped that up if Id seen it at a 'boot. I've always wanted a CDTV. :(

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:56 am

revgiblet wrote:Have to say, from what you guys are saying this seems like a real white elephant of a console.
It wasn't pushed as a console to be honest, more as a set-top box that sat under the telly and did stuff for the average person rather than exclusively for computer users - pretty much the same sort of idea as the CD-I really and just as doomed to fail because the average person wouldn't look at it as a computer (which was the idea) and usually felt that they didn't need several hundred quid's worth of CD player with some multimedia titles...

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:08 am

I think i still have a CDTV t-shirt in a drawer somewhere that was given away at the commodore show :?

Wasn't microcosm a CDTV game ? or was that the CDI ? I get them confused as they came out around the same time.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:17 am

Mirrorsoft did a couple of CDTV games - Falcon and Xenon 2 spring to mind (from memory) - it was all a long time ago now!
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:34 am

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:I think i still have a CDTV t-shirt in a drawer somewhere that was given away at the commodore show :?

Wasn't microcosm a CDTV game ? or was that the CDI ? I get them confused as they came out around the same time.
CD32

preownedgames.co.uk

Re:

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:11 am

Ash wrote:
preownedgames.co.uk wrote:I think i still have a CDTV t-shirt in a drawer somewhere that was given away at the commodore show :?

CD32
Well that's even more confusing. I never had any of the CD consoles at the time, they were too expensive.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:40 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Well that's even more confusing. I never had any of the CD consoles at the time, they were too expensive.
They're different generations, the CDTV is an A500 board and the CD32 is an A1200. i've got one of the latter and, when i can find all the bits that are in "storage", it's got an SX-1 attached to add 8Mb of fast RAM, a half gigabyte hard drive, floppy connection and keyboard - plus it boots into Workbench 3.1... =-)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:06 pm

Cinemaware brought out a talkie DOTC
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:39 pm

i so want a cdtv, but haven't ever seen one for sale since they were new! guess i'll find one oneday!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:37 pm

the cd-tv is a white elephant without a doubt , but its something you either love or hate I like them although I probably wouldnt buy one unless it were really cheap.
We are talking a 1990 or so cd laser here, how many of us have 2 yr old ps2s that are screwed imagine a 16 yr old laser in that place mmmm
What people have forgotten perhaps or maybe dont know is that even though the CDTV come with 1MB it lied as loads of 1meg games dont work , I got afree copy of 1MB knights of the sky from my mate when he realised he didnt have enough free ram once the Floppy drive was plugged in (yep it stole some ram lol)
loads of his collection wouldnt work and sadly the cd-tv was the death knoll for his amiga days as he sold on his A500 to buy it , and was dissapointed by what he actually had (an amiga 500 , with 1meg of ram that would only run 512k games with a cd drive built in which not many companys supported that well)
we enjoyed the Version of Sherlock homes consulting detective that appeared on it and the nice looking Wrath of the demon , but before long he had binned it and bought a Megadrive - gutted
I soldiered on with my A500+ till my PC days.
The cdtv also come with a little remote control thing that was kind of a black extended nes controller , radio controlled as a Joystik if i recall rightly.
overall though £50+ in gamestation lol they can keep em.
if you see one for a fiver maybe get it , if your really keen.
Id waste my money on a proper A500 red LED original though if I were you.
Keep on Rockin with the Lobster
Retro when it wasnt cool