Best Cannon Fodder Conversion?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shin_Gouki

Best Cannon Fodder Conversion?

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:29 am

I need opinions: what's the best port of Cannon Fodder and why?
真・豪鬼

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:37 am

Mega Drive was really good. Of course PC version you have the mouse which is a lot easier and natural. Those are only 2 I have so can't say much else.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:53 am

Amiga. I'd like to say Atari ST but I'd be lying.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:11 am

Yup def the Amiga....although the ST was perfectly ok too. This game really needed a mouse to enjoy properly.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:46 am

Agreed Amiga -no way you could play properly with a pad
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:22 am

You're saying "Port" which I think excludes the Amiga because it was the original format.

I'm saying Jaguar. The only console version with the real theme tune.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:36 am

Dudley wrote:You're saying "Port" which I think excludes the Amiga because it was the original format.

Which is a good thing? :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:48 pm

Dudley wrote:You're saying "Port" which I think excludes the Amiga because it was the original format.

God - you Jag fans don't know when to quit do you? :wink:

3DO with 3DO mouse - For the win.

"War - never been so much fun".

Will

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:29 pm

I'm a jag fan am I?

I challenge you to find a single post on this board where I've said something nice about it other than that one.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:35 pm

Dudley wrote:I'm a jag fan am I?

I challenge you to find a single post on this board where I've said something nice about it other than that one.
Damn closet Jag fan - just don't know when to quit.

:wink:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:49 am

The most impressive versions of Cannon Fodder were: Amiga, Atari ST, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, PC.

I still think the Amiga version was the best of the bunch. But the Jaguar & PC version were just as good, I'm biased to the Amiga 'cos I used to play CF on the miggy alot. I had problems with getting the PC (DOS) version to run correctly, but eventually got there (damn PC games)

I've never played the 3DO version, but I've seen screenshots & read reviews (I do my research ... will try to get the 3DO version, just to see what it's like)

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Exactly what I meant, the ol' 500 gave up the ghost about two months ago :wink:
woody.cool wrote:The most impressive versions of Cannon Fodder were: Amiga, Atari ST, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, PC.

I still think the Amiga version was the best of the bunch. But the Jaguar & PC version were just as good, I'm biased to the Amiga 'cos I used to play CF on the miggy alot. I had problems with getting the PC (DOS) version to run correctly, but eventually got there (damn PC games)

I've never played the 3DO version, but I've seen screenshots & read reviews (I do my research ... will try to get the 3DO version, just to see what it's like)
I'm a massive 3DO fan (much to the disgust of a few people!) so I might go for this version, and look for the mouse for better control.

Thanks all for your help, I'm becoming more and more addicted to this forum!!! 8)
真・豪鬼

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:44 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:I'm a massive 3DO fan (much to the disgust of a few people!) so I might go for this version, and look for the mouse for better control.

Thanks all for your help, I'm becoming more and more addicted to this forum!!! 8)
If you find the 3D0 version before I do, let me know what you think! I'd be interested to hear some opinions on it.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:57 am

It's a traditional 1993 shovelware(tm) port.

It doesn't take advantage of the extra horse power provided by the console, or the extra graphics capabilities and the CD was topped up with FMV and a sort of 'Sensible' music video - which while funny, wears thin after a while. It shows the guys from Sensible arsing about in US military uniforms blended in with bits from game while the game tune plays. ..and goes on for a bit too long too.

The other bit used to justify the 660Mb available to the developers is a pre-rendered cartoon of the game characters - again reasonably good but no reason to buy the game.

Canon Fodder 3DO looks and plays precisely like what it is. An Amiga game running on a 3DO. I don't think the Jag version is any different either.

There is no guarentee the 3DO mouse works with it either. I just threw that in to spite the Jag fans out there. :D (of which there seems to be many!)

...and even if it did work with the 3DO mouse, it would take a direct act of god to find one. Which means that you would be left playing with the 3DO Dpad - which is tear inducing for all but the very strong.

The best bit is the song. War, never beeeen soooooo much fun.. etc.,

....Go to your brother, kill him with your gun, leave him dying in his uniform lying in the sun! War never been so much fun... LOLZ!

Will aka '3DO Kid'.

http://fz1-3do.blog.co.uk <-- the bit that covers canon fodder is rubbish by the way - don't bother.

:oops:

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:57 pm

The Archimedes version was pretty good, I recall.