Would you class a yellow ps1 as mint?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

Re: Would you class a yellow ps1 as mint?

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:55 pm

It's worth negative feedback depending on their response. But I'd certainly be asking for my money back.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:40 am

Before sending it back, is it boxed and does it work? I'm always in the market for a another SPCH1002, I'll pay you what you paid.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:15 am

all you need is the following

(some friends of mine put this together =))
Retr0-Bright *bromine protination* repair =)

it will certainly deal with your little yellowing PS1, alas you would have to dismantal it from the plastics, and once completed the process you would have to use Armour all protecive UV coating (just a gentel spray =)) on all the plastic.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:33 am

This is truly the greatest post ever made. In the world. Ever.

I'm now looking at my yellowy 1040STe and Megafile with the eager eyes. oh man! :)

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:49 am

The retr0-bright process infact repairs the plastic thats been damaged by UV unstablized flame retardants.

in simple terms, the process takes off the oxygen atom from the chain causing the problem and replaces it with a hydrogen atom the way the plastic was originally made.

to do this, hydrogen peroxide (NOT CHLORINE BLEACH) provides a very oxygen starved, hydorgen bloated environment, using UV light (this light frequency is the resonance frquencey of the Bromine Atom) it destablizes the covalent bond of the bromine / oxygen. when this happens the mass amount of hydrogens sweep that oxygen away (and bond with it, turning to H20) replacing the end of the bromine a hydrogen.

to make this pernment you could use a plastic spray coating of "armour all" or such like as over time the yellowing would happen again, HOWEVER its just as easy to repeat the process again every 3 years or so.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:54 am

A discoloured console is not 'mint'. Ok , certain terms like 'rare' are common on Ebay , but the term is subjective , whereas mint is mint
Like others have said though , contact the seller and you'll more than likely come to a mutual agreement , as it's in no-one's best interest to have an unsatisfactory sale.,

Got to be honest though , if I was looking to buy a console off Ebay which I wanted to be in A1 condition, I'd only be looking at brand new in box
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:32 am

paranoid marvin wrote:A discoloured console is not 'mint'. Ok , certain terms like 'rare' are common on Ebay , but the term is subjective , whereas mint is mint
As far as Ebay are concerned "mint" is subjective:

"MNT: mint or in perfect condition (a subjective term that doesn't necessarily mean new)"
http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/acronyms.html

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:38 am

Matt_B wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:A discoloured console is not 'mint'. Ok , certain terms like 'rare' are common on Ebay , but the term is subjective , whereas mint is mint
As far as Ebay are concerned "mint" is subjective:

"MNT: mint or in perfect condition (a subjective term that doesn't necessarily mean new)"
http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/acronyms.html
But if mint = perfect ,the term 'perfect' is not subjective? It's not new , but then again it doesnt claim to be.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:14 am

...did anyone see that yellowy stuff turned back to it's original colour. It's awesome ! :D

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:46 am

Matt_B wrote:I'd suggest not giving negative feedback right away; most sellers will do anything, within reason, to avoid it and you should at least contact them first. I'd think that there's a half-decent chance that they'll agree that since mint means "as new" and new consoles are not yellow, the goods were not as described and you'll be entitled to either a discount or a refund.

That said, there's always going to be a certain amount of caveat emptor with Ebay. I don't think you'd have much comeback for instance if you complained that a "L@@K R@RE!" copy of Horace Goes Skiing wasn't actually that rare at all, or that a lightly scuffed disk that still played OK was defective. So, basically, if you paid £10-20 for an old console that still works, it's a bit cheeky to complain that the colour is a bit off. On the other hand, if you feel you paid over the odds for something that ought to have been in better condition, go for it.
The thing is, if it wasn't described as mint he wouldn't care.

But if it is, and you've obviously paid a premium for it because of that, it's justified.

If it's described as mint then it needs to be in a condition you'd be happy with buying it new from a shop. That's what mint mean, unfortunately ebay's loose relationship with English will screw you here.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:13 pm

20hz wrote:the console has very noticeable yellowing
and im peed off
quite appropriate... :D
20hz wrote:I won an ebay auction boxed playstaion 1 audiophile described as both box and console are mint! so ideal for a collector.
I doubt a yellowed item would be 'ideal for a collector', unless it wasn't possble to obtain such item in a different state.
It's worth to check with the seller for a refund, before going for negative feedback and then being forced to keep an unwanted item.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:14 am

Dudley wrote:
Matt_B wrote:I'd suggest not giving negative feedback right away; most sellers will do anything, within reason, to avoid it and you should at least contact them first. I'd think that there's a half-decent chance that they'll agree that since mint means "as new" and new consoles are not yellow, the goods were not as described and you'll be entitled to either a discount or a refund.

That said, there's always going to be a certain amount of caveat emptor with Ebay. I don't think you'd have much comeback for instance if you complained that a "L@@K R@RE!" copy of Horace Goes Skiing wasn't actually that rare at all, or that a lightly scuffed disk that still played OK was defective. So, basically, if you paid £10-20 for an old console that still works, it's a bit cheeky to complain that the colour is a bit off. On the other hand, if you feel you paid over the odds for something that ought to have been in better condition, go for it.
The thing is, if it wasn't described as mint he wouldn't care.

But if it is, and you've obviously paid a premium for it because of that, it's justified.

If it's described as mint then it needs to be in a condition you'd be happy with buying it new from a shop. That's what mint mean, unfortunately ebay's loose relationship with English will screw you here.
That's pretty much what i was saying. It's wrong, but don't necessarily expect Ebay to find in your favour if you raise a dispute due to the fine print.

For future reference, the magic words are "Condition: New" which, typically for Ebay, doesn't actually mean "new" but rather fully working and free from visible rare and tear. It's also supposed to be unused, but it's not like you could easily verify that.

I've heard tales, although I've never done this personally, that if you've paid PayPal by credit card, getting your company to cancel the transaction and returning the goods by special delivery will almost certainly result in a claim being settled in your favour. Hopefully you won't have to take it that far though.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:02 am

Matt_B wrote: For future reference, the magic words are "Condition: New" which, typically for Ebay, doesn't actually mean "new" but rather fully working and free from visible rare and tear. It's also supposed to be unused, but it's not like you could easily verify that.
Being yellow isn't "rare"(sic) and tear"?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:39 am

Dudley wrote:
Matt_B wrote: For future reference, the magic words are "Condition: New" which, typically for Ebay, doesn't actually mean "new" but rather fully working and free from visible rare and tear. It's also supposed to be unused, but it's not like you could easily verify that.
Being yellow isn't "rare"(sic) and tear"?
Doh! Should be wear and tear. "Rare", of course, means nothing of the sort on Ebay.

Edit: Also, was the PS sold as "Condition: New"? If it was just "Used" you've got no guarantees on wear and tear; just that it should work properly unless the description says otherwise.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:11 am

Rinoa wrote:Definitely not mint at all, but agree with everyone else who has suggested contacting the seller first - give him a chance to rectify the problem. If he won't then open a Paypal dispute and leave negative feedback.
Agree with this, depends on the seller. Some sellers find an old retro computer/console and instantly think theyre worth tons or might put MINT as it works and its a 'classic' old machine from 10+ years ago. My parents find some of my old crap and would think its mint as its a working Grandstand game from the 80's despite it looking knackered. Again they think its 'mint' as its 25 years old and still working.

To a collector his version of mint is totally different, everything has to be perfect. Come across some people in the past asking some very anal questions about stuff i'm selling ! Would hope you could have seen the colour in the picture though ?

But just think mint means different things to people, would always try to check first. But granted you will get 'some' buyers who put MINT on all their auctions no matter what. If the guys feedback isnt bad then i would probably think hes not the type to purposely lie about selling something which he thinks is fine.