Would you class a yellow ps1 as mint?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

20hz

Would you class a yellow ps1 as mint?

Post by 20hz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 am

I won an ebay auction boxed playstaion 1 audiophile described as both box and console are mint! so ideal for a collector.

when it arrived the console has very noticeable yellowing deffo would not class that as mint!

im a perfectionist and im peed off now as i did not want a yellow console. is there anything i can do? i dont want to recive neg feedback or anything :?

ismellicecream

Re: Would you class a yellow ps1 as mint?

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:38 am

Its a tough one. Most sellers are good enough to state yellowing - you could try sending a polite message saying it isnt up to the level you want, and is a return possible - but he might just reply that you should have asked before bidding.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:46 am

I don't think the way Ebay works these days that you, as a buyer can actually receive negative feedback, precisely for the reason you are stating as you are scared you will get it back yourself. Don't be, if you feel you are been wronged give him negative feedback so other buyers are aware of him and his tricks. But only do that after you have emailed him and explained how you feel, if he comes good and apologises and replaces your PS1 and refunds you P&P of sending it back then you can leave positive, but if he doesn't then I would most definitely leave negative feedback, but you must communicate first.

And no, I bloody well would not class a yellowed PS1 as "mint". At all. There is no excuse for that and had a very similar thing happen years ago with a snes, I moaned about it and sent it back and he made sure I received a mint one, what I paid for and originally wanted!
Last edited by C=Style on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:47 am

No definatly wouldnt describe that as mint, i think you have every right to complain as the seller is taking the censored, and dont worry about getting a Neg Feedback, buyers cant receive negative feedback

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 am

I'd suggest not giving negative feedback right away; most sellers will do anything, within reason, to avoid it and you should at least contact them first. I'd think that there's a half-decent chance that they'll agree that since mint means "as new" and new consoles are not yellow, the goods were not as described and you'll be entitled to either a discount or a refund.

That said, there's always going to be a certain amount of caveat emptor with Ebay. I don't think you'd have much comeback for instance if you complained that a "L@@K R@RE!" copy of Horace Goes Skiing wasn't actually that rare at all, or that a lightly scuffed disk that still played OK was defective. So, basically, if you paid £10-20 for an old console that still works, it's a bit cheeky to complain that the colour is a bit off. On the other hand, if you feel you paid over the odds for something that ought to have been in better condition, go for it.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:31 am

Yellowing is a bit below par. My SCPH1002 wasn't sold as 'mint' (trebour?) but it's not yellow. I have 3 PS1s and none of them are yellow - how the hell did they manage that?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:36 am

Matt_B wrote: So, basically, if you paid £10-20 for an old console that still works, it's a bit cheeky to complain that the colour is a bit off.
You really think so? I don't think there should be some obligatory understanding that because a console is old you should expect something less an item description says. Regardless of the age of an item and the money you paid, if an item is not as described then it is false advertising. I think in this particular case it's pretty bad, a yellowed console (PS1 of all things which were originally grey, not white) is a pretty big omission from the item description. That is not mint by any stretch of the imagination.
will2097 wrote:Yellowing is a bit below par. My SCPH1002 wasn't sold as 'mint' (trebour?) but it's not yellow. I have 3 PS1s and none of them are yellow - how the hell did they manage that?
Exactly, I've never seen a yellowed PS1! haha
Last edited by C=Style on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 am

Must admit I've never seen a yellowed PS1 (not the original big grey one anyway) so that must have been some going...

Anyway, as has already been said, you have nothing to lose by complaining and can even raise an 'item not as described' dispute with Ebay/Paypal if the seller is not forthcoming with a suitable offer of compensation...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Cannibal Bob

Post by Cannibal Bob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 am

firebreather wrote:No definatly wouldnt describe that as mint,...
Same here; I would describe it as more lemon.

...sorry. :(

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:31 am

C=Style wrote:
Matt_B wrote: So, basically, if you paid £10-20 for an old console that still works, it's a bit cheeky to complain that the colour is a bit off.
You really think so? I don't think there should be some obligatory understanding that because a console is old you should expect something less an item description says. Regardless of the age of an item and the money you paid, if an item is not as described then it is false advertising. I think in this particular case it's pretty bad, a yellowed console (PS1 of all things which were originally grey, not white) is a pretty big omission from the item description. That is not mint by any stretch of the imagination.
The problem would be that, although mint is used a technical term for the condition of coins, cards, books etc., it's become so debased on Ebay, along with the likes of "rare" and "excellent" that it's essentially worthless elsewhere. Not mentioning yellowing is certainly an omission, but with the way Ebay works, the onus is on the buyer to ask such questions if the seller isn't forthcoming. Whilst you've got protection from descriptions that are blatantly wrong or goods that don't work at all, it's starting to get into a grey area when you're disputing the "mintness" of something.

Like I said before, I'd think that most reasonable sellers would offer a refund or a discount, just for the sake of avoiding negative feedback. However, an unreasonable seller prepared to dig their heels in and might prove rather harder to get your money back from and you've got to question whether it's worth trying too hard. Personally, I'd only bother if I felt I'd been conned into paying over the odds; after all, a faded console will still probably play the games just as well.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am

A lot of folk who aren't collectors would regard something that was unmarked and undamaged as 'mint', including minor discoloration (a non gaming seller might not even be aware that a console is discoloured). I would definitely contact seller first and raise a polite question about the apparent difference in the condition to that which was implied.

If I'm after something 'mint' I would generally always ask specific questions about the condition that aren't always apparent in pics. You'll also tend to find that most sellers who understand 'Mint', 'As New', etc will provide a detailed description of all the relevant elements in their ad. If something is just described as mint I would always ask for a more detailed description or more pics.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:58 am

Matt_B wrote: The problem would be that, although mint is used a technical term for the condition of coins, cards, books etc., it's become so debased on Ebay, along with the likes of "rare" and "excellent" that it's essentially worthless elsewhere. Not mentioning yellowing is certainly an omission, but with the way Ebay works, the onus is on the buyer to ask such questions if the seller isn't forthcoming. Whilst you've got protection from descriptions that are blatantly wrong or goods that don't work at all, it's starting to get into a grey area when you're disputing the "mintness" of something.

Like I said before, I'd think that most reasonable sellers would offer a refund or a discount, just for the sake of avoiding negative feedback. However, an unreasonable seller prepared to dig their heels in and might prove rather harder to get your money back from and you've got to question whether it's worth trying too hard. Personally, I'd only bother if I felt I'd been conned into paying over the odds; after all, a faded console will still probably play the games just as well.
OK when you put it like that I understand where you are coming from now. It does depend on the situation, a PS1 which probably only cost a few quid isn't the end of the World, but it's still wrong, regardless of whether it was sold on Ebay or anywhere else.

To 20hz:

Are you sure that the yellowing is the sun exposure type and not just ground in dirt? I've never seen yellowing on a PS1 as many other people here are saying, it's a possibility that it maybe just needs a bit of a clean. I'd run a cloth over it before emailing the seller tbh.

Videogameboy

Post by Videogameboy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:05 pm

LOL hahahahahah

As I used to collect trainers,
my way of thinking is.

If I brought a pair of unworn trainers which were sunfaded or yellowed, i'd be very unhappy!

In reality, if you brought a White Ferrari and it arrived to you as an off white colour, you'd be furious.

If you brought a pair of white boxers and opened it up and it was kinda stained colour... I doubt you'd impress your partner in bed.

VGB

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:59 pm

I agree with giving negative feedback.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Definitely not mint at all, but agree with everyone else who has suggested contacting the seller first - give him a chance to rectify the problem. If he won't then open a Paypal dispute and leave negative feedback.