Anyone use Daphne??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

I thought the auto downloads still required access to an original disc of some type to prove you owned a legit copy of an original Digital Leisure product. That's certainly how it used to work - you'd throw in your DL disc and it would download the files for the game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:53 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I thought the auto downloads still required access to an original disc of some type to prove you owned a legit copy of an original Digital Leisure product. That's certainly how it used to work - you'd throw in your DL disc and it would download the files for the game.
That would make more commercial sense!

I have all the disks in question anyway, so I'll have a go and let you know...

driver695

DAPHNE Question Reasked

Post by driver695 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi again. Just wondered if anyone could advise on this?
I'm wanting to try to run the DAPHNE emulator on my laptop. But I'm a little worried by required file size (my laptop only has a 40GB Hard Drive).

I am able to obtain the MPEG files for each game on DVD. However, I was wondering whether I *need* to save them on my Hard Drive? Is it possible to run DAPHNE - and *point* DAPHNE at my DVD drive as source of the MPEGS/files - then play away? (Swapping the DVDs for each game).

Many thanks in advance - Much appreciated - & sorry for the repetition.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:18 am

As far as I know it won't run directly from the DVD as the audio and video files have to be ripped and converted from the DVD file into files that the emulator understands.

If there is a later verion that does read from the DVD I haven't heard of it.

Having said that, Dragon's lare and Space Ace etc. generally only take up a couple of Gig, and you can always convert this files and then store them back to a DVDR, with some games you can get the converted file for more than one of them saved on to one DVDR, don't get them mixed up though!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I thought the auto downloads still required access to an original disc of some type to prove you owned a legit copy of an original Digital Leisure product. That's certainly how it used to work - you'd throw in your DL disc and it would download the files for the game.
Don't know as I'm still running my old Daphne setup, but reading the info on the site (and the fact that the latest version of Daphne starts downloading a xxxGB sized file) it looks as though a Digital Leisure disk is no longer a necessity.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

driver695

Post by driver695 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:26 pm

GarryG wrote:As far as I know it won't run directly from the DVD as the audio and video files have to be ripped and converted from the DVD file into files that the emulator understands.

If there is a later verion that does read from the DVD I haven't heard of it.

Having said that, Dragon's lare and Space Ace etc. generally only take up a couple of Gig, and you can always convert this files and then store them back to a DVDR, with some games you can get the converted file for more than one of them saved on to one DVDR, don't get them mixed up though!
I think the disks I'm hoping to lay my hands on contain the MPEG info already ripped. So I think I shall risk it - as you say a couple of GB for Space Ace? Worth it :)

Ringman

Post by Ringman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Yeah I'd like to get ahold of this for the XBOX because I play alot of the dragon's lair style games on a dance pad. I know the game style is not to most people's liking, but on a dance pad its a whole new ball game. Its more entertaining then DDR (IMO) and it makes these games alot more challenging. I've done so far on the Dance pad, Dragon's Lair, Time Gal, Revenge of the Ninja, and Road Blaster, but these have been the YUCK Sega CD versions as its the only ones I've been able to get ahold of so far.....

driver695

Post by driver695 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Ringman wrote:Yeah I'd like to get ahold of this for the XBOX because I play alot of the dragon's lair style games on a dance pad. I know the game style is not to most people's liking, but on a dance pad its a whole new ball game. Its more entertaining then DDR (IMO) and it makes these games alot more challenging. I've done so far on the Dance pad, Dragon's Lair, Time Gal, Revenge of the Ninja, and Road Blaster, but these have been the YUCK Sega CD versions as its the only ones I've been able to get ahold of so far.....
Man! That's some CRAZZZZZZZYYYYYYY idea :shock:

I LOVE it :D :D :D